It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin/ No anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
    mishelle76
    (female)

mishelle76 HB User
    Low Ferritin/ No anemia

Hi there,

I'm getting lots of info. from fellow posters here. I have been seeing my naturopath again and she did a little blood work. Testing vitamin d which is a little low, thyroid is okay/ ferritin levels and checked for anemia. Here's what the test showed:

Ferritin: 8 ng/mL
    Hgb: 12.6
    Hct: 37.3

Doc. said I had no anemias but low iron stores. So I just started a good iron supplement yesterday hoping I'll feel better. I'm super tired, irritable, have insomnia, lots more heart palpitations than normal and my hair and skin is terribly dry. From what I'm reading, there seems to be two views on low ferritin without anemia. It would make sense to me that I wouldn't show anemic signs until my Hgb & Hct were low since ferritin is storage. Others are saying that's not the case. My doc didn't explain any of this to me but it was a phone conversation and not face to face where we had more time. But then again, this was 2 weeks prior to menstruation so by now, I may be even worse off. Does it seem my my Hgb and Hct are on the low end? They fell within range but surely not in the middle range.

By the way, I have had anemia in the past and my mother has struggled with it too. I don't understand what the cause is since all other blood work is fine.

Thanks for reading and hopefully responding.
    35 years old and rarely sick....just exhausted!

~Shelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
    Clare1975
    (female)

Clare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin/ No anemia

Hi Shelly, thank you for raising this problem! Yes, I can totally relate to what you are saying and I have no answers unfortunately! I could be different to some as I have a weak positive ANA and joint/muscle pain (no swelling). No other abnormalities have come up with further ANA testing so I am at a dead end as to what is wrong with me. Have you had your ANA (antibodies) tested? Clare x

Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
    mishelle76
    (female)

mishelle76 HB User

Hi Clare,

I have not lately. I had full blood work done last year and the only issue was a vitamin D deficiency. I'm not sure they tested my antibodies. I figure I'll take my iron for a couple months, see the doc. again and discuss this. Maybe we have to go the long drawn-out route to narrow it down, huh?

Last edited by mishelle76; 07-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
    Clare1975
    (female)

Hi, yes you are right. We get treated for what is obvious or visible but they may be off-sets for something else (i.e. autoimmune) that has yet to materialise. Some days I think its just my job (I work as a carer and cleaner) but I remember that I didn't used to hurt like this before and had more energy. I would really love to rule out Hypothyroidism but I believe that I have only the TSH test carried out and not the F3 + F4.

How do you feel at the moment? Are you able to sleep properly at night?

Clare x

Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
    mishelle76
    (female)

mishelle76 HB User

Clare,

It seems my doc. only ran the TSH test as well. Is it when this one comes back normal, they don't bother with the other? I question myself as well wondering if I've always felt so exhausted. I guess at times it could be work and typical life stressors but then again, we do know our bodies pretty well and mine is telling me to "pay attention!"

I'm feeling okay.....still tired but it will take a while for the iron to do its job. I have noticed my sleep is better already so that's a start.

How are you feeling? How was your weekend?

~Shelly

Old 07-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
    Clare1975
    (female)

Hi Shelly, yes if the initial TSH is within 'normal range' then most doctors will not test any further. I only know this through reading the thyroid board. I move between this board, Fibro, Lupus and Thyroid to find out information. It's like a total minefield. My joints are hurting at the moment on movement - mainly the last joint on one thumb (the one closest to the thumb tip) and a few others on and off depending on what I'm doing. I'm not taking painkillers so its not too bad and I can't see any swelling which is a good thing.

Yes, I too put aches and pains down to overdoing work/house work but then we didn't always feel this way? Try to rest as much as you can - it will help with your iron levels. Please see if you can find a way for further testing, if you can get past the 'normal range' TSH doctor and get F3 + F4 tested. Keep in touch x Clare

Closed Thread