It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• higher anxiety when starting a SSRI?side effect'??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
    dizzygal954
    (female)

dizzygal954 HB Userdizzygal954 HB User
    Unhappy higher anxiety when starting a SSRI?side effect'??

im one week into starting zoloft at 25mgs, and im supposed to up the dose to 50 mgs at the 2 week mark. first few days i was ok, but the past few days seems like my anxiety has been a little higher then normal, and i have had a headache everyday. im HOPING these are just side effects of the meds going into my body and my body getting used to them, i have read MANY MANY stories online about others who had the same thing when starting.

anyone have these side effects? did the zoloft eventually start to work and decrease your anxiety?casue i just called the psychiratrist and asked them about the higher anxiety, the nurse said that she never heard of that before and that if i still felt that way on thursday to call them back. that made me not happy. actually worries me a little. she said she was going to leave a note for the dr, so i guess he is supposed to call back, i dunno. how could have never heard of it? from whati have read online it seems pretty common, now it makes me feel like the meds arent going to work and/or they might change it.

please tell me its normal to feel this way for the first few weeks of taking the meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
    tygriff
    (male)

tygriff HB Usertygriff HB Usertygriff HB User
    Re: higher anxiety when starting a SSRI?side effect'??

When I started Paxil, I had similar sensations. With my anxiety, any changes in how I felt caused me to become more anxious. The dry mouth, headaches and slight dizziness caused me to become more anxious. So in reality the drug did not make me anxious, the side effects did.
    It honestly took about 8 weeks for me to fully feel the benefits of this med and now I feel absolutely great (been on Paxil for over 11 years).
    Sadly, for me the only way to overcome the anxiety was to push through the discomfort until my body realized there was no danger. This is a long and frightening process, but it did work for me. The medications helped me dull the anxious feelings to allow me to push through many anxious events.
    Give the medication time to work. If you look on the net, you will find that SSRI's typically take 6-8 weeks to settle in and you begin to feel the benefits. You will feel better!
    In the meantime, you may want to speak to your Dr. again about your current situation. He may prescribe another quick acting medication you can use over the next couple of weeks until the Zoloft kicks in.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
    dizzygal954
    (female)

i also have the xanax for when it gets bad.
    \
    yea im thinking it is a side effect, atleast thats what i read online.

i called the dr and he said it was normal

Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
    dizzygal954
    (female)

today is day 8 and its been pretty rough man..... the extra anxiety is the worst!!

and im supposed to do this for 4-6 weeks till it kicks in?......now i know why people stop taking them

Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
    tygriff
    (male)

Hold on!! You should feel some benefit within another week or so. Full effects of the SSRI will be felt in 6-8 weeks.
    For me, my anxiety was felt as a 'rush' through my body. Similar to when you go down a big hill on a roller coaster. As soon as I felt this rush, my mind would kick in saying "here comes another anxiety attack". This thought pattern got me even more anxious as I waited to see if anything worse was coming!!!
    After about 2 weeks, I noticed the Paxil was dulling the rush. It is hard to explain. But I could feel the rush, it was just much less intense. Thus my brain did not react to it the same and it kept my anxiety lower. Over time, these 'rushes' became less and less frequent (started out daily and slowly reduced to maybe a couple of times per year). When they do happen, I get a little anxious for the day, but then I feel fine after. Still on the Paxil 11 years in!!!!

Just to be clear, I had very bad anxiety. I could not drive on my own for 6 months. I could barely leave my house except for going to work. I had weird death thoughts, not about suicide but just dying that kind of freaked me out. Crying in front of my wife and kids because I knew I wasn't feeling right and my kids were noticing it ("what's wrong daddy, why are you different now?). It got me really depressed. It was really bad. Now I am feeling really good, if not great and I can thank my SSRI for this.

8 days is a pretty short time. Just remember that the anxiety can't hurt you. Try to accept it and look ahead to when you will be feeling better. The time for feeling better is coming (definitely by the time school starts). There is hope!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
    dizzygal954
    (female)

thank you its just hard. i am going to atleast give it a month to see how i feel. im just scared about the whole cat and mouse game you have to play with these meds to find the right one for you.

im hoping this is the one for me!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
    dizzygal954
    (female)

what do you do when you come off these meds?....doesnt the anxiety come back ??......people say you dont have to take them for life but if you have anxiety, and you had to get on meds to help it why do people try and come off of it?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
    tygriff
    (male)

Dizzygal,

Just a side note, I am actually on vacation in Pompano Beach this week. My family has been vacationing down here for over 30 years. I am down with my wife and kids for the week. Maybe going on the infamous 'Jungle Queen' later this week!

As for your question regarding meds for life, this is a very difficult question to answer and really depends on the person and circumstances. For me, I am on the fence. But if I do need to be on them for life, so be it.

I suggest you head to the library or a book store and take a look at the Anxiety and Phobia handbook by Edmund Bourne. This book is one of the best I have read (and I have read many on anxiety). The book will explain the feelings you are having and how they cannot harm you. It will also explain techniques to help you conquer your anxiety. For me, this is where the meds came in. They dulled the anxiety to allow me to test my limits.

Interestingly enough, I just went through my latest anxiety bout the last 5 days. Just came out of the blue. Heavy rushes, tightness in my chest and overal just high anxiety. My wife noticed it, but I just told her "yeah, its my anxiety acting up". Really, I just accept it now as it comes and goes a couple of times per year. But now it has gone away. I think it was the anxiety of getting ready for the trip and making sure everything was covered at work before I left.

Take a look at this book and rest assured that you are definitely not alone in your battle with anxiety. It is an EXTREMELY common disorder that effects millions. Thus there is alot of information out there to help you through the hard times.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
    dizzygal954
    (female)

wow your right down the street for me....hope your having a great time!. just had a tornado touch down right next to my house.!!

i will look for that book, i was at the library today looking as a matter of fact.

tomorrow im supposed to up my dose to 50 mgs, that kinda makes me worried that it will make the side effects worse, but today hasnt been to bad

Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
    dizzygal954
    (female)

started 50 mgs today,,,,,anyone have any luck with zoloft for anxiety?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
    Foxxii
    (female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

I had a ton of luck with Zoloft for GAD and Panic Disorder. As a matter of fact I just started taking it again 5 days ago. Working my way up to 50 mg. Although my anxiety is off the hook right now, I know it's just a start up s/e that will go away in a few weeks. Can't wait to be anxiety and panic free again! Good luck to you!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
    dizzygal954
    (female)

thank you...today is day 23 and the past week has been great,.....keeping fimgers crossed!

good luck to you too

Closed Thread