It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• percocet withdrawal and personality

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
    mallee
    (female)

mallee HB User
    percocet withdrawal and personality

I have been taking percocets for 4 years. lately for about 6 months I have taken 5 15mg a day. I am on day 2 without them and I know about the withdrawal symtoms but my question I really want answered is when will my old personality come back..weeks? months? I have 3 kids and I used to love to play with them before the pecr and even while on them. I want my old personality back so badly for my kids sake. can someone please help me with an answer???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User
    Re: percocet withdrawal and personality

hi there, goin through the same thing, same med as u about the same amt of time and also wondering when ill be the person i USED to be, the real me. i sure as heck dont have the answer, we'll just have to figure that out. what im really curious about is will i be stronger, more grateful for each day that comes, waking up each day with even more appriciation for life. id like to think that something postive will emurge from this losing battle we've been fighting for so long.

ice

Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
    mallee
    (female)

mallee HB User

Im on day 2 and the withdrawals are bad but I was expecting that. I just want to know about the personality part of it. That is what makes me want another. I was always happy when on them but I was happy before them as well. I just want to be the person I was 5 years ago.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User

dont have the answer but i feel ya, its something im looking forward finding out. cuz i know one thing, each day that im free and i laugh, or smile. it will be my own endorphins causing it. its far better than this numbed up fog, i can barely remember that person i used to be. he'll be back.

ice

Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
    second go
    Veteran
    (male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User

I was worried about this too when I was using, as I began loathing everything. I felt like I was watching life through a tv screen, and felt disconnected from everything/ felt numb. hated going out and seeing people; felt like everyone was a stranger and I had no interest in my friends' lives.

I gained all of my personality back after quitting though. took some time but yes it all comes back, just need to get the meds out of your system and return to healthy routine/lifestyle. As a matter of fact, I became more enthusiastic about life, and I like learning new things more than I ever have in my past (im 38 now). stay focused and youll be where you want to be.

as far as time, youre looking at a week to ten days to get opiates out of your system, then its uphill from there to get your mind straight... go to meetings if you can, theyre really helpful. I went to meetings for a month after getting my system clean, and I was just about back to normal (they say it usually can take 3 months to be mentally healthy, but I find its varied from person to person... can take less or more)

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

I had the same questions when I was coming off opiates and benzos.. when will the old 'me' ever return? Will it ever return? Will I ever enjoy anything again? When? When? It burned in me to know when. :-)

I tapered rather than cold turkey so my story may differ somewhat from yours. I was also in a deep clinical depression beforee I started so I am sure that caused some delays also. However, I could see changes in myself for the better about 3 months into the taper. Once I totally finished the tapers, I was laughing heart and truly enjoying life again within a couple of months. A total restoration of me happened in about a year, but again, I was tapering for about 10 months of that year.

From what I have seen in others who have gone cold turkey, it usually takes 2-3 months to really find those lost traits. I know that may sound like forever, but we must let our bodies and brains heal and recover after long term use of the pills. Watch the baby steps as they occur. Perhaps something will strike you funny and you laugh, realizing it has been forever since you laughed. I noticed my rhythm again after having not had it for years. It struck me the first time I offered something in a conversation without specifically being asked something. Watch for signs like this and recognize them as you returning to Life again.

I wish you well as you begin your restoration. Stay strong and watch as you see the signs of happiness again.

Hugs
    reach

Old 12-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
    miss345
    Inactive
    (female)

miss345 HB User

I, too, have gone through the pains of withdrawal on these medications...Funny as it seems, how they give you a drug that will drug your mind to help you find peace...That can be good for a while, but when you find yourself driving a car 65 mph. in a 45 mile zone you know that something is wrong...This alone became my catalyst in getting off of this "everything's rosy" pill...I immediately went down a dose each week...It was hard, but you learn that you can't run away from yourself...You must accept the things that you cannot change and grow from them...I did...Probably took me about 6 months to be myself plus some new person within me that I was yet to meet...From that experience I will never and I mean never, take anything stronger than a simple over the counter pain pill like Tylenol...I like it here...Take care...

Old 12-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
    eeb
    (male)

eeb HB User

Detox will take up to 2 weeks and varies from person to person. Your personality will return. Your body and brain have become acustom to taking opiates which has changed your brain chemistry and synaptic structure. Removing the opiates you have the withdrawls which could get worse then it will stop. Once over WD your brain chemistry will start to change and continue to change until it is back to "normal". Unfortunatley this could take a very long time due to the length of time that you have used the oxycodone. Look into suboxone or subutex (if back on the market). This will help with the WD and personality change you are experiencing. I was in your position so many times until I recieved this type of treatment. It made my recovery much easier. Now 3 years off the pills and feel as normal as I could feel. I forgot what normal felt like initially but it will all come back.

