It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Lasik worth it for me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
    DMasters
    (male)

DMasters HB User
    Lasik worth it for me?

Hello, My eyes are really bad like my right eye is 9.0 and my left eye is 9.5. I want to get lasik but can they even do it with eyes that bad? And if they can, will the surgery work to where I wont have to wear glasses or contacts?
    Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User
    Re: Lasik worth it for me?

Avoid it like plague. Seems like they consider loss of wuality of vision normal in lasik industry, or expect you to get uased to it if it is small loss, well loss is loss no matter how small. You have high prescription, therefore in much more risk for developing serious quality of vision problems. Plus more risk of them not being able to get your prescription to zero. Plus you might not even be candidate for it depending on your cornea thickness. You might not wear glasses after surgery, but yu might get visual disturbances where no glasses help. Easy solution is, stick with your glasses and what your brain is used to all these years of wearing glasses.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
    Dalton683
    (male)

Dalton683 HB User

As someone with vision even WORSE than yours, I feel your pain. I wear the strongest contact lens prescription available, and have looked into Lasik myself. Yes, it can be more complicated with our bad eyes, and yes, it is likely they won't be able to give you 20/20 vision, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't worth it. Find a doctor you trust, get a consultation and get a definite price, then consider your options.

I for one am very tempted by the prospect of being able to read the clock in the middle of the night, or have ultra-thin lenses in my glasses that are actually ultra-thin. Really, it comes down to cost, safety, and how it can change your quality of life, regardless of whether you end up with perfect vision.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User

Problem is, waking up in the middle of the night to see your alarm clock doesn't mean you'll see it crisp clear. You could see all digits starbursting and having ghost and shadow of its own. While when you wake up, you put glasses instinctvly in 3seconds and you see that clock compleely normal. I am telling you, i went through different clinics, While they say differently on ********, their site etc, talking how quality of vision is not a problem, I can tell that they just know that patient needs to get used to new loss of vision. I guess those with really perfect outcomes where their quality of vision is not impacted after lasik, those are some really really lucky people.

As far as I know there are high index lens material for glasses, so peopel with -9 can have moderatly thin glasses. This is not 1970 where people with -2 wore lens thick glasses.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

Hey guy 448 you are dead on correct about this insidious surgery. You can only try and tell people the risks. If they listen well that's great. I ended up a victim of this surgery. 18 plus months later I'm still bitter as hell. I had a high script of -875 in both eyes. Starburts , halos and dry eyes ever since. I always say these moron doctors have no clue other than to keep saying take your drops it'll get better. Well it never did and never will. I don't preach the dangers anymore.I just tell the facts to people. If they wanna roll the dice it's on them. They'll find out in the end.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
    guy448
    (male)

guy448 HB User

yeap regret eyes. No matter the laser no matter all marketing schemes of custom guided system who eliminate all eye errors, nothing can guarantee perfect outcome. I am so sucpicious of perfect outcome in this procedure. I belive people just end up, most of them with mild halos, really mild and stabler vision then the rest f us, so to them is is perfect. You know I just don't understand how can they operate on people with big pupils. How can they risk knowing that people whose pupils get bigger then optical zone of laser ablation might end up with destroyed vision.

Closed Thread