It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Numbness from chin to incision site after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User
    Numbness from chin to incision site after ACDF

I've been reading that this is quite common-I forgot to ask my NS today when I saw him. I asked him every thing else I wanted to but that slipped my mind. Is this serious-I am 4 months post op and from what I've read it's from the nerves being cut.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
    Re: Numbness from chin to incision site after ACDF

I read that it was quite common too. Don't really think it's serious unless it interferes with something you need to rely on for feeling.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenzibenzi View Post
    I read that it was quite common too. Don't really think it's serious unless it interferes with something you need to rely on for feeling.
    Thanks. Love the avatar, LOL!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Realhousewife For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (05-02-2012)
    Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, numbness sometimes happens after surgery. Sometimes it's from a nerve actually getting cut, other times a nerve sort of "freaks out" from being brushed against, stretched or even just exposed to air during surgery.

The feeling might eventually come back, or it might not. Ankle surgery left me with a numb toe. After a year passed, I figured it was going to be numb permanently. At 14 months, the sensation came back, which surprised me! So, wait and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    Realhousewife (05-02-2012)
    Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

Yes, I asked that question yesterday and it is common. The answers that were given are spot on! I still have numbness in certain areas around my incision.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NJ Ldy View Post
    Yes, I asked that question yesterday and it is common. The answers that were given are spot on! I still have numbness in certain areas around my incision.
    Thanks for asking your NS. I was going to call and leave a msg but now I won't. It actually feels great to know that others have the same thing going on.

I'm hoping that I never have another problem with my neck even though I'm a realist and now it could happen but I'm not going to dwell on it. Life's too short to spend it thinking about things that might happen. I've run into two people who had the same surgery over 10 years ago and both are doing great. I'd like to think that's going to be me in 10 years too.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

I pray that this is the one and only surgery you need. If you do start to have symptoms, again, call the NS as soon as you can, and get to the bottom of whatever it is before it goes too far; I'm sure you already know this.

With me, and here's the sad part, my NS knew I had some instability in the disc above my first surgery as well as below, but, the insurance company would not pay for the surgery unless the disc was pressing at least 4mm into the spinal canal. So, 2 years after my first surgery, C2-3 finally herniated enough that the insurance company would pay for it. The disc below was still hanging on but very unstable, 2 years after C2-3 was fused, my pain management doc was giving me an injection into the C7-T1 area, the unstable disc. While he had me under the fluoroscope, he saw the disc was totally unstable and he knew it was time for me to see my NS. He gave me the injection, but said it wasn't going to do much, because the disc was too far gone. They were very concerned because the disc was moving all over and they were afraid it was going to push into the spinal cord and do some serious damage. It's the insurance companies that cause some people to suffer more than they should have to. I probably could have had one big surgery and gotten everything taken care of instead of 3 separate surgeries. Both of my doctors are praying that C1-C2 doesn't blow, but, because of my history, there is a strong possibility that it can go, that's one disc my NS says is tough, but he's done it. If that goes, my entire cervical spine will be fused.

So great to hear you had such a wonderful report from your NS. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will not need any more surgery.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

In my case it wasn't any insurance company-I don't have insurance. The delay in treatment for me was because I didn't have insurance and no one would take me locally. The neurosurgeon I have is a Trauma/Acute Care Neurosurgeon for one of the hospitals here. I was referred to him after going to that hospitals ER after 6 months of conservative treatment and being turned away from all of the neuro and ortho practices in town because I had no insurance. I was even lectured by some snotty ER nurse for not having insurance which is a violation of the law. She suggested I try someone out of town which I did. They had no problem taking my case but they wouldn't take the state medical program I have because I don't live in that county.

When I called the Neurosurgeon's office his office staff tried to roadblock me too because by then I wasn't an "acute" case. Lucky for me his physician's assistant felt sorry for me because I had suffered for so long and no one would help me. She's the one that made the decision for the neurosurgeon to see me. Before her all the PA's I came across have sucked and bordered on incompetent.

For me just knowing I HAVE someone to call if I have any other symptoms makes me feel so much better. I won't have to jump through hoops and have to deal with rude and insulting people to get to one next time.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

That just stinks. How is not having insurance against the law? What if you absolutely cannot afford insurance, are you suppose to not eat or let your home go into foreclosure because you need that money for health insurance. That's just ridiculous. There are people out there that just cannot afford to be insured, it's sad that they are treated like second class citizens. My husband works at a Level 1 trauma hospital, a lot of indigent people, but they are never refused care because they don't have insurance or they cannot afford treatment. It's really sad that we have issues like this in this Country. Will it ever change!!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
    Nanacan
    (female)

Nanacan HB UserNanacan HB UserNanacan HB User

Yep I'll be post op 2 level acdf about 05/10. I noticed the numbness from my chin to my incision also. I just figured it was normal,I had a 360 lumbar fusion bout 10 years ago & while the incision on my back has never been numb,I still have some numbness on the incision on my stomach. Like you I sure hope I never have any more neck problems! 2 back surgeries & 1 neck surgery is for sure enough! I've been doing really good for about the last month,but for last 2 days I have felt the tingling back in my hands,just wondered if y'all had had this experience, after numbness & tingling stopped,to have it come back??
    Acdf- 1/10/12
    Chairi malformation

Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

Hi Nanacan--I just had my 3rd ACDF January 5th of this year, all by C1-2 is fused in my cervical spine. I hear ya, I'm so tired of these fusions. I just found out I've got 3 herniations in my lumbar spine, but not enough to require surgery, yet. The curse of degenerative disc disease. I still have numbness/tingling on and off, and discomfort in my shoulder/neck/left arm. I don't know if it ever completely goes away. Most of my big symptoms have cleared up with the surgeries. I don't think your numbness and tingling is anything that's not ordinary. Every time I go back to see my NS they ask, any numbness and tingling? It takes time for everything to settle down after these surgeries.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NJ Ldy View Post
    That just stinks. How is not having insurance against the law? What if you absolutely cannot afford insurance, are you suppose to not eat or let your home go into foreclosure because you need that money for health insurance. That's just ridiculous. There are people out there that just cannot afford to be insured, it's sad that they are treated like second class citizens. My husband works at a Level 1 trauma hospital, a lot of indigent people, but they are never refused care because they don't have insurance or they cannot afford treatment. It's really sad that we have issues like this in this Country. Will it ever change!!
    A medical person lecturing you in the ER for not having insurance is a violation of the law.

Closed Thread