It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• If you have Brain lesions as opposed to Spinal Lesions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
    peaceheart
    (female)

peaceheart HB User
    If you have Brain lesions as opposed to Spinal Lesions?

I am at the very beginning of this journey of being diagnosed with MS. I have lesions on my brain with a negative LP result.

Are the MS symptoms different depending where the lesions are? Brain versus Spinal cord and what would the symptoms be for the Brain lesions.
    Thank you ever so much.

L.

The following user gives a hug of support to peaceheart:
    iluv (09-06-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: If you have Brain lesions as opposed to Spinal Lesions?

Welcome.

A negative LP for MSers occurs among 15% of MSers who have had LPs. I have never had a positive LP on either of my LPs which were 20 years apart.

Each of us has thousands of miles of nerves within us. For the most part we are wired similarly, but not necessarily the same copies. It is quite difficult to say that a given lesion can be attributed to a certain symptom. However, if a neuro follows your own specific case, there is a possibility to guess, but it is still improbable.

Welcome to the journey. You are not alone and you are among many friends.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    iluv (09-06-2011)
    Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
    peaceheart
    (female)

peaceheart HB User

Thank you ever so much for your reply.
    I guess that I was just trying to see if I could figure out what my future was going to look like.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

My neuro told me that after 3 years I would see the same symptoms revisiting in cycles. Now, this 3 year period is adjusted as the disease progresses. All of the symptoms I had between 2002-2005 (my MS suddenly worsened and disabled me in 2002) have, except for the MS seizures, repeated. The repetition is not orderly and has been random.

The symptoms which you can expect could be few or many. It is too difficult to know for sure.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Peaceheart,
    Like you, I only have brain lesions. I also have a negative LP. However, I have over 50 brain lesions, allot more than the average person....

My symptoms are all neuropathic in nature. I have no feeling in my hands/ fingers on my left hand (and a great big huge lesion which is specific to that area on the right side of my brain, keeping in mind that the brain is a mirror, what shows up on the right side effects the left side of the body). I have had ON, because lesions in the brain can often affect the eyes. I have NO gait problems (those are normally from spinal lesions) however I do have extreme heat sensitivity and due to that, when im overly heated, I do tend to trip and lose my balance...

As for what Jayhawk stated about 3 year cycles. No one has ever told me that and I can honestly say as Im going on my 6th year of diagnosis, that nothing has ever repeated itself in cycles, beyond that fact that I have had ON 3 times, however that was all in the first 2 years, its never come back. Also my onset symtom of the numb hands and fingers, has never gone away- so its not coming and going, its permanent nerve damage.
    It may be true that things cycle, but in my case, Ive not experienced it.

I hope this helps. ..
    Nikki

Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
    peaceheart
    (female)

peaceheart HB User

Thank you all for your replies and input. I was wondering what ON means?
    Thank you.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ON= Optic Neuritis

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    peaceheart (09-06-2011)
    Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
    iluv
    (female)

iluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB Useriluv HB User

First Sorry, I too am newly diagagnosed. My LP was sorta positive then came the lovely open head surgery of the lesion to confirm. As to your question the answer is yes. Each part of your brain controls different functions.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluvasphaltobam View Post
    First Sorry, I too am newly diagagnosed. My LP was sorta positive then came the lovely open head surgery of the lesion to confirm. As to your question the answer is yes. Each part of your brain controls different functions.
    Welcome!

A surgical biopsy to confirm MS? That must have been a high hurdle to clear. I do not think it is common (I might be wrong ). Could you share a little about your surgery (only if you feel comfortable).

I hope you are in good shape and will find yourself at home here!

Closed Thread