It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Calling all Moms of younger kids on Strattera......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #16
    krissi31
    (female)

krissi31 HB User
    Smile

Hi! So glad to see so many people responding to this. My dd is turning 9 next week & we just started her on the Straterra. She has ADD & was on Adderall for most of the school year last year. It made a remarkable difference & she is now in the Gifted & Talented program at our school. However, she lost way too much weight & we had to take her off. She started the Straterra about 2 weeks ago, but I don't see too much of a difference yet. She gets very tired so we are giving it to her 2 hours before bedtime. I'm so afraid it won't work as well as the Adderall & she will have to drop the G&T program. She was very quiet & shy on the Adderall & didn't have too many friends. She seems to be more social on the Strat., but I hope it works as well as the Add.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 08:33 PM   #17
    firebug31

firebug31 HB User
    My son also switched to bedtime taking the strattera. It seems to be working but I've read other people say the Strattera wears off despite the info out there. I am anxious for school to start to see how he does socially. Last school year was not good and the end of the year was too late for that to change however a new year starts and I hope it proves to be better with his social life. I can tell you the Strattera made a big difference with his social skills on the baseball team.

I've read the Strattera will help the weight problem, my son could stand to gain a couple pounds will wait and see

Old 07-17-2003, 03:41 PM   #18
    meckman

meckman HB User
    nels10, thanks for the feedback on social situations. My son misses social cues, too, and is at the age (11) where he is sometimes teased. He's working on ignoring the teasing, and some of the other kids in his camp (and at school during the school year) try to help him by encouraging him to ignore the teasing. I think he gets teased because he talks so much and often in a loud voice. I encourage him to pay attention to when he's doing this and try to modulate his voice down and give others a chance to talk.

Courtney's mom, Peter acted in much the same way when he was 7. It'd kill me to see him drive away potential friends by getting loud and bossy! He's much better at that now, and really tries to be courteous. But it took time and work. Good luck with your daughter!

Thanks,

Margaret

Old 07-20-2003, 03:47 PM   #19
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    Hi all, I am glad to see so many replies.. We ahve been super busy here but wanted to check in.. Week 2 here and DS has gained about 4 pounds.. He has been taking the strattera at night before bedtime and wakes up ravenous... Big change from the adderall (even though he never lost weight on adderall he really didn't gain either) he is sleeping very peacefully at night and even sleeps in past SIX OCLOCK!!!!

The problems I still notice are.... stomachache.. but that could be b/c he is eating so much better that his body needs to get used to the different amount of food he is consuming..

He still is having social skill problems, and does not always react the way other children do in the same setting.. EX: bossy, too goofy at times and a little gross at others.. which would not seem to be a big deal but he he should know when he is about to cross the line but he seems to sense it and jump right over the social boundries anyway...

Anyway things are looking up and I am glad that I have a place to come to share.. Looking forward to hearing more pros and cons.... see ya!!

Old 07-20-2003, 04:17 PM   #20
    jboon
    (female)

jboon HB User
    My son is on 40 mg of Strattera WITH one 10mg morning dose of Ritalin. He just turned 11 and was on Concerta for 1 1/2 years. As with many of your children, he didn't gain any weight and rarely got to sleep before midnight. The Strattera does seem to help his impulsivity, appetite, sleep habits, and anxiety. It doesn't seem to do much for his ability to focus; that's why he takes the Ritalin too. My son's friendship situation has improved some recently--many ADHD kids don't seem to read social cues very well. He's not agressive, mean, or physical, but he can't seem to tell when people are getting irritated with something he's doing, or he'll keep doing something after someone has told him to stop. He's an awesome athlete, and I'd say that's helping him develop some friendships too. As someone else mentioned, I'm VERY concerned about the possibility of long term male side effects. If men are having sexual and prostate related problems while on Strattera, I wonder what the medication might do to boys entering puberty. I'm not sure what we'll do when school starts again. I may put him back on Concerta, but use a lower dose and combine it with Ritalin. We'll see.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:51 AM   #21
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    dear meckman, my 8 year old son has been on Strattera for about four months, this is his first med. He too has had lots of problems with friends. He's bright creative and desparately wanted friends but he drove them away. Mostly he was so impulsive and loud kids were put out by him. Strattera has really helped I see him now playing quietly giving and taking he's actually a really thoughtful kid if he gets the chance to think out his choices a little bit before acting on them, he still has lots of energy but it's channeled in an appropriate way. He is starting to seem really happy, his self esteem has taken a huge boost. He also got the best report card ever this last quarter and home life is much more happy (sibling rivalry continues to be a struggle for us any ideas on that would be helpful we have a 4 year old boy as well). Thanks for the great board

