It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• 18, Constant Nausea, Acid Reflux....help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
    sviatos
    (female)

sviatos HB User
    18, Constant Nausea, Acid Reflux....help

I am 19 years old and have had constant digestive issue since i was young.

My Doctor has vaguely told me i have GERD or IBS
    (runs in my family).
    Have had no further testing done apart from a blood test:Tested negative for Celiacs.

Here are my symptoms:

Daily Nausea
    Hiccups
    Feeling full after small amount of food
    Bloating(often before i have eaten)
    Waking up feeling Nauseous
    Loss of appetite
    Dizziness
    Anxiety Symptoms
    Stomach pain/discomfort
    Acid Reflux
    Heartburn
    Sometimes feel a renching feeling in stomach
    Jaw and Cheek pain
    Pressure in back of throat/pulled throat musscle.
    Have not lost weight

There have been many times i have had to sit up for hours and rub my stomach to fall asleep.
    Or sat in the bathroom thinking i was going to vomit.
    Have tried Losec & Ranitidine & Gaviscon and Quickeze.
    All have helped but symptoms have returned.

Have kept a food diary and nothing sticks out as to what makes me feel sick.
    But i have a suspicion that it could be wheat or gluten?
    Am so fed up with always feeling sick.

Can any body see anything that it could be or have similar things happen to them?
    Am interested in listening to other peoples storeis, especially who have suffered from a young age.

I wouldnt consider it all to be very severe or life threatening but to feel sick most days and struggle with feeling normal is so tiring.

Have kept a food diary and cannot seem to pinpint anything as sometimes i can eat wheat/gluten and feel fine.

Have not had any testing as i have come to the conclusion that most people do not find many answers with it.

Last edited by sviatos; 10-14-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
    CharBerry
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
    Re: 18, Constant Nausea, Acid Reflux....help

Bless your heart, you are much to young to have to have these medical issues. Although, I do know a few your age that have these same problems. It does sound like GERD, which can be treated with meds (if one doesn't work, don't give up, try another)
    Find a good gastro, demand test for an accurate diagnoses and if all else fails, seek a surgeon for fundo. At your age, I can't see taking meds the rest of your life. First off, find out what the real problem is (and that's not always easy). You may have to adjust your diet and leave off a lot of things people your age enjoy but to feel good and get better will be worth it. I do think you will get better once you begin the right meds and diet. Good Luck to You.

CharBerry

Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

I had the same exact symptoms almost my whole life....Actually I still have them.
    I would say that part of your problem sounds like general anxiety. IBS can cause anxiety since you feel crappy, and the anxiety makes all symptoms worse...its a cycle. The jaw problem could be also anxiety related, I tend to clench my jaw and grind my teeth which causes pain in my head and jaw.
    Also, if you start getting pain under your right rib get your gallbladder checked out... that causes nausea as well.

Good Luck!

Last edited by alex12; 11-10-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
    Elisa123
    (female)

Elisa123 HB User

Hi there, sorr you are suffering with this. It sounds like you have gastroparesis from what you described, nasea, fullness after a couple bites, ect....those are all symptoms of a motility disorder. I would have a gastric emptying study done to see if your stomach empties properly. Good luck

Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
    bettyboop474
    (female)

bettyboop474 HB User

Hey i kno how you feel. im 14 and i hav CONSTANT nasuea for 3 years..i cant even remeber how its liek to not feel sick! its screwed up my life so bad, i always ate healtrhy and normal...it randomly came on....anyway i tried L-glutamine, it sterntghens muslces and etres them back to normal like the LES and i foyund it helped me quite a bit...try it hope it helps you!!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
    mocha1061
    (female)

mocha1061 HB User

It could be Acid reflux, GERD, or Chronic gastritus. My 15 year old son has this, and has suffered with it for at least 4 years. he has all the symptoms that you have. And he did have both a scope down his throat and colonsocopy. He is taking Zegerid for now, which has helped only slightly, and he has been on it for 3 months. Good luck with whatever you find, it is a long hard road...I know, watching my son go through this has been very hard.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
    anthony2340
    (male)

anthony2340 HB User

Hi sviatos,

Your symptoms are almost exactly like mine. I have had it for 4 and a half years. I basically have no appetite, often feel an urge to be sick and have lost weight because of it. I have to remind myself to eat and I usually feel worse if I don't.

