It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Levoscoliosis found on MRI AFTER my lumbar fusion? heres my MRI Help plz

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
    Heartbrokenn
    (female)

Heartbrokenn HB User
    Levoscoliosis found on MRI AFTER my lumbar fusion? heres my MRI Help plz

Hi, I am having alot of difficulty understanding my MRI results, atop that- one part of it is incorrect....

My main concern, now that I have additional and new back pain when trying to get up from sitting, or if I am standing too long I have nerve pain in my leg to my foot again WHILE I am on high doses of gabapentin.

Can you 'get' levoscoliosis secondarily to an injury that was treated with a lumbar spinal fusion??

Here is my MRI-without contrast

Lumbar spine MRI done as an emergency.

History of laminectomy and spinal fusion at L4-5

There is a mild levoscoliosis (NEW never mentioned prior on any MRIS and I have had ALOTT of MRIS)
    Vertebral heights are presered. There is no evidence of a fracture or subluxtion. There is no evidence of bone marrow replacement. Conus medullaris lies at the T12-L1 level.

L3-4 minimal disc bulging is seen without evidence of disc herniation (this is the disc that had a microdiscectomy prior to my fusion of the level below) There is no evidence of canal or foraminal narrowing.

L4-5 and L5-S1 Patient is status post laminectomy and posterior fusion. There is no evidence of disc bulging or disc herniation. There is no evidence of canal or foraminal narrowing at these disc levels.

L1-2 and L2-3 Disc interspace signal is preserved. There is no evidence of disc ehrniation There is no evidence of canal or foraminal narrowing at these disc levels.

Impression:
    Status post laminectomy infusion at the L4-5 and L5-S1 disc interspaces
    ***I HAVE ONE I repeat ONE FUSION- AT L4-5..... SO ????

minimal disc bulging is seen at L3-4 without evidence of herniation
    There is no evidence of canal or foraminal narrowing.

Thanks for any help. I have never been diagnosed on a MRI for levoscoliosis, AND this is a different place than where all my other mris were done, I also have a disc bulge at L5-S1 a few months ago.... I will try and make an ortho appt to get to the bottom of this with a TRUE comparison to all my other mris but would like some clarification regarding the 'dual fusion' that I DONT have lol and also this levoscoliosis. My right leg is my bad leg, I limp often, and try not to use it due to pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Levoscoliosis found on MRI AFTER my lumbar fusion? heres my MRI Help plz

First of all, I advise that you call the place where you had the MRI and ask that the radiology report be corrected. Ask them about the L5 comment, and if it is incorrect, make sure it is corrected in your record. Also, be sure to get a copy of the corrected report for your own personal records. (I learned this the hard way and it almost cost me my last surgery when the insurance carrier refused to cover it, indicating it was medically unnecessary.)

Re: levoscoliosis: it is not all that uncommon to end up with a bit of scoliosis after lumbar fusion, depending on what and how it was done. The back is altered forever when a fusion is performed. The surgeon is removing bone from the spine. This results in muscle and soft tissue repositioning too in response to the structural change.

Lumbar levoscoliosis can come on during adulthood even without surgery. It can be a cause of back and nerve pain...so you want to ask your surgeon about this when you have your next appointment.

Last edited by teteri66; 11-16-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
    Heartbrokenn
    (female)

Heartbrokenn HB User

wow ty so much. I just called them to get it corrected or re-read- and they let me know my DR needs to request that- I said well- I think I seem to know how much metal is in my body!! But alas- no dice and I have a call into my dr now. RIDICULOUS.

TY so much for the info on the levoscoliosis I've had trouble trying to find info regarding it overall.

Wish me luck- I surely dont want a 2 level fusion in my body, let alone my records TYTY

Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
    Heartbrokenn
    (female)

Heartbrokenn HB User

So, after speaking with my drs office, they stated they are not the ones that need to request a re-read or changes to the final report, and that I should be able to request it- or my attorney.

