It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Need help with Lexapro please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
    anksish
    (female)

anksish HB User
    Need help with Lexapro please!

I was prescribed 5mg of Lexapro almost two months ago..I am three days away from finishing my second month..The first two weeks were not great and I got through them with the help of taking Ativan .5 mg here and there..I have not taken and ativan in the past 6 weeks or so. I am seeing my Dr. tomorrow and I am wondering if I should ask for an increase in dosage. My journey on this drug goes something like..

first two weeks - increased anxiety, brain fog etc.
    2-5 weeks - no symptoms feeling ok not great but no anxiety.
    5-7 weeks increased irritability still no anxiety though
    7-8 weeks irritable-some crying- no anxiety
    8th weeks - irritable/sad/some crying/slight anxious today

It seems to me like the drug has dealt with my anxiety but I'm just not feeling like I'm getting the full effects and feel horrible today to the point where I'm about to take an ativan to feel better...

Should I go up to 10 mg?? I was hoping to be stabilized enought to wean off after a few months and it's a bit disheartening that I need to up the dosage.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
    d0ink
    (male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User
    Re: Need help with Lexapro please!

It sounds like you are relying on the drug to make your anxiety disappear. While it might make it better it won't go away until you have dealt with what has caused the anxiety itself. These drugs are anything but magic pills. They help you through rough times, but don't solve a thing.

Sounds like you have been misinformed or not informed about them at all. Two months are a very short period to tell if the drug actually helps you. It will take some more months to be sure about that. Upping the dosage might give you more symptoms like you had in the first two weeks. I would only do this if really necessary and it does not sound like it is now.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
    anksish
    (female)

anksish HB User

Thank you for your reply. I realize that pills are not a permanent solution and this was the reason I was so against going on an SSRI to begin with..however, the panic and anxiety got so bad that I was worried about transitioning into crippling depression...thank you for your feedback.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
    db851
    (male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

You might want to research this, but I don't even think Lexapro is prescribed in 5mg doses? Are you cutting pills in half, or do they actually have 5mg tablets now? Just curious because back when I was on it, the smallest dose available was 10mg. I also remember being told that anything less than that wouldn't be very therapeutic. If I'm wrong, somebody set me straight, but I'd say if you are bound and determined on taking an SSRI to get you through this, the doctor should've prescribed you 10mg at a minimum. I have to say that I agree with doink though in looking for an alternative. Have you tried some hard core exercising? They've done studies showing that exercising actually works better than anti depressants in the long run. I've been on pills before too though, and totally understand your fear of depression. Just getting a little background. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
    anksish
    (female)

anksish HB User

Thank you for the feedback...I do take half of a 10 mg pill and it was a big decision for me to go on a medication.....i've had anxiety and panic attacks for years but not very often and dealt with them with no meds....if I'm going to be on a medicaton for short term..I guess I would rather be on a therapuetic dose and off when i have stabilized..rather than a low dose and playing with doses for months...I will discuss with the Dr. today... and YES I do need to exercise much more!!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
    Yorkshiretea
    (female)

Yorkshiretea HB User

Hi Anksish!

I've been taking Escitalopram (Lexapro in the US, Cipralex in the UK) for quite a few years now, and it was only 10mg that stabilised my moods. I'm now taking 5 as I'm trying to come off it (yes they do make it in 5s, at least they do in the UK) but it's having such little effect that I feel like I might as well not be taking it at all.

I would say that if you REALLY don't feel like you're coping, go for 10. If you think you can find another way to get through it, ask your doctor if you can come off it completely. I'm a complete wreck at the moment - it's notoriously difficult to get off (I don't mean it's addictive, you just need to lower your dosage very slowly.)

All the best, YT :-) x

Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
    anksish
    (female)

anksish HB User

Well, my Dr told me to up it to 10 as he had planned all along..I just wish it was not after two months..so now i'm at a crossroads..do i start the 10 like he wants me to and stay on for at least 6 months to stabilize or go off of them completely..not sure yet.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
    lun4tic
    (male)

lun4tic HB User

Go with the 10s, ask for another appointment in two weeks, rather than two months.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
    db851
    (male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

I say that if you can make it without medication, amen. I've been off of Lexapro for almost two years now....finally. If you're on the fence, try all the alternatives first. You said you need to exercise, well thats what I do. Every chance I get. Not just in the gym either, take up some sports like softball or volleyball. Look into them at a local Y. Anything to gain a community and get some good exercise in! I think it'll do wonders for somebody like you who is on the fence. I totally understand how debilitating anxiety can be, though, and see why some people resort to it. I know in my case, back in the day when I didn't know what was happening, I probably would've lost my job without it. Anyway, I know that you'll get through this, its just a matter of when.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
    lun4tic
    (male)

lun4tic HB User

The reason I believe you should stick with it, is that it really will make things better. You'll take the 10s, as he suggests, and make an appointment for two weeks. When you come back, your update will most likely prompt him to give you an increase to 20mg. You'll be at that dose for maybe a year, likely longer, and the entire time you'll feel like your self again. While it may be tempting to drop the medication, do not. Give it some time. Give your mind a vacation. You wouldn't need the chemicals in your brain if your brain wasn't lacking them. Always keep an open discussion with your doctor about your experiences, and discuss it with him when you're ready to wean off.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
    anksish
    (female)

anksish HB User
    Cool Re: Need help with Lexapro please!

I just wanted to give an update and say thanks to all of you for your feedback..I really do appreciate it all! Lun4tic, I really do appreciate your viewpoint and I have adopted a similar approach...I figure, I can either take meds and feel guilty during the whole process, which in turn would be counterproductive OR I can listen to my Dr. and look at this as a necessary process for me to rehabilitate myself...I will be going back to see my dr. in a couple of weeks but I am hoping 10 is my sweet spot!

I took my first 10 mg today and after the first hour I started feeling spaced out and my skin started tingling..I knew what was happening so I was able to work through it....i did have to take a .5 mg ativan as I was nervous about being so jittery driving to my second job which is almost an hour away...second half of the day was no problem...so we'll see tomorrow..

Closed Thread