Old 07-21-2003, 11:16 AM   #22
    LittleD1981

LittleD1981 HB User
    I don't have any children, but I read through this post, and it's great to see all of the success that your children are having on Strattera. I'm 22 and on it as well, and it works great. And I really like that it's a non-stimulant.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:04 PM   #23
    vsp517

vsp517 HB User
    This is great information...thanks everyone for sharing. My son is 10 years old and has been on Strattera of 4 weeks, the first couple of weeks supplemented with Concerta until we were up to his target dose of 40 mg., but now he is off the Concerta. I have a call into his doctor today because I don't feel he is doing as well on the Strattera as he did on the Concerta. He also takes Seroquel in the evenings to help him relax and sleep and I was hoping with the Strattera that we could eventually eliminate his evening meds. My son seems to have a much harder time paying attention, and staying on task and focused with the Strattera and he is constantly talking and fidgeting. With the Concerta, the main concern was the impulsivity. Perhaps he will need to be on a both.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:36 PM   #24
    chiclet01

chiclet01 HB User
    why do parents take their keds OFF meds when out of school???..Can't understand that one at all...ADD does NOT go away because school is out and we don't take meds so school can HANDLE us or better grades...PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS>>>WE HAVE A DISEASE>>>HAS TO BE CONTROLLED NOT ONLY WITH MEDS, BUT BEHAVIOR MOD., COACHING, STRUCTURE, TEACHING ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS..ETC...Yes I am an adult, medical professional and I have ADD. I was diagnosed years and years ago..Thought I outgrew it until recently when,(due to back injury), I got addicted to Vicodin and went to Sierra Tucson and was rediagnosed with ADD...Never ever take them off once you start and have good results, especially with Straterra..It builds and takes awhile to reach peak, so when you stop you are basically starting all over agin, plus what can be accomplished in the summer or vacations when their ADD is running rampant because you took them off their meds...I hate drugs and am glad for Straterra, it has worked for me all the stimulants did was keep me up and INCREASED my ADD, which can happen..rethink taking them off the meds for vacations!!!!!

Old 07-23-2003, 01:54 PM   #25
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    week three just started and a few issues we have had to deal with, bossing his friends yesterday (they went home on their choice)antagonizing his sister till she was in tears, not following rules of the house.. all things that are normal but he carries them to extremes which at his age really should not be a issue except for his adhd....

he is doing reasonably well on strattera, sleeping, eating and if we could get this social issues under control life would be great!!! I like that it is a non stimulant.. we are continuing with family therapy because his issues effects all of us and thats going well too... One thing we have learned is telling him, the choice or decision you have made is leading us to make this decision to deal with you, it seems to be working b/c he is slowing down a tad bit b4 jumping headfirst w/o thinking of the consequence...

hopefully, the social graces will come soon because he is driving his friends away....so thats what we are working on now.. thanks for listening and sharing your story and life...

[This message has been edited by mommtothree (edited 07-23-2003).]

Old 07-25-2003, 07:14 AM   #26
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    Lightbulb

I moved the time we take the medicine back to about dinner time. I will let you guys know how it goes..

how many people are taking it at night time? And how many at breakfast? Just curious what is working better out there..... Thanks!

Old 07-25-2003, 02:11 PM   #27
    jboon
    (female)

jboon HB User
    Mommtothree,

Just curious, why doesn't your son take the Strattera in the morning?

Old 07-25-2003, 03:14 PM   #28
    mommtothree

mommtothree HB User
    Question

I was told by his Ped doc and the pharmacist b/c it causes sleepiness to give it to him at night...When does you child take it and do you see any "sleepy" symptons?

Old 07-25-2003, 03:20 PM   #29
    skeptikally

skeptikally HB User
    Angry

I've been reading the posts on this topic, and to be completely honest, I'm scared and disgusted by the general theme.

You're all making your kids sick with these drugs, I'm reading of stomach problems, sleep problems, weight loss, mood swings, etc...

Worse than that, you're making them feel that something is wrong with them in your eyes, no matter how much you try to sugar-coat it. They will see the truth.

How do you justify to your children what you're doing to them?

How do you explain it to them?

Do you care in the least how they feel about being socially stigmatized as flawed..., or only how their teachers and counselors feel about their "behavior problems?"

Why don't you just give your kids the love and attention they desire and desperately need, instead of making drug experiments out of them?

I wonder are the schools and health care officials FORCING you to harm your children in this way?

I'm sorry if I am upset about this topic. I was labelled ADD when I was about nine years old, and fought with the system for several years. I'm almost 30 now, and a father myself. I still have symptoms, and have never attempted to wash them away with medication.