I get brain fog and often dizzy, stressful situation exasperate the problem. The dizziness can come out of nowhere. Usually the severe dizziness is short lived but afterwards I just don't feel right. It has made work so much harder and I'm sure people can notice I am struggling.

Have you had any success in treatment? I am relieved I am not the only one with this condition. The doctors I have seen have no idea.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, First of all you should ask your Dr to refer you for an Endoscopy, its the only way to get to the bottom of your symptoms. Two and half years ago I had the very same problem and an Endoscopy/Biopsy revealed I had H.Pylori, this is a nasty bacteria in the stomach, the only treatment for it is an Antibiotic regime, I had all your symptoms and it can appear at any age. If you havent had an Endoscopy then you must as its the only way to get the correct treatment. I Wish You Well, Solofelix.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
    anthony2340
    (male)

anthony2340 HB User

Thanks for the quick response solofelix!

I will be sure to get the test done. Most of the doctors I have seen immediately think it's psychological due to an increase in symptoms when nervous/anxious but even when I'm home resting I can still feel just as terrible. I realise the brain is powerful but I don't think it's the cause. Did your doctors do the same?

Out of curiosity, after you started the antibiotics how quickly did you start to notice the difference? I take it you are completely well now? I can barely remember what it feels like to be normal again.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Many, many chronic health problems get worse under stress. That does not mean that stress is the primary cause, that's just how the human mind and body work.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
    jesslei9
    (female)

jesslei9 HB User

I was dealing with chronic nausea for years, and my GI doctor thought I was making it up because even though I was vomiting a couple of times a week (sometimes every day) I was not losing weight. You should request a HIDA scan of your gallbladder! It can cause a lot of the symptoms you've described, and I just recently had mine out and.. guess what? No more nausea, no more heartburn, no more pain, or loss of appetite! So you should definitely get it checked out. :] Good luck!!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
    mocha1061
    (female)

mocha1061 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jesslei9 View Post
    I was dealing with chronic nausea for years, and my GI doctor thought I was making it up because even though I was vomiting a couple of times a week (sometimes every day) I was not losing weight. You should request a HIDA scan of your gallbladder! It can cause a lot of the symptoms you've described, and I just recently had mine out and.. guess what? No more nausea, no more heartburn, no more pain, or loss of appetite! So you should definitely get it checked out. :] Good luck!!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
    mocha1061
    (female)

mocha1061 HB User

I just want to say how much I sympathize with all of you here...I have watched my son suffer with constant nausea and pain for at least 6 years, maybe longer. He is 17 yrs old, and has every test there is. Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, gastric emptying test, gall baldder test, lactose test, every one. They were all normal. And yes, they also told him it was due to anxiety. Put him on a anti depressant. Nothing has helped. Nothing. He suffers every day of his life, and it never goes away. He does have acid reflux and gerd, and the meds he takes for that does help the acid refux, but does nothing at all for the constant nausea. He missed 3 months of school this year. We are at a complete loss as to what to do next. We may be heading to Cleveland Clinic. Just wish someone out there as far as Dr.s would be able to figure out what all these people, who have these same symptoms, and who are NOT crazy, have wrong with them. Because it IS something. Not just in their heads!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
    ashleyrose0
    (female)

ashleyrose0 HB User

hey sviatos
    I am currently suffering from the same symptoms that you listed like down
    to a T, so I was wondering if you had ever found out what was
    wrong ? any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm tired of feeling like this !

Old 07-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
    realred
    (male)

realred HB User

Hi, I had almost identicle symptoms to you and ended up having H. Pilori infection. Ask your doctor for a blood test.

Closed Thread