It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Did I make a mistake?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
    Russler1
    (female)

Russler1 HB User
    Unhappy Did I make a mistake?

I had lasik last week, today is day 9 after the procedure. I had my one week post op appt. yesterday and my vision is no better than it was the day after surgery. I had just one eye done, because of issues with my other eye. I currently have 20-50 in my lasik eye and the dr. said I have conjunctivas which is causing the blurring in my vision and he put me back on antibiotics. I go back next week again.

I'm afraid I made a mistake getting lasik. Maybe I'm too old? 57 is my age. My dr. has been written up in Newsweek for his expertise in lasik so I can't really think he messed up. He says we'll get it right as soon as the infection is cleared up and he thinks that's the problem.

Any tips? Any advice? Will I get better or did I make another mistake? I already made a HUGE one when I let them take my thyroid out.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User
    Re: Did I make a mistake?

Hey Russ , these LASIK surgeons are all " experts" until they have to face LASIK complications. Then they are just clueless cause there are no cures for some issues. So having a surgeon written in in an article or magazine is no better than having a person who has done 1. In your case you may have a chance here. Just a possible infection. So with some antibiotics you have a good chance to get rid of blurring in time. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
    Russler1
    (female)

Russler1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Regret eyes View Post
    Hey Russ , these LASIK surgeons are all " experts" until they have to face LASIK complications. Then they are just clueless cause there are no cures for some issues. So having a surgeon written in in an article or magazine is no better than having a person who has done 1. In your case you may have a chance here. Just a possible infection. So with some antibiotics you have a good chance to get rid of blurring in time. Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that my doc was Mr. KnowAll. My biggest fear is that this infection has screwed my chances of having decent sight and maybe I'm just being too paranoid.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
    gavchels
    (female)

gavchels HB User

Well I am a lasik patient who had it 10 days ago. I have no infection and my right eye is 20/70. So I completely understand the stress and helplessness you feel by not seeing well. The doctor is probably right. Being a nurse, I know the infection can cause edema and blurriness. Just like any surgery or injury. Your eye has been throw something tramatic even if the procedure didn't cause much discomfort.
    Give it time. This is something I tell myself EVERYDAY!!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
    Russler1
    (female)

Russler1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gavchels View Post
    Well I am a lasik patient who had it 10 days ago. I have no infection and my right eye is 20/70. So I completely understand the stress and helplessness you feel by not seeing well. The doctor is probably right. Being a nurse, I know the infection can cause edema and blurriness. Just like any surgery or injury. Your eye has been throw something tramatic even if the procedure didn't cause much discomfort.
    Give it time. This is something I tell myself EVERYDAY!!
    Thank you! It's hard cause patience isn't one of my virtues. But I guess we both have to wait it out and here's hoping BOTH of us see the world in a new light SOON!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

gav, what was your script prior to surgery? Do you have night vision problems?Did anyone else in your medical profession get this done that you know of?If so did they endorse this surgery? Just curious. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
    gavchels
    (female)

gavchels HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Regret eyes View Post
    gav, what was your script prior to surgery? Do you have night vision problems?Did anyone else in your medical profession get this done that you know of?If so did they endorse this surgery? Just curious. Thanks!
    I didn't ask my script. Sure wish I had. My contacts were
    -1.00 -2.25 left
    -0.25 -2.25 right

As for night vision. Oh yes I have been driven around lately. It appears to be easy if its busy and a lot of lights. Highway driving is super hard bc its all dark and then a beam of light peers from headlights.
    Distance is bad day or night. I see the halos but to me it just seems to look like it would if it was a foggy night.
    I am a school nurse. I have done Pediatrics, OB GYN, and allergy.
    I had an ex boyfriend who had it 2 years ago with success. I was with him thru it all and that prompted me. I finally got courage and facebooked any friends who had it and I was suprised with all the friends who have been successful.
    I only had one who did say she regretted it bc she uses glasses now but I have never seen her in them. So i don't know.
    I have just changed rewetting drops since not all are created equal and they seem better. I just noticed my eyes burned when i put them in and when all the drops cleared i had relief.
    Any changes to help. My eyes don't seem dry but decided to keep lubricating them. I mean they did get lasers on them.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
    Russler1
    (female)

Russler1 HB User

1 month since I've had Lasik and I STILL have frickin' pink eye. They changed drops 2wks ago, and I go in again tomorrow, but I still have some discharge.

I will say that it appears my vision has gotten a bit better. I guess I have the exact info tomorrow.

Any advice on getting rid of this crappy infection???

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Russler, make sure you aren't allergic to the antibiotics they're giving you! I had pink eye once and I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics they gave me. It made my eye SOO red and swollen and itchy and full of goo! It was gross and uncomfortable! Do you have it in both eyes, or just the one?