I called the hospital back,and they said no, I am not permitted to request any such thing. I then let them know the name of my attorney, so that when they call they will know what its regarding, they then insisted they dont deal with attorneys, medical records does that. I said well fine, then transfer me.... Then their tune changed. They repeated- well what is the problem with your results- I said- I DONT HAVE A TWO LEVEL SPINAL FUSION in my back that's what! I have ONE, with the screws and rods easily seen, among other discrepensies (not as huge but incorrect) regarding surgical manipualtions of my disc levels. (laminectomy was on wrong disc level-etc).

They said fine, can I drop off my last back mri for comparison- which I don'thave. THEN they wanted at least the last report, they tried requesting from another hospital- which would not send without my written consent.

It was a phone tag for two hours- them insisting to see copies of my prior reports (not films) for correlation. They asked me AGAIN what discs I had what done to surgically....them stating I have a 2 level fusion- ME saying- welp- then the 2nd one fused itself in the past 4-6 months since my last MRI...

Finally, I did get a release FAXED to the OLD hospital, authorizing the last 2 MRI reports sent to them. They seemed relieved that they were finally recieving- I am rather curious now, if the MRI results are even MINE. I will find out the true findings - or re-wordings- soon I suppose. AND OF COURSE my attorney never returned my call today- to even assist me in deciding IF I should have sent them the reports from the other hospital. There is no reason they would need those- just read the #($*%( MRI as it is- PROPERLY or- find MY BACK SCAN that has a one level fusion. I am beginning to think with all of their strange questions and not understanding I know FOR A FACT what surgeries I had to my own spine........that either not a radiologist did my report OR that its not even mine.

BUT I do thank you again for telling me to call n have it fixed!! What do you make of all that???? Insane isn't it???

Last edited by Heartbrokenn; 11-16-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I never got my incorrect report fixed either. I had it done at an independent scanning center in another city. It became easier to just have it removed from my electronic records with my current doctors.

Were the MRIs from the other hospital done before your surgeries? Why don't you post a brief description of when you had each surgery and what was done -- then I and others reading your thread will know a bit of your background....

I just wanted to mention that none of my MRI reports mention scoliosis, but I went in for my check-up with my ob/gyn last week, and while examining me, he ran his hand down my spine and in passing said something about scoliosis. I will ask my spine surgeon about it next time I see him...which won't be for awhile. Whatever it is, it is a result of the surgeries I've had.

I will answer your question about what do I make of your situation after I have a little more information. Why are you consulting an attorney?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
    Heartbrokenn
    (female)

Heartbrokenn HB User

Yes the other MRIs were at a different hospital. This hospital, finally got the other hospitals reports, and ammended my report - low and behold- a new posterior bulge appeared at L5-S1 that wasn't there prior... NOR another bulge at L3-4.... above, and below, my fusion.

I had a severe back injury and needed an attorney, so once they heard 'attorney' all of a sudden things changed. I wasn't even being mean about it-but they were like -well, we dont do that nor deal with attorneys- like a threat- so I said welp then send me to who IS going to deal with my attorney to get this fixed, because I do NOT have a 2 level fusion, and due to the prior injury, the insurance company will in the future deny treatment on that level if it says I have 2 fusions, instead of one.

Ridiculous. So now I have this levoscoliosis, and bulges above and below my fusion. I will need to get the films and go to an ortho to look at them, considering all of this rigamaro above.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by Heartbrokenn; 11-18-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You will want to get it checked out. I'm glad you were able to get the record corrected.

I was told my "faulty" report had been pulled from my file, only to later learn it was inadvertently included with my other MRI report when they were trying to get pre-approval for my 3 level fusion from the insurance carrier....who denied coverage when they saw the faulty report! It took me 3 months to get it all straightened out, had to file a formal appeal, etc. Very time-consuming for me, to say nothing of the elevated level of stress, wondering what I would do if I couldn't have the surgery. It all eventually worked out, but it was a very unpleasant experience!

Closed Thread