It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lupus Message Board

• ana test result

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
    dove062476
    (female)

dove062476 HB User
    ana test result

I am trying to understand my ana results. the info I have is:
    antinuclear antibodies direct 24 U/mL limits
    0-99
    negative <100
    equivocal 100-120
    positive >120

can someone please explain to me what this means? the 24 U/mL is the result of my test. I unfortunately havent been able to get a hold of the doc and the internet gives me ratios that look nothing like my results. any other info on my test results that i need look for or know please let me know. Thank You.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
    VeeJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User
    Re: ana test result

Dove, hi & welcome. Although only a patient, I agree that your lab seems to use a different measuring system (not the ratios). It looks to me like your ANA result fell within your lab's negative range, but your dr. should confirm that, of course.

But ANA testing has known pitfalls, so I believe you should be guided by your symptoms, and then persist if required! Here are some examples of ANA pitfalls. First, ANA stays negative in people with "skin-only" lupus. Second, even in "systemic" lupus, ANA can vacillate as flares come & go. Third & oddest, in systemic lupus, in a small subgroup (something like 3% to 5%), ANA remains negative in "Ro-lupus", which describes someone who meets 4 or more diagnostic criteria, with anti-Ro positive and ANA staying negative. (There, clear as mud, huh? )

But that's why I mentioned SYMPTOMS. FYI, there are "sticky posts" at the top of the thread list containing info on lupus symptoms, tests, diagnostic criteria, reading resources, etc. If you see yourself described, I hope you perservere, no matter what your recent ANA test showed.

I hope above helps some & that you post again soon. Meanwhile, sending my best wishes to you, sincerely, Vee

Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
    Re: ana test result

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dove062476 View Post
    I am trying to understand my ana results. the info I have is:
    antinuclear antibodies direct 24 U/mL limits
    0-99
    negative <100
    equivocal 100-120
    positive >120

can someone please explain to me what this means? the 24 U/mL is the result of my test. I unfortunately havent been able to get a hold of the doc and the internet gives me ratios that look nothing like my results. any other info on my test results that i need look for or know please let me know. Thank You.
    Looks like a negative result. I think a postive result would be >120 U/ML but I am not 100% sure. My ANA direct will state whether the test is postive or negative.

Closed Thread