It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Enough Time For PRK Recovery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
    acctgal
    (female)

acctgal HB User
    Enough Time For PRK Recovery?

Hi -

I'm considering PRK. I actually have an appt scheduled to do it next week. However, I can only get one additional day off of work to recover (5 days total). I've read a lot of people don't get functional vision back for a while after the surgery and I'm concerned about driving or straining my eyes on the computer. Taking additional time off of work is not an option right now.

Should I wait until I can take more time to recover? What is the typical recovery time? Also, my doctor is prescribing 3 sets of eye drops for me - can anyone let me know what those are for, how long I have to take them, and what the possible side effects of the drops might be?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User
    Re: Enough Time For PRK Recovery?

What is your prescription, what method for treatment? Oh yea, you might consider droping it all, yu can end up worse than you are.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
    acctgal
    (female)

acctgal HB User

My prescription is -3.25 both eyes. I have astigmatism (not sure what degree) in one eye and nothing in the other eye. I currently wear contacts. I have glasses but don't like to wear them often because they give me headaches (I'm prone to migraines). My vision has been steady for the last 10 years but I'm noticing issues between focusing when I go from near vision to far vision. I'm really active too and the contacts sometimes interfere.

My eyes aren't that bad. I can see to get around when I get up but I can't see detail and I need them to drive. I actually see better to read without my glasses or contacts.

My husband had LASIK last year and loves it - no adverse effects at all. His eyes were much worse than mine, though. He couldn't see anything without his glasses and he couldn't handle contacts. I am a candidate for LASIK but I have a genetic predisposition to develop Keratonconus so the doctor suggested PRK since he says it will eliminate that risk.

I'm really on the fence right now. I know many people with great experiences who say it's been the best thing they've ever done but I have read about some bad outcomes. The PRK especially worries me because the length of recovery time is so uncertain and my life doesn't allow for much uncertainty or down time.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User

My advice is really think this through, don't go just by those people who had great experience after lasik, it doesn't mean you will. You need to stay real, no extreme positive thinking, I went with positive thinking, that actually doesn't impact outcome at all

Think of it this way, what if some prescription is left of after procedure, or what if you go in +, what if you get migranes after it and you can't fix it easily. And the most notorious side effect, loss of quality of visin in low light, oh belive me, htat is one demonic side effect or complication. And no fix for it. If glasses give you migraine maybe you shuld change prescriptin in them or something.

The procedure is literally gambling with you stable eyesight now, and your untouched cornea. I think that bravest thing is to accept your eyesight that was given to you, then to go under the knife so easily.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
    acctgal
    (female)

acctgal HB User

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked into this a lot on this site as well as another one and I've decided this procedure is not for me. There are too many unknowns and even if I were to have a positive outcome, the recovery time is just too much for me. I'm not a very patient person and as you pointed out, this could trigger my migraines, which would be unacceptable.

I'm looking at other alternatives, ICL and Ortho-K. Do you know anything about either of these?

I really appreciate all of your advice and perspective - it has helped me really evaluate this process carefully.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User

ICL is surgery also right? I would advise try all that is not surgery and it is reversible, and try to settle with your sight and vision, there are glasses there are contacts. It's not like we don't have nothing to correct vision with, sure now that LASIK clinics are advertising freedom of everything everyone hates glasses or contacts.

Closed Thread