I thought my pink eye was just sticking around and I was totally frustrated by the fact that it wouldn't go away! Turned out it couldn't go away because I kept aggravating it with the stupid drops I was allergic to! Yeah.... I felt like a genius!

Oh, and hang in there! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be having pink eye, AND dealing with questions about your post lasik vision! It takes time for your eye to heal post lasik. A good few months, really. So, just give it time....

Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
    Russler1
    (female)

Russler1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
    Russler, make sure you aren't allergic to the antibiotics they're giving you! I had pink eye once and I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics they gave me. It made my eye SOO red and swollen and itchy and full of goo! It was gross and uncomfortable! Do you have it in both eyes, or just the one?

I thought my pink eye was just sticking around and I was totally frustrated by the fact that it wouldn't go away! Turned out it couldn't go away because I kept aggravating it with the stupid drops I was allergic to! Yeah.... I felt like a genius!

Oh, and hang in there! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be having pink eye, AND dealing with questions about your post lasik vision! It takes time for your eye to heal post lasik. A good few months, really. So, just give it time....

Thank you! Brilliant! I never thought of allergies cause I've never really been troubled by allergies other than seasonal. I'll ask tomorrow. Oh and it's just one eye.

Last edited by Russler1; 02-20-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: adding

Old 02-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
    MarioX2
    Inactive
    (male)

MarioX2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gavchels View Post
    I didn't ask my script. Sure wish I had. My contacts were
    -1.00 -2.25 left
    -0.25 -2.25 right

As for night vision. Oh yes I have been driven around lately. It appears to be easy if its busy and a lot of lights. Highway driving is super hard bc its all dark and then a beam of light peers from headlights.
    Distance is bad day or night. I see the halos but to me it just seems to look like it would if it was a foggy night.
    I am a school nurse. I have done Pediatrics, OB GYN, and allergy.
    I had an ex boyfriend who had it 2 years ago with success. I was with him thru it all and that prompted me. I finally got courage and facebooked any friends who had it and I was suprised with all the friends who have been successful.
    I only had one who did say she regretted it bc she uses glasses now but I have never seen her in them. So i don't know.
    I have just changed rewetting drops since not all are created equal and they seem better. I just noticed my eyes burned when i put them in and when all the drops cleared i had relief.
    Any changes to help. My eyes don't seem dry but decided to keep lubricating them. I mean they did get lasers on them.
    You see, you had such minor prescription, and they need to take less of tissue from cornea if prescription is smaller, and you end up witn nightvisin issues, not as crisp etc. And you say your ex had it done and no problems. But considering new lasers and custom guided technologies, and all marketing and specs of laser who are made to prevent nightvision problems, some people end up with problems. To me is seem like it's random... and random surgery success is not a good surgery. And we're not talking about hadn surgery, finger surgery, eyes, prblems with eyes can cause psychological problems, depression etc. really makes me thinks, and if it is really random, how can doctors and staff live with themselves to do this, money? Dear god open a burger joint and get good money, you won't hurt anyone permanently.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
    MarioX2
    Inactive
    (male)

MarioX2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russler1 View Post
    I had lasik last week, today is day 9 after the procedure. I had my one week post op appt. yesterday and my vision is no better than it was the day after surgery. I had just one eye done, because of issues with my other eye. I currently have 20-50 in my lasik eye and the dr. said I have conjunctivas which is causing the blurring in my vision and he put me back on antibiotics. I go back next week again.

I'm afraid I made a mistake getting lasik. Maybe I'm too old? 57 is my age. My dr. has been written up in Newsweek for his expertise in lasik so I can't really think he messed up. He says we'll get it right as soon as the infection is cleared up and he thinks that's the problem.

Any tips? Any advice? Will I get better or did I make another mistake? I already made a HUGE one when I let them take my thyroid out.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    Hey look on bright side, if you just have some prescription left, at least yu can use glasses to see clear, but you won't be bllind as a bat as bafore without them. If it's something else of blurrines or nightvision issues then that is a different story. And one bright part to, hey you're almost 60, what, you got maybe 10-20years of life left on this planet, at least you didn't make mistake at 30y old with much more longer years on this planet

And this bothers me, some lasik surgeons say they don't operate on older people, how old is old, do they mean 80 years old? Who in 80 years old need lasik to correct eyesight lol. Cause if you are older then you heal slowly and some surgeons don't perform it on older people cause it may not heal well. But i guess, we don't know, every clinic has its standard, and in the end just money is important it seems.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
    amiramin
    (male)

amiramin HB User

well i would say that

Good ones make horrible mistakes

Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
    Russler1
    (female)

Russler1 HB User

Well things are looking up. I'm at 20/30 plus points now, a month out and dr. took me off the eye drop antibiotic and we're trying an ointment. If that doesn't work in a week, I'll go on an oral antibiotic. they think I definitely will hit 20/20 by 3 months out.

Closed Thread