It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Cannot read after Lasik..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
    Educare21
    (male)

Educare21 HB User
    Question Cannot read after Lasik..

I have had my Lasik operation, Aspheric, done some weeks ago (23 days ago to be exact).

I have been following my doctor's advice diligently, taking the prescribed eye drops at the said intervals.

I am able to read the print on paper fairly well but the Computer screen text still appears very blurred until I go very close to it. I am beginning to get worried.

The Lasik bruise hasn't disappeared yet. While my right eye lasik bruise seems to be diminishing in the right eye, it is still very prominent in my left eye. It increased in prominence over the days. I've read it should disappear within 2 weeks but it's been 23 days!!

Besides that, whenever I get up in the morning, my eyes feel very dry. I have been using an eye gel lately, just before going to sleep, on my doctor's advice but my eyes still feel very dry in the morning. Should I get up in the night at regular intervals to put eye drops and moisten my eyes?

It is said one can sit on the computer after 24 hours of lasik. I personally took all precautions and did not watch T.V or use a computer for 4 days after my operation. However, I've been sitting on the computer for long durations since then. Do you think it's dangerous to do so? Given the above details, is there anything you suspect maybe of serious concern? If not, how long should I wait before getting a crystal clear vision?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
    Yellow Lillies
    (female)

Yellow Lillies HB User
    Re: Cannot read after Lasik..

Lasik is generally for distance and not reading. Is distance a problem for you, or is it just close up. It may be jsut that you simply need reading glasses? What did the opthmologist say at your post op appointments?

Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
    MarioX2
    Inactive
    (male)

MarioX2 HB User

Ha? What you talkin bout, why would lasik be just for distance, it corrects myopia and hyperopia. I can read after lasik fine, papers and distance, my problem is low light vision, contrast sensitivity. I can read fine on pc monitor with white and bright backgrounds, as that seems to keep my pupils shrinkier cause monitor lets more light out. But when I try to read text on black background or darker background it's hard for me, ghosting, blurring, feeling like my eyes need to focus, like they go cross, whatever.

Maybe he is experiencing same contrast sensitivity problems, but it wouldn have sense that lasik gave you distance vision and you don't see anything close up, it's not like that, it's liek burned prescription into your eyes, so if you could read with glasses or contacts at close why wouldn't you after lasik? Unless there are issues and aberrations.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
    Yellow Lillies
    (female)

Yellow Lillies HB User
    Post Re: Cannot read after Lasik..

mprove in life quality after LASIK is extraordinary, according to our patients.
    When you are in the age range where bifocals or "readers" are normally required for close vision ( usually 40-45 and beyond) you will most likely need reading glasses.

The pt didn't state their age, so it IS a possibility.

I myself, have had the same sx and am 40 and do not require reading glasses at this time

Was anything mentioned at the post op visits?

Old 12-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
    MarioX2
    Inactive
    (male)

MarioX2 HB User

Yes, I know that patients Presbyopia after age of 40 will need reading glasses after Lasik. But there is even correction of that with INTRACOR procedure, until your eye pops out of all the procedures

My life now ain't improved after lasik, depends on what you define improving, sure by day and sunlight I see clearly and sharp, but by night or low light day or indoors I see blurries, harder, with ghosting on some objects, and I had no problem with these issues with glasses. So I currently am like a bug wanting to go to light just to keep my pupils shrink so I can achieve clear and comfort vision. If this stays this way, and cannot be fix, I'll probably freak out even more, or just adapt, but become one of those really unsatisfied lasik patients, and anti-lasik industry. I mean it's subjective, I cannot imagine if someone has low light issues after lasik and says their lie quality is improved? Are these people crazy or just low IQ? Unless you spend 12 hours out in the field as a farmer or whatever in the middle of daylight, i guess it's improved then.

Closed Thread