It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Am I iron deficient or not??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
    Pipsal
    (female)

Pipsal HB User
    Am I iron deficient or not??

I have severe diffuse hairloss for about 10 years now. It started becomming noticeable to others when I was about 20, now 30 and I have to wear a wig. I have never noticed a significant shed, there have been a few times where I noticed more hairloss than others, but if I had thicker hair I don't think I would have noticed it (every strand counts as I only have about 20 per square centimetre now!).

I have been tested for everything, and nothing comes back conclusive. One thing I am looking into now is my Iron levels. These have been checked over the years, and sometimes I am told to take supplements as I am a bit deficient, other times apparently it is all ok and I am told to stop.

An example of this is the results below - first was November, second was January. In November I was called back by Doc and told I needed to take Iron 3 times a day - in January it was perfectly fine and I was told to stop. To me, the results look very similar overall though. And this is how they have looked for years (I have just asked doc to print out results over 10yrs so I can have a look at this).

Could iron results like this cause hairloss/weak hair re-growth? Or are they in fact perfectly normal?

NOV JAN
    Serum Iron
    8 umol/L 13 umol/L (10-33)

Transferrin IBC
    107 umol/L 96 umol/L (45-70)

Transferrin Saturation
    7% 14% (16-50)

Serum Ferritin Assay
    64 ug/L 63 ug/L (15-290)

Serum Transferrin
    4.7 4.2 (??)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
    hmm82
    (female)

hmm82 HB User
    Re: Am I iron deficient or not??

it is interesting your ferritin is not low but TIBC and serum transferrin is still high i.e. out of range... (you did not post reference ranges for serum transferrin so I'm just assuming it is similar to my lab ranges).

and, I would say the saturation is still way too low.

did they check your ESR (sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) to see if maybe inflammation raised the ferritin? though in that case transferrin should be low.

if no inflammation I would take some more iron.

note I did not have hair loss issues even at a ferritin of 6, but this could be very individual. btw I would notice hair loss easily as I don't have thick hair and never did but in my case it is genetic, unrelated to iron status, my mother is the same. but certainly no need to wear a wig!

Closed Thread