It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Should I do it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
    jrm12345
    (female)

jrm12345 HB User
    Should I do it?

I am considering getting lasik on my eyes. I am 27 years old and have worn glasses/contacts since I was in the third grade. I am really nearsighted. My contact prescription is -8.68 in both eyes. With my contacts in, the doctor said I see about 20/30 and this about what I would expect to see after the surgery. I went for a consultation a couple of weeks ago and the doctor said everything looked good and normal and that I was an excellent candidate. He then sent me for a second test on my cornea which measures the thickness all around the eye and not just the front. It came back normal as well.

I really, really want to get the surgery. I have been so blind for so long that I cannot imagine being able to wake up and see. However, I have been researching this like crazy and I hear/read so many different stories, some good and some bad. I have talked to the doctor about my concerns and he has answered all of my questions the way I would hope, but I am still nervous. I am not worried about the actual surgery. I am worried about the problems some people endure afterwards. blurred vision, halos, difficulty seeing in dim or dark light. I am also looking to have kids within the next few years and I have heard that a bad pregnancy can effect the surgery results. I have a feeling this is rare, but still scary.

Has an one recently had lasik that had really bad or worse vision than I currently have? If so, what was your experience like? Would you do it again?
    Did you encounter any problems afterwards? Most of the people I personally know that has had lasik did not have that bad of vision to begin with and everything turned out great. The doctor told me since I am so nearsighted, I have a greater chance of needing an enhancement after the first surgery, although it is still a slight chance.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
    Re: Should I do it?

My only regret about lasik, is that I wish I had done it sooner! It's been just over 5 years since my lasik, and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself! Yes, the 6 month recovery was absolute hell, but that's because I was under the impression that I'd have perfect vision the next day after my surgery! Nobody told me that it took an average of 3-6 months for my vision to clear! Mine took that long because I wasn't using my artificial tears near enough! As soon as I started using them more, my vision cleared faster.

As far as long term problems, I haven't experienced any.

My vision was pretty bad before lasik. I don't remember what it was, but I know I was legally blind without glasses or contacts.... I couldn't even tell there was supposed to be a big E on the eye chart! I'm sure if you went back to my earlier posts on this board, you could find it.... I know it wasn't as bad as yours, though! But it was pretty bad....

Anyway, I recommend it to everyone.... but do your research first and make sure it's right for you! Good luck!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

Jr I was -875 in both eyes. That did not take into effect my astigmatism which added another -1. After the surgery I was left with dry eyes, starbursts and halos. With your script you will be left with these high order aberrations ,regardless of what the idiot doctor says. 16 months post surgery my eyes are exactly the same! I listened to my o.d.tell me to give it time until I realized I was screwed and there was nothing they could do. The actual surgeon was useless. I met him 2 minutes prior to surgery. I'll never forget what the o.d. Said to me the morning of the surgery. He said " good luck , ." then he said " it's not luck, it's skill."... Ill never forget those quotes from the o.d..I did emergency follow up with the surgeon 2 days after surgery. That was useless. He just gave me more crap to pour into my eyes and said give it time. ... Don't do it jr youll regret it. But it's your decision. If you do it I hope it turns out well for you.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
    otte
    (male)

otte HB User

I would not recommend this to anyone. I have had a bad trip and still do not see clearly. Night time vision is bad, Halos and starbursts, I have glasses that correct this to drive and glasses on the computer. Not what I bought into.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
    Russler1
    (female)

Russler1 HB User

I say go for it! Even tho I had some initial issues, it's coming around beautifully now and I'm very happy!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
    jrm12345
    (female)

jrm12345 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
    My only regret about lasik, is that I wish I had done it sooner! It's been just over 5 years since my lasik, and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself! Yes, the 6 month recovery was absolute hell, but that's because I was under the impression that I'd have perfect vision the next day after my surgery! Nobody told me that it took an average of 3-6 months for my vision to clear! Mine took that long because I wasn't using my artificial tears near enough! As soon as I started using them more, my vision cleared faster.

As far as long term problems, I haven't experienced any.

My vision was pretty bad before lasik. I don't remember what it was, but I know I was legally blind without glasses or contacts.... I couldn't even tell there was supposed to be a big E on the eye chart! I'm sure if you went back to my earlier posts on this board, you could find it.... I know it wasn't as bad as yours, though! But it was pretty bad....

Anyway, I recommend it to everyone.... but do your research first and make sure it's right for you! Good luck!

Thank you for your feedback. During that 6 months that your eyes were healing, what were your main problems? Was your vision blurry? If so, was it blurry everyday or just some days? Could you live life normally? Sorry, for all the questions. I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thank you!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
    jrm12345
    (female)

jrm12345 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Regret eyes View Post
    Jr I was -875 in both eyes. That did not take into effect my astigmatism which added another -1. After the surgery I was left with dry eyes, starbursts and halos. With your script you will be left with these high order aberrations ,regardless of what the idiot doctor says. 16 months post surgery my eyes are exactly the same! I listened to my o.d.tell me to give it time until I realized I was screwed and there was nothing they could do. The actual surgeon was useless. I met him 2 minutes prior to surgery. I'll never forget what the o.d. Said to me the morning of the surgery. He said " good luck , ." then he said " it's not luck, it's skill."... Ill never forget those quotes from the o.d..I did emergency follow up with the surgeon 2 days after surgery. That was useless. He just gave me more crap to pour into my eyes and said give it time. ... Don't do it jr youll regret it. But it's your decision. If you do it I hope it turns out well for you.

Thank you for your feedback. The starbursts and halos are a big concern for me. I asked my doctor's assistant who has helped him in lasik surgeries for over 13 years about these side effects possibly happening to me, she said they are more of a concern for people who are farsighted or who have large pupils. She said the biggest complaint their patients have after surgery is dry eyes.

As far as your actual vision now, is it better than it was before? Do you still have to wear glasses/contacts besides when you drive at night?

Also, did you have to go in for an enhancement after the first surgery? The doctor told me in my consultation that it is possible since my vision is so bad but it is still rare. I am just curious if you had to have an enhancement and if so, how bad was your vision before the enhancement?

Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
    otte
    (male)

otte HB User

My biggest problems are at night time. The left over astigmatism is greatly evident when looking at any lights. Star Bursts, Halos and ghosting. I have had enhancements done in both eyes and they still are not right. I have talked with other people, even my sister, that said, after I had mine done, that night time vision is no where near the sharpness they used to have. Even my own eye doc commented on how much scarring he could see along the edges of the flaps.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

Jr I would never go in for any enhancement. Ever. Left over astigmatism in left eye has me at 20/30. Right eye is slightly better. I wear glasses all the time. As for contacts I'll need an expert to try and fit me for those. The shape of your cornea permanently changes shape after this surgery. The cornea becomes flat after surgery. Your altering the shape of your cornea due to the surgery. Bottom line is I'm bitter the way it turned out. These so called surgeons have no clue what to do when complications arise. Every light source I look at is surrounded by halos and car headlights come at me in the form of starbursts. I have wasted more money than I can count on lubricating drops. How I wish I was in contacts again.

Closed Thread