It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Switching from Neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #31
    Ihate2w8
    (female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User
    Re: Switching from Neurontin

Hang in there & keep trying. From what I was told, the standar dosage of Lyrica is 150 mg so seems like your initial dosing might've been a little low.

I take the 150 mg & see the same results as with the 3k mg of gabapentine. I think we can go as high as 600 mg on the Lyrica. I think that tops the dosage for this med so even at 150 mg we have room to increase if needed.

I hope the increase in dosage starts to help you. I think that it will.

I'm sorry you've been in so much pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ihate2w8 For This Useful Post:
    RisingParrot (07-19-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #32
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ihate2w8 View Post
    Hang in there & keep trying. From what I was told, the standar dosage of Lyrica is 150 mg so seems like your initial dosing might've been a little low.
    I guess maybe they wanted to see what dose it would take to help me....will say 75mg x 2 a day did NOT!

Quote:
    I take the 150 mg & see the same results as with the 3k mg of gabapentine. I think we can go as high as 600 mg on the Lyrica. I think that tops the dosage for this med so even at 150 mg we have room to increase if needed.
    You take 150mg x2 a day now?

K is pretty sure that I used to be on 150mg x 2 years back when I took Lyrica(and she is great and knowing my medical info)...so HOPING it helps me...I'm trying to stay positive.

Quote:
    I hope the increase in dosage starts to help you. I think that it will.
    Thanks so much for the kind words....you know I appreciate it.

Quote:
    I'm sorry you've been in so much pain.
    me too...I can handle a lot but went beyond my limit.

Hoping my day is better....currently...not the best
    J

Old 07-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #33
    captinsane1
    (male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

Yes 600 mg per day is max. That is what my script is for but I reduced it my self to 400 per day and get the same results as 600. I take a 200mg pill twice a day and it does seem to help with the burning. I'm thinking about trying to switch out Lyrica for cymbalta as it would save me a lot of money but it has to work as well for me to do that.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #34
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by captinsane1 View Post
    Yes 600 mg per day is max. That is what my script is for but I reduced it my self to 400 per day and get the same results as 600. I take a 200mg pill twice a day and it does seem to help with the burning. I'm thinking about trying to switch out Lyrica for cymbalta as it would save me a lot of money but it has to work as well for me to do that.
    Good to know I can go up if needed.

I've taken 150mg so far...and results aren't that thrilling. I'll take my last 75mg in an hour or so and hoping over the next few days this starts to kick in and make me like the results as much as I used to.

can I ask...did it take a few days for you to get results or did it happen as soon as you started to take it?

Its been a bad few days..trying to stay positive.
    J

Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #35
    Ihate2w8
    (female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by captinsane1 View Post
    I'm on 150 mg total, 50 mg a.m. 50 mg afternoon & 50 mg p.m. I can tell when the next dose is due, too!

It has helped a lot, but I think I may need to tweek it a little. Encouraged that you say it helps the burning at a higher dosage.

I'm also on Cymbalta but I don't find that it helps me with the feet issue. That's just my experience with it though. Maybe you would have better luck.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #36
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

OK...last night was AWFUL! One of my worst ever!! In a LOT of pain...both legs/feet and hands...hands cramping...twitching in my thighs...swollen ankles...K wanted me to take a perc but I sucked it up and was able to fall asleep in my chair..and she got me to go to bed around 10:30p...didn't sleep well but was able to get a few hours in...so got up at 6a...took my 75mg of Lyrica and am at work...not feeling great but hoping the Lyrica works better today.

My question....for those that got put on Lyrica..did it work right away or take a few doses/days before you got the full effect? I go on 150mg x 2 tomorrow...wondering if that will work better..also wondering if my PN is different then when I was on Lyrica before and maybe it won't help me enough and I need to just stay on Neurontin....Do I ride this out and see or just realize its time to fold and just go back on Neurontin? It isn't like I want to give up but I know I'm going to be in Pain....I have PN..but dealing w/it that awful when I know I can take something to help might be stupid.

Just trying to figure out my plan.

Hope all are well.
    J

Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #37
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Well...took my 2nd and 3rd dose as scheduled....and not nearly as bad this afternoon as yesterday...so that alone is a good thing...hoping tonight isn't as bad either.
    J

Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #38
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Last night the pain was not as bad as Tuesday night...so that alone is good....was able to fall asleep in my recliner and headed to bed around 10:30p..slept ok(never sleep that well) and woke up around 5:50a...out of bed around 6:10a....took my full dose of 150mg of Lyrica and got to work @7a...

Hoping today is good and better then yesterday....

Do have an "issue"...I've been taking 3 doses of 1200mg of Neurontin for the past few years...and now they want me to take 2 doses of 150mg of Lyrica...do I take a 75mg @11a and 3p(that was my 2nd and 3rd dose) or take 150mg of Lyrica at say 1p?

