It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Is It Acid Reflux or LPR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
    dsfree
    (female)

dsfree HB User
    Unhappy Is It Acid Reflux or LPR

Please Help, for the past year I've had hoarseness and a thick, cottage cheese-like, thick, clinging mucus in the top of my throat. I've been to several doctors, ENT, Gastroenterologist, etc. I've been told it was acid reflux. I'm taking 40mg of Prilosec a day. It went away for a few months but now it is back with a vengeance. It is so hard for me to get any of it up. When I finally do get a little bit up it is so thick I have to pull it out. I have a terrible taste always and never get it all up. I had an endoscope done in March and the pictures showed the stuff just clinging to my vocal cords and esophagus.

I am at a loss as to what to do and it seems the doctors are as well. I wake up every morning and think I'm going to choke to death until I can get a little up or down to swallow. Any advice anyone has would be much appreciate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Is It Acid Reflux or LPR

I get this quite often particularly after a cold. As I also get AR and have been on Nexium I know how you feel.
    However I think a lot of it is Mucus/Catarrh caused by Post Nasal Drip and for me I have found SUDAFED to be very helpful for loosening this thick Mucus. You can buy it in tab form or a flavoured liquid form which is how I take it.
    Hope this helps and good luck,

Solofelix.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
    Jennuine84
    (female)

Jennuine84 HB UserJennuine84 HB User

hi dsfree. I also have this same mucus problem except I have acid reflux which I knew I had and as confirmed by a GI with endoscopy. and I was also seen by a ENT and they scoped me and said my throat looked fine. didnt even say anything or suspect that I had LPR. But yet I get mucus in my throat (along with the dreaded lump) and it drives me nuts. My mucus is not as bad as yours, however, I do always feel it and find myself wanting to hack it up so I dont have to swallow it. I find with the mucus and lump problem it doesnt feel right to swallow the mucus or even my own saliva at times. it just feels awkward going down.

so your question of whether its LPR or acid reflux. as it stands its probably acid reflux as you were told that already. I was never told I had LPR but yet I have these LPR symptoms as you are also having. I dont even understand how you can have "LPR" without having acid reflux. The acid reflux comes from your stomach and refluxes up your esophagus and into your throat if bad enough. In my opinion there is only reflux. Maybe you can have both? But I don't think you can just have LPR without having reflux. I heard from someone that their GI doc said that ENT docs are quick to overdiagnose "LPR" and a lot of GI docs don't even acknowledge LPR.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jennuine84:
    dsfree (11-29-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Jennuine84 For This Useful Post:
    dsfree (11-29-2011)
    Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
    Seeking Sunrise
    (male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Jennuine84 (and everyone)

Did your throat symptoms begin after or during a cold or flu virus, and then just continue after the cold or flu went away?

Also, did you have heartburn first for a long time, and then later the throat symptoms started to accompany heartburn, gastro related symptoms?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I never get Heartburn with my Acid Reflux but I do get P.N.D and the lump in the throat.
    I seem to have an awful lot of mucus from P.N.D and forever clearing my throat.
    I have a Hiatal-Hernia and this this causes its own problems.
    Personally I think Mucus is caused by Weather conditions and Diet, perhaps A.R can cause some of it.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
    dsfree (11-29-2011)
    Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
    Jennuine84
    (female)

Jennuine84 HB UserJennuine84 HB User

Hi seeking sunrise, I never had a cold. I didn't develop the dreaded mucus and lump in my throat until a few weeks after my bad flare up of reflux. before that I never had any issues with PND/mucus or lump in my throat.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
    dsfree
    (female)

dsfree HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
    I get this quite often particularly after a cold. As I also get AR and have been on Nexium I know how you feel.
    However I think a lot of it is Mucus/Catarrh caused by Post Nasal Drip and for me I have found SUDAFED to be very helpful for loosening this thick Mucus. You can buy it in tab form or a flavoured liquid form which is how I take it.
    Hope this helps and good luck,

Solofelix.
    I take Sudafed regularly but it never helps with the thick mucus in my throat.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I read somewhere that eating too many dairy products can contribute
    to Mucus in the throat.
    I must say that this could apply to me as I do take milk everyday on my porridge and eat natural yogurt everyday.
    Does anyone else think that diet can be a contributing factor.

Solofelix.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
    Seeking Sunrise
    (male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

If you want my 2 cents, it's this:

Probably a very small percentage of the people who have throat symptoms but no regular heartburn have a reflux issue.

A tiny percentage does, confusing the matter.

The vast vast majority of us would be better off pursuing other avenues rather than reflux as the cause. Also, people should stop taking ppis if they don't work almost immediately. What kind of a medication takes 6 months to 2 years to work because "they need 24 hour coverage for the injuries to heal."

Man does that sound misguided to me. In short, I can't say all of you have nerve damage. Some of you might have some other cause, diet causing mucus build up in the throat, a tiny growth near the larynx, an undiagnosed uncommon alergy, etc.

But for only a tiny percentage of "LPR" patients will ppis and acid reflux treatment work, because for only a tiny percentage is that actually the problem.

If you imagine that to be true, then it follows that the acid reflux (LPR) healthboard's LPR/throat problem posts should look EXACTLY like they look on this healthboard!

Closed Thread