It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Small Fiber Neuropathy and Lost

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #31
    john100
    (male)

john100 HB User
    Re: Small Fiber Neuropathy and Lost

AbI too suffer from SFN in my feet. I was initially recommended amitriptaline which I strongly refused due to all the horror stories I have heard from people I know who had been onstill on them . Gabapentin was offered as an alternative & and after researching them on internet I decided to take them. Gabstention works for me but the dosage needed to be increased gradually over two weeks from 3 x 100 mg / day to 3 x 300mg / day .this seemed ok for a few months but my SFN sgarter to get steadily worse , so my dosage to what I am on now which is 3x300mg capsules 3x a day.ie from basically 300mg/day to 2700mg/day. This dosage is at present ok but ive only been on this since July 2011-present. I have read that the maximum dosage allowed in UK is 3600mg/day. Recently ive noticed that I have hada few violent episodes and it is being related to the gabapentin . What I am wondering is if anyone else has noticed this and if any one can recommend an alternative drug which I can mention to my doctor . Thank you jx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #32
    chandleraz
    (male)

chandleraz HB User

I had also tried Gabapentin and i did not do so well on it alot of side effects.I was on Trileptal went off it to go on a natural but i believe it is not doing all it can any more and this morning i went back to my neuromusclar doctor and told her it is not doing as well as it use to at first she wanted to put me on Gabapentin and i asked for the Trileptal and she had no problem with going back thought it was in the same league or better.

Last edited by mod85; 10-10-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #33
    RisingParrot
    Veteran
    (male)

RisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB UserRisingParrot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnpeel100 View Post
    AbI too suffer from SFN in my feet. I was initially recommended amitriptaline which I strongly refused due to all the horror stories I have heard from people I know who had been onstill on them . Gabapentin was offered as an alternative & and after researching them on internet I decided to take them. Gabstention works for me but the dosage needed to be increased gradually over two weeks from 3 x 100 mg / day to 3 x 300mg / day .this seemed ok for a few months but my SFN sgarter to get steadily worse , so my dosage to what I am on now which is 3x300mg capsules 3x a day.ie from basically 300mg/day to 2700mg/day. This dosage is at present ok but ive only been on this since July 2011-present. I have read that the maximum dosage allowed in UK is 3600mg/day. Recently ive noticed that I have hada few violent episodes and it is being related to the gabapentin . What I am wondering is if anyone else has noticed this and if any one can recommend an alternative drug which I can mention to my doctor . Thank you jx
    I've had PN since around 07...I was on Lyricia but for Insurance reasons had to switch to Neurontin and have been on it for about 2+yrs...a few months ago my Insurance switched and was allowed back on Lyricia so weened off Neurontin and went full time on Lyricia...and it was awful!!! Not only was I in pain(normal but still) BUT I was also a LOT more numb then normal..enough where it was bothering me like the pain. So I went back on Neurontin after weening off the Lyricia(I was getting tired of the ween period) and currently I take 1200mg x 3 a day and as you said 3600mg is the max dose here too.
    It works the best for me...don't get me wrong I'm in pain the second I wake up till I thankfully fall asleep...but it helps me live and thankfully work and I've not had side effects like some....that said I now have RLS but that is another story.

I hope you have a pain free Wednesday.
    J

Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #34
    Oliejune
    (female)

Oliejune HB User

Hi Tinabb, I also have SFN . I am currently taking Sevella, and Lyrica, and a small dose of Prednisone. With these medications, my SFN is managed pretty well.I still feel the tingling , but it is so much improved.My doctor wants to ween me off of Prednisone, but each time I lower the dosage, I feel worse.I am currently taking 5mg. My problem is a terrible pain when my skin is pressed slightly. I can't wear panty hose, or anything that causes pressure on my skin. The medications aren't a cure all, but I thank god for them anyway. I hope this is helpful information. Maybe you could try this combination of drugs.Hang in there, Oliejune

Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #35
    chandleraz
    (male)

chandleraz HB User

Oliejune,
    Just wondering if you have been tested for fibromialga you are on a couple of meds. that is for fibro the Sevella and Lyrica.I know they can be used for both i have tried both before but when you say it hurts to have pain when your skin is touched.

Last edited by mod85; 10-10-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Closed Thread