Just hoping for a good day.
    J

Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #39
    captinsane1
    (male)

captinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB Usercaptinsane1 HB User

The best advice I have is that if you take one of these meds for a long time as you have its hard to switch, even from neurontin to lyrica or vice versa. I tried recently to go from lyrica back to neurontin for financial reasons but finally said to hell with it and stuck with lyrica and am currently stable so I guess be patient before you make a decision on which med you are going to go with. I will tell you something about improving your sleep pattern that might really help you out RP. I was having a terrible time getting to sleep and remaining there for any length of time and it showed big time. Doctor put me on 25 mg of Elavil twice a day and man what an improvement. I only take it once a day at about an hour before bed time and I sleep for a good 6-7 hours which is great. I don't take it during the day as it makes me drowsy. It has been the best addition of a medication I've had in quite awhile. Its amazing that such a small amount of this med works so well for me as it always seems I need a max dosage for any med I use. This was truly a godsend and I highly recommend you ask your doc if you're having any sleep issues and it sounds as if you clearly are. I also wake up with a fairly clear head from this med unlike your traditional sleeping pills like ambein. Good luck RP as it sounds like you could use some at least in the medication dept.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #40
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

It for sure has not been an easy road...on Monday I was ready to switch back to Neurontin...BUT since I remembered I had a good experience on the Lyrica and talking w/the doctor which she up'd my script I decided to try and give it a shot. Everything I've read Lyrica takes 2 or 3 weeks to get in your system... SO trying to be patient.

You are making a great point....over the past few years I can't remember getting many nights of good night sleep. I've avoided taking those types of pills and tried to just suck it up and run on 4 1/2 to 6 hours of sleep....but maybe taking a little something would be good for me...esp in the long run.

Thanks for the good luck...and yes, I could for sure use it.

Hope you are well and thanks for your reply.
    J

Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #41
    Ruby8
    (female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Hi J - Hope you try the Elavil (Amitriptyline) even though it is an antidepressant. Yep, I know you shy away from anything with the "antidepressant" label, but this med, as well as Cymbalta, are what I hear on this board as really helping neuropathic pain. Here is wishing you good sleep and less pain. - Ruby

Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #42
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Hey Ruby...remind me what Elavil is for?

Last night wasn't awful....for sure different then w/the Neurontin...today is day 2 of the 300mg day...

I talked w/K and I'm going to TRY and give this 2 more weeks..which is when I see the doctor...if I'm not better then...compared to when I'm on Neurontin I think I'll talk w/the doctor and go back on it(I've got 4 refill of it anyway)...to be honest if I'm not better I don't know what to do...is "dealing" w/this better then taking 3600mg of Neurontin a day???? Do I try a combo drug w/the Lyrica? I don't like taking anything...knowing I have to in order to live my life...but extra "stuff" to try out isn't something I want to deal with...

Guess it just comes down to PN sucks!

Not on a high point today....and knowing that sucks too.
    J

Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #43
    Ruby8
    (female)

Ruby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB UserRuby8 HB User

Good morning J - Elavil (generic Amitriptyline) is a one of the tricylic antidepressants used to treat neuropathic pain. Nortriptyline is another tricylic that I often read on this board as being successful. Then there is Cymbalta, an SSRI antidepressant, which is what I take very successfully. (Downside to Cymbalta is it is expensive.) You can google lots of information on the mechanism by which these antidepressants treat neuropathic pain. They are so commonly used to treat nerve pain, it is a shame people stay away from using them because they can't get over that they are labeled as an antidepressant. Less pain equates to more happiness for you and ultimately for Kath too. You'll want to use one of these antidepressants in conjunction with gabapentin or lyrica, whichever you choose. I'd probably wait to try the antidepressant until you have the gabapentin/lyrica decision worked out and in place. Then you will more accurately be able to tell the effect as well as any side effects that are attributable to the antidepressant. Good luck. - Ruby

Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #44
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

OK, thanks so much for the heads up...and I'm one of those people that backs away from taking any of those due to the antidepressant word used w/those drugs...on my FIRST visit to the first Neurologist I saw wanted my to take Cymbalta...I FREAKED out and told K I refused to take it.

BUT after reading a lot here I'm wondering if it is something I should explore....I did mention it to the Doc on Mon and she said it is something to look into but as you stated she wanted to get my pain under control w/the Lyrica issue...IF it would help me have better days and be able to get out and about w/Kath I will for damn sure give it a shot.

I appreciate your help w/this issue I'm taking on.
    J

Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #45
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

Had an uneventful weekend...still taking the 300mg of Lyrica a day...BUT I feel it still hasn't done as much as I remember it used to for me OR my PN is that much worse now...might sound dumb but it makes me VERY numb!! now good thing is the pain isn't there but the numb feeling really bothers me a LOT!!!

This is week 3....do I ride it out or just go back to my 3600mg of Neurontin? I have a script at my RX for both...so just need to give them the heads up....have probably 4 more days or so of Lyrica left.

Hope everyone is doing well this Monday.
    J

Closed Thread