It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Relief finally some relief.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
    WOtoLow
    (male)

WOtoLow HB UserWOtoLow HB User
    Relief finally some relief.

Hi guys im posting this here for all those sufferers who are giving up hope or have already lossed hope that there is light at the end of the tunnell.

I have suffered anxiety for years..same old story went to the E.R many times tried to push through it self medicating drinking too much smoking too much but the beast was always there...always.

6 months ago for no particular reason i spiralled into the worst anxiety you could ever imagine....Attacks seemed to last 24/7 severe attacks to the point where for hours on end i would lie on the floor alone with body shakes uncontrollably. Doctors dosed me heavily on 2 mgs of xanax a day and 50 mg of muerlax just so i could walk to the toilet. It was un imaginable i went from a sucessfull individual with a carreer, girlfriend, friends great life to a shaking mess just wanting to end it all so i could ease the pain.I would finally pass out sleep 4 hours and when i woke i would immeadiately search for how i was feeling and it would be just the same.

I was placed on lexapro and took it for 6 weeks and when nothing happened i truly thought my life was a loss cause, i had no hope, my body was exausted from constant anxiety and i couldnt go one more day

Then my psychologist told me one thing. My anxiety is causing my anxiety..accept it realise that your physical symptoms are caused by your anxiety and when you wake up just think yep i don't feel good i know why i have anxiety and not constantly search for the feelings. The next day i just accepted i felt bad whenever my throat started to close over or other symptoms i just thought theres my anxiety again. The next day the Lexapro kicked in...from 0%not working to 90% working. 3 weeks later i dont take xanax i feel great i have my zest for life back,

when i start to feel an anxiety symptom i laugh at myself and think theres that anxiety again dont try and fight it do something to focus my mind and it subsides..

I Love Lexapro it saved my life.

with a program of medication diet, exercise and therapy there is hope

dont give up

Last edited by msmod; 06-28-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Removed curse words. Ms_Mod

The following user gives a hug of support to WOtoLow:
    Ashley990 (06-29-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to WOtoLow For This Useful Post:
    molar73 (06-28-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
    mebbuddy
    (female)

mebbuddy HB Usermebbuddy HB Usermebbuddy HB User
    Re: Relief finally some relief.

You are so RIGHT! That's exactly how we all have to deal with it. I am so happy that you are feeling better and learning to cope. Hooray for you!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
    Kayjax11
    (female)

Kayjax11 HB UserKayjax11 HB User

Yes, medication helps a lot, but I also think by you finally accepting it, helped more than you realize. I can still have bouts with this, but accepting it, and facing it head on, is what helps when the meds dont

happy for you, never give in

Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
    dizzygal954
    (female)

dizzygal954 HB Userdizzygal954 HB User

im glad to hear you found relief....

i have been feeling dizzy for about 4 months and all test are clear,bbut i find myself waking up EVERY morning and its the FIRST thing i think about,being anxious and or dizzy.... the dr says she thinks its anxiety and thinking about starting me off on some meds, but dont know which one yet.

how many meds did you have to go through till you found one that worked for you?

did it have side effects?

im nervous about having to take meds, is it a life time thing?

did you do therapy? or hypnosis?

Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
    WOtoLow
    (male)

Hi Dizzy. I went through a long period on xanax, but due to my fear of addiction..i never took the amount that i really needed and continually suffered. A major problem it seems with anxiety sufferers is the anxiety about the medication itself. Lexapro worked for me at 10 mg. However and this is a big however...I suffered every imaginable side effect and it took almost the full 6 weeks to work. But work it did. And im truly thankfull for it.

My beleif is that i gave Lexapro every opportunity to work for me because I am in therapy which is a must. I cut alcohol (for the time being) any caffene and refined sugars from my diet.