Good luck to you

Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
    scarlett1971
    (female)

scarlett1971 HB User

I am on day 9 of longterm use and I feel a lot better about myself and not as tired/anxious/depressed as I have been the last 4 days. I am still not a 100% but at lease I don't feel as though its never going to end anymore. Please hang in there....I also forced myself to get up and do things and I think that helped my body to produce the endorphins to make me feel better...I remember just waking up yesterday and being really hungry and eating a lot of meat and rice and beans (hispanic family, lol) and today I just woke up feeling all better. I have been taking vitamins, potassium, B-Super Complex,I also drank lots of juice and milk. I am sure it helped but nothing heals the body like time. I wish I could say there is a quick fix, there is not. BUT it does get better!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
    mallee
    (female)

mallee HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I'm on day 14 and today I am feeling better. I didn't want to be on suboxone so I only took it every other day and in very small doses. 2mg down to .5 in 10 days. I haven't had sub in 4 days so i'm crossing my fingers. I take so many different vitamins everyday and I think that helps. I did a lot of research on what vitamins to take for withdrawal. exercise helps me feel better too, even though it killed me, i did a very small amount. The lack of energy is the worse for me. today was the first day i had a very small amount so i'm hoping it will get better day by day. I have kids so I need my energy!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

good job, keep goin. im on 21 days. never thought id see the day. it gets a lil better each day. for me the sleeps been tuff sleding. you dont realize how important it is until u dont get enough. monday nite i got about 3 hours. had to work the next day and was really feelin it, aches, and about to fall asleep in the afternoon. but i made it. got blocks of sleep last nite, 5 hours, up for 2 then back to bed for about 2.5. feel groggy but i'll make it, thank goodness for black tea! i drink a pitcher every mornin, thats my coffee. on the days i do get decent rest i feel great. so what i was experiencing was the effects of sleep deprivation not so much the withdrawal although i do think iam in paws or will get it , this is all new for me, never made it this far before. keep goin. good luck.

ice

Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
    mallee
    (female)

mallee HB User

Good job Ice, and everyone else counting down the days to feel normal again. It's tough but everyday I wake up knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel. I struggle with not sleeping as well so that does make it a bit harder. I've always had trouble with sleep though. I pray every night just for one good night of sleep . One day at a time!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #13
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

it gets better bud, keep goin. i just had my first "2 nites in a row" of normal sleep. my appetite is off the charts, but ive also been weight lifting. its kinda of a pain in the butt when your a single guy who cant cook lol. do you take benadryl? that might be able to help ya out.

good luck
    ice

Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
    YisThrAddiction
    (male)

YisThrAddiction HB User

I was dependent on Opiates for almost two years, and then I was put on 3 8mg/suboxone a day for about 10 months, and then dropped to 2 8mg/day until I said enough is enough and couldn't take it anymore.
    I would like to warn people about suboxone and long term use of this medication. I went through withdrawals and they were almost worse than regular opiate withdrawals. I felt the worst all around muscle pain I've ever had in my life during this time. Everything was amplified....sounds, lights, anxiety, depression, etc.. I got through it by checking myself into a detox center and found a "higher power" that I reached out to when I simply thought I could not handle it anymore and became hopeless. It helped for me but it's not for everyone.
    What I can say is that it does get a little better each day but it's on and off.
    I found that when my pain receptors were getting back to normal, my pain and lethargy would be a tad better one day, and because it was better I was doing more active things only to feel worse the next day.....like taking one step forward and two steps back...but then the next day kept getting better. I went through this cycle for about a month and a half. Positive self-talk is a good motivator if you can get to that point, sometimes I didn't have it in me to wanna look at myself or was so hopeless/depressed that thinking positively was near impossible. It could always be worse...remember that, and keep on keepin on one day at a time. GOODLUCK!!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
    zoiegrace
    Inactive
    (female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

hi there, congrats on getting off the oxy's, thats a major step so be proud of youself. My only suggestion to add to all the good advice you've gotten is to do a fast taper with the suboxone. Thank goodness your on a low dose, don't stay on it too long or you will become addicted and then have to detox of that too. everyone is different, and some need to stay on it, but it's seems you have a good program started and are doing so well.
    Best of luck and take care
    Gracie

Closed Thread