It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

• Dizziness and nausea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
    Sports555
    (female)

Sports555 HB User
    Dizziness and nausea

I am so infiltrated with both symptoms right now.

I was diagnosed with muscular TMJ or TMD about three years ago. I ignored it because it wasn't so bad. Well, I am a prime example of what NOT to do!

I now have both sides of my jaw muscles aching and the second they have to chew, I am dizzy as heck, and I'm basically dizzy in general 24/7. My temples kill, my neck is a mess, my head feels heavy, my eyes feel like they're going to pop out. My ears keep ringing and crackling and my teeth even hurt.

The pain is not the big part though. It's the dizziness and nausea. Ever since the spasms have taken place all over my jaw/head/neck... I feel like I'm walking on a boat, sometimes things spin around me, I feel like I'm personally spinning inside of myself, things look like they are shaking, I feel dizzy depending on what position I am sleeping in at night. I then get super nauseated from all of this. I have a weak stomach to begin with. I have motility issues with my stomach so the nausea from the motion part of it is pure hell.

I saw an ENT about two weeks ago to just look at inner ear and she claimed no infection and didn't believe it was from the inner ear directly. No clue how she realized this but I did have some balance testing (which I was so dizzy while doing) and she performed another type of test that apparently I passed too. She then ordered a brain MRI and brain MRA, both of which were normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to decrease the dizziness and nausea?

I am seeing a neuro-dentist this coming week but I'm even scared to go out of the house to see him because of the dizziness and nausea. I feel so out of control. Thank God I work from home!

Last edited by Sports555; 01-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sports555 For This Useful Post:
    phillip1957 (02-18-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
    m a r k
    (male)

m a r k HB User
    Re: Dizziness and nausea

This is the exact situation I'm in. I can't move at all. Instant vertigo. Crushing pressure and face pain, neck and shoulders. I pray for us both.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
    tmjCT
    (female)

tmjCT HB User

I feel your pain..no pun intended. I have beeen living this everyday for over a year. I have been to 2 ENT's, an oral surgeon, a chripractor and now a NMD. I have an appointment with a Neurologist Monday also. I would be able to cope with pain, but the dizzy and vertigo I cannot.

Do you find that anything in particular makes it worse? Barometric pressure bothers me a ton-my ears..and heavy amounts of un-natural sodium..both increase dizziness. Make no bones about it though, I have TMJD and I clench like crazy. I did get an NTI which helped tremednously at first, but doesn't fix an underlying issue which is either an occlusal issue or stress (!?). I feel hopeless and helpless so.. I continue to search for answers.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
    phillip1957
    (male)

phillip1957 HB User

how are you feeling now

Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
    kathydib
    (female)

kathydib HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sports555 View Post
    I am so infiltrated with both symptoms right now.

I was diagnosed with muscular TMJ or TMD about three years ago. I ignored it because it wasn't so bad. Well, I am a prime example of what NOT to do!

I now have both sides of my jaw muscles aching and the second they have to chew, I am dizzy as heck, and I'm basically dizzy in general 24/7. My temples kill, my neck is a mess, my head feels heavy, my eyes feel like they're going to pop out. My ears keep ringing and crackling and my teeth even hurt.

The pain is not the big part though. It's the dizziness and nausea. Ever since the spasms have taken place all over my jaw/head/neck... I feel like I'm walking on a boat, sometimes things spin around me, I feel like I'm personally spinning inside of myself, things look like they are shaking, I feel dizzy depending on what position I am sleeping in at night. I then get super nauseated from all of this. I have a weak stomach to begin with. I have motility issues with my stomach so the nausea from the motion part of it is pure hell.

I saw an ENT about two weeks ago to just look at inner ear and she claimed no infection and didn't believe it was from the inner ear directly. No clue how she realized this but I did have some balance testing (which I was so dizzy while doing) and she performed another type of test that apparently I passed too. She then ordered a brain MRI and brain MRA, both of which were normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to decrease the dizziness and nausea?

I am seeing a neuro-dentist this coming week but I'm even scared to go out of the house to see him because of the dizziness and nausea. I feel so out of control. Thank God I work from home!
    I am new to the board. I read you post and it sounds exactly like me. I too have constant vertigo and an off balance feeling. I also have that on a boat feeling. I have been to so many ENT's I cant even remember how many. I had vestibular testing done two times.But of course everything was normal. I had two brain MRIs and so many CT scans , I dont even want to think about it. I also have the heavy feeling in my head especially on the right side. If I lean to the right it feels like Im going to tip over. My problems are mostly on my right side. My muscles in my jaw head and neck are in a constant spasm. I t never stops. My tests always come back normal. I am currently being treated by Dr Fraschetti in Mi. I wear a hard splint and have had braces on my upper teeth. So far. it has not helped. I too feel like I dont want to leave the house because you never know when the symptoms will be worse. If I go shopping I have to grap a cart just to keep my balance. I also get this pulling sensation on the right thats hard to explain except it feels like my muscles are so tight in my R temple its hard to keep my head upright. I wish I had suggestions on how to get rid of this . I have given up on Dr,s helping me they seen to look at your test results and when they are normal they just want to give you a Rx and get you out of thier office. It does make me feel better to know other people understand . My friends and family dont . Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
    phillip1957
    (male)

phillip1957 HB User
    Smile Re: Dizziness and nausea

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathydib View Post
    I am new to the board. I read you post and it sounds exactly like me. I too have constant vertigo and an off balance feeling. I also have that on a boat feeling. I have been to so many ENT's I cant even remember how many. I had vestibular testing done two times.But of course everything was normal. I had two brain MRIs and so many CT scans , I dont even want to think about it. I also have the heavy feeling in my head especially on the right side. If I lean to the right it feels like Im going to tip over. My problems are mostly on my right side. My muscles in my jaw head and neck are in a constant spasm. I t never stops. My tests always come back normal. I am currently being treated by Dr Fraschetti in Mi. I wear a hard splint and have had braces on my upper teeth. So far. it has not helped. I too feel like I dont want to leave the house because you never know when the symptoms will be worse. If I go shopping I have to grap a cart just to keep my balance. I also get this pulling sensation on the right thats hard to explain except it feels like my muscles are so tight in my R temple its hard to keep my head upright. I wish I had suggestions on how to get rid of this . I have given up on Dr,s helping me they seen to look at your test results and when they are normal they just want to give you a Rx and get you out of thier office. It does make me feel better to know other people understand . My friends and family dont . Hope to hear from you soon.
    it makes me feel better that i am not the only one out there
    i have had this 2years this winter seems the worse. Summer time I feel pretty good.
    the cold brings it on bad with ear aches,dizzy like your drunk.
    Magnesium vitimans seem to help.and stress brings it on bad.
    I am going to church today will say a prayer.plus I have a slight
    cold maybe that adds to it too.
    god bless

Last edited by phillip1957; 02-19-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: mistakes

Closed Thread