Listen to me carefully now, I still hold a sizeable measure of enmity for both of my parents for the ordeal they put me through, and I've never fully been able to trust them again. They let the schools and psychologists intimidate them, when they knew it was the wrong thing to do, and tried to force me to take medication for ADD. I may have been hyper, or innatentive as a child, but I always held love and trust in my family.. until they broke it.

You don't know how alone a child feels when his parents turn against him.

It's far worse than any petty behavior problem.

My parents didn't see this.

Now they sit alone in their empty nest and wonder why I don't visit as often, or bring their granddaughter around as much as they would like. They still don't understand, after 20 years.

After all, they were only trying to help, right?

Is this how you want your kids to see you?

Please reconsider what you're doing to your kids, I know you're all posting here because you are somewhat troubled with guilt in the first place. I understand that you are all unsure if you're doing the right thing, ethically.

In this case guilt and uncertainty is justifiable.

There are more important things in the world than fitting into a school like a puzzle piece, or being the model perfect child.

Love your children for who they are, not for who society says they should be.

------------------
    SKEPTIKALLY---
    there's no such thing

Old 07-25-2003, 06:21 PM   #30
    skeptikally

skeptikally HB User
    This person sounds like one of those TV salesmen, only one who wants to sell drugs to your kids.

>why do parents take their keds OFF meds when out of >school???..Can't understand that one at all...

Because the school MAKES them put their kids on meds in the first place! Maybe they want to see their REAL CHILDREN again once in a while, not the puppet that the meds make them become!

>ADD does NOT go away because school is out and we >don't take meds so school can HANDLE us or better >grades...PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS>>>WE HAVE A >DISEASE>>>HAS TO BE CONTROLLED NOT ONLY WITH MEDS, >BUT BEHAVIOR MOD., COACHING, STRUCTURE, TEACHING >ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS..ETC.

Ever heard the one about how Holidays are events created by greeting card companies to make money?
    ADD is the creation of drug companies and doctors and schools, which is fed with laziness, not a real disease. That's just to make you feel better about what's being done to you.

>..Yes I am an adult, medical professional and I have >ADD. I was diagnosed years and years ago..Thought I >outgrew it until recently when,(due to back injury), >I got addicted to Vicodin and went to Sierra Tucson >and was rediagnosed with ADD...

And you just 'agreed' with the diagnoses?
    And went from one crutch to another?
    Good job. Real nice.... Might as well go back to the Vic, dude. Which fix was cheaper?

>Never ever take them off once you start and have good >results,

This is drug company, healthcare industry rhetoric, and there's not supposed to be free advertising on these boards.
    This is probably the scariest and most revealing part of your post. You said you were a healthcare professional, right?

Do the rest of you parents want your children to end up like this? This is what happens when you give up on yourself and your children.

Read the next "born again rant." Does it remind you of someone who just found a new crutch, with an almost religious fervor?

Witness the next example of the true power of these meds, they make everybody an EXPERT SPOKESPERSON!

Just look at this, and remember the phrase "true believer":

>especially with Straterra..It builds and takes awhile >to reach peak, so when you stop you are basically >starting all over agin, plus what can be accomplished >in the summer or vacations when their ADD is running >rampant because you took them off their meds...I hate >drugs and am glad for Straterra, it has worked for me >all the stimulants did was keep me up and INCREASED >my ADD, which can happen..rethink taking them off the >meds for vacations!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

Better yet, "used car salesman."
    Plus, folks! REMEMBER that straterra is STILL UNDER PATENT, and the drug company makes insane amounts of money that they just don't make with Ritalin anymore,
    so it MUST be better!

(Chemical companies do this a lot, as DuPont did with the Freon in your air conditioners. Once their exclusive patent (for freon) ran out, and anybody was allowed to synthesize and sell it, they then revealed that it was possibly harmful to the ozone layer, allowing them to come up with a NEW freon, again under an exclusive patent, which was SO MUCH BETTER AND SAFER than the old freon, which they themselves lobbied to make illegal to produce. It's just a dirty business trick.)

Straterra is just the new freon.

ADD is a business creation, at best an excuse for bad behavior in a new non-punishment world, don't let the doctors push this on your family.

Their next step is going to be to coerce you to keep your kids doped all summer, maybe even making you legally responsible for keeping up the medication.

You will soon be labeled a negligent or abusive parent if you don't follow their instructions, and keep the medication up (but as long as you keep buying it, they might leave your family alone.)

I'm sure many of you are getting this pressure already.
    Please bow to it.
    Let them tell you how to parent, while you're at it.

------------------
    SKEPTIKALLY---
    there's no such thing

[This message has been edited by skeptikally (edited 07-25-2003).]

Closed Thread