It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Increasing Zoloft?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
    momto3crazies
    (female)

momto3crazies HB User
    Increasing Zoloft?

Hey All!
    So I've been on sertraline for about 2 months now. I started on 25 and had a really rough first two weeks, lost weight, couldn't sleep, panic attacks daily etc. They subsided after the first two weeks and I was supposed to increase to 50mg after a week but i was so miserable, I couldn't do it. I went for a follow up, told the doc some of the crazy thoughts I was having and she said I have to increase because it's not effective yet. That was a week ago, and I had a dermatologist appointment this morning that I was terrified to go to, I'm an excessive worrier and I was afraid I had stage 4 skin cancer... all is good, not even a worrisome spot but anyway, I was afraid to increase before that appointment because I was worried enough as it was.

Now that that appointment is over, which I have actually been panicking about for 7 years, I wonder if i need to increase it or possible stop it? I don't know what to do! I also wnat to know if the horrible symptoms will come back with an increase?

Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
    Re: Increasing Zoloft?

Hello momto3crazies.

I think 25mg of Zoloft is a rather low dose. I started at 50mg of Zoloft so I can see why your doctor is saying you need to increase your dosage for it to become effective. I didn't have problems with Zoloft until I went up to 200mg, at which point I frequently felt tired throughout the day. I'm now taking 150mg of Wellbutrin to lessen this side effect and I think it's working.

If you decide to do the increase it's possible your body has become acclimated to the Zoloft so you may not experience any horrible side-effects as when you were first starting out. I think something to consider is whether you're taking Zoloft strictly for anxiety or whether you're also taking it to treat depressive symptoms. I think Zoloft has worked best on my depression but not so much with my anxiety. I'm taking Buspar for my anxiety which has helped a lot without causing any side-effects.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
    momto3crazies
    (female)

momto3crazies HB User

Thanks for your reply flamesabers! I'm sort of torn, funny that you should ask whether it's anxiety or depression. Basically I have been told I'm an excessive worrier and in turn, have panic attacks from that. I agree that it hasn't helped at all but my doctor said it's because my dose it so low. Half of me wants to get off of it because my panic attacks are so few and far between... I can go months without any and if I have one I have Ativan I can take to help. I just worry about random things but unless I go into full panic mode, they don't affect me. Now i'm afraid to go off of it because i've read the withdrawal symptoms can be terrible. I guess i will go up to 50 and see what happens...

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Something else I've tried that has worked for me is attending an excessive worry group at a local hospital. I learned about the different cognitive distortions I use that contributes to my anxiety and how to change my thinking to have more control over my anxiety symptoms. I also had to do 'homework' which consisted of writing about what caused my anxiety and such in-between the weekly sessions.

If you can join a group like this in your area I highly recommend doing so, especially if the increase in Zoloft doesn't work out favorably for you.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
    reallylovesdogs
    (female)

reallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB User

I am on my 5th week of zoloft (I have an anxiety disorder) & and understand your thoughts completely. I transitioned from Lexapro directly to 100 mg zoloft. I had a horrible first 2-3 weeks, anxiety almost all the time, jittery, insomnia, etc. I finally went in & my doctor said the same thing, it wasn't a high enough dose and I should bump it up. I did, although I was scared that I'd go through all that increased anxiety again, but after about a week on the higher dose I could feel it starting to work. Now I'm VERY glad I did. I'm still not all the way there yet, but I know I need to give it a little more time.

25 mg isn't even a therapeutic dose I believe. I would most definitely try raising your dose, and you may need to go beyond 50 mg as well. 25/50 mg are small doses and anxiety sometimes requires higher doses.

I've been on SSRI's for almost 15 years and I promise the relief can be so profound once you get the right dose/med. Unfortunately, my first med pooped out after 14 years, so I'm finding the right "new" med for me.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
    momto3crazies
    (female)

momto3crazies HB User

Thank you!!! I took 50 yesterday and today and anxiety isn't too bad but insomnia sucks!! Especially with 3 kids under 7 but I know it won't last. I go back to the doc every 6 weeks now to re-evaluate and am going to search for some worry groups because I would prefer not to be on meds but rather get to the root cause of the problem.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

My doctor was the one who told me about the worry group as it's operated by the hospital. Perhaps your doctor knows about some worry groups you could look into?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
    reallylovesdogs
    (female)

reallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB User

Good luck, hang tight. Waiting for these meds to work is a painfully long process, but like I said it can really help. I know when I first started Paxil it took 6-8 weeks before I really felt much better.

Closed Thread