Lexapro gives me the opportunity to adress the cause of my anxiety without constantly focussing on the symptoms. Anxiety is a cycle...break that cycle and you will get almost immediate relief. Be that with medication or therapy or whatever..i wish you the best in breaking the cycle.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
    dizzygal954
    (female)

i guess im trying to break my cycle so i cant STOP worrying every single minute of my life about my health.

going to see therapist again today and hopefully he willt each me somethings today cause i cannot afford him for other treatments and im going to talk to him about this today.

i keep hearing good things and bad things about lexapro, im REALLY scared about the side effets becuase i dont want to feel worse then i ALREADY feel......im super scary to think about that

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
    WOtoLow
    (male)

I feel your pain....Im not pushing AD's on anyone...However lexapro gave me a relief from the cycle of obsessive thought. The side effects were bad for the first week. Increased anxiety was the worst but i had xanax to cover that. People on health boards tend to freak out over benzo's and make anxiety sufferers worry about another aspect of their life. But for me, and i have an addicitive personality, i had no problems weaning off them when the lexapo kicked in. In Australia we have a public health care system so fortunatley worrying about costs of psychs and medicine wasn't an issue. Lexapro helped me but it was just one part of my programme. See your doctor, see your psych, eat well, exercise and it will pass. It will. Best of luck keep in touch to let me know how your traveling.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
    dizzygal954
    (female)

are you still taking lexapro?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
    WOtoLow
    (male)

Yeh ive been on lexapro for 3 months..the only reason i want to get off it is so i can have a big night on the beers without worrying about getting too drunk. Im Australian so please dont judge. Apart from that lexapro has been better than i could ever imagine. I dont feel a drug like effect, i just feel normal. Like i did before the anxiety. I actually forget i have anxiety some days.. and thats more than i could of ever dreamed of. PLease keep in touch let me know how your tracking. Mayber moving to a country with a public health care system is what most people on these boards need. It makes me sick to think you have to re consider treatment because of its price.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
    dizzygal954
    (female)

yea its crazy expensive for help here but i cant pickup and move either =)...

i think i will be strating lexapro next week and im glad to hear its helping you. im hopeing for the same results....how long till you felt normal again? does it make you feel like a zombie?....did the xanax help decrease the side effects?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
    Luvmyhorse
    (female)

Luvmyhorse HB User

I have to agree with what WOtolow said - Lexapro doesn't give me any drug like effects either and it has made me feel like myself again. I also forget I have anxiety too, which is wonderful because I was obsessed over it for a while. Maybe it would have the same affect on you....never know until you try.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
    dizzygal954
    (female)

you guys have been a big help to me....i dont have anyone to talk to about this cause nobody i know deals with anxiety problems.

the therapist said lexapro is a great place to start, so do i tell the psychiatrist that i would like to try that one or will he suggest one?

im REALLY worried about the side effects when starting the meds. did you take xanax or something to help get through the side effects?....

i cant wait to feel normal again.....

Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
    Luvmyhorse
    (female)

Luvmyhorse HB User
    Talking Re: Relief finally some relief.

It helps to have someone to talk to that suffers the same thing as you do....I'm lucky to have a co-worker/friend that suffers from anxiety as well and we can talk and make each other feel better. You can suggest to your doctor that you would like to try Lexapro, but I would go with whatever they suggest to you. They probably know best, but I know that it is working for me so far. They may give you Xanax or something in that class to go with the SSRI until it starts working in your system. I had to use Klonopin (same class as Xanax) for a few days until it got in my system. You will feel normal again...but realize it will take a few weeks. We all have to hang in there....one day we will feel better!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
    WOtoLow
    (male)

I definately needed the xanax...I was taking it anyway but after 6 weeks i came off no problems..Talk to your doctor and tailor a plan thats right for you. Dont view medication as a cure just part of the program.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
    dizzygal954
    (female)

i was reading somewhere that the SSRI like lexapro and other ones (i think), need something else to go along with it like effexor (sp?).......or do you just take the lexapro? and occasional xananx or something similar when needed?

i dont wanna be put on 1232432 kinds of meds!.......

i had therapy yesterday and it was great, then my car broke down on the side of the road in 95 degree weather(yep sunny south florida) and by suprise today im actually feeling pretty normal (fingers crossed)

i dont know if the xanax i took last night is still in my system (.5ish at like 11 pm, it is now 12:00 noon the next day) or the CBT therapy has been helping, i have been trying to use the tools she is teaching me.

makes me even question the meds......

Closed Thread