It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• New to Asthma, someone help, please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
    kenanali
    (male)

kenanali HB User
    Re: New to Asthma, someone help, please

GERD / Heart burn isn't something I've explored yet. It happens to me like once every couple of months. Will discuss with my doctor...

Right now this is ridiculous though, because I can't stop my Prednisone taper, and I don't know what my doc is going to tell me to do if all my pollen-induced symptoms start coming back...

Lifestyle-wise my beer/alcohol intake has increased drastically, which could be contributing to the the heartburn/acid reflux. Moving to NY has been the best thing that happened to me and the worst thing, ha.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I think also that you really need to get the allergies under control. Ditch the clarinex and try zyrtec or allegra or claritin. You can take 2 a day of the zyrtec (1 AM and 1 PM) for a few days to get things under control and then go to 1 per day.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
    kenanali
    (male)

kenanali HB User

Clarinex and Claritin don't really do much for me. Will try Zyrtec for a week starting tomorrow.

Also taking singular which has helped actually, but still get stuffy etc when I'm outdoors.

Could it be that anti-histamines just aren't strong enough for my crazy-extreme allergic response to Pollen?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The antihistamines should help, even if they don't relieve your symptoms 100%. Claritin and clarinex are the weakest ones, though.

Switch to a stronger one. You SHOULD get some benefits right away, but because your allergies are so flared up right now, it might take a week or two for it to take full effect.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    kenanali (05-15-2012)
    Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
    kenanali
    (male)

kenanali HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    The antihistamines should help, even if they don't relieve your symptoms 100%. Claritin and clarinex are the weakest ones, though.

Switch to a stronger one. You SHOULD get some benefits right away, but because your allergies are so flared up right now, it might take a week or two for it to take full effect.
    I'm going to try Allegra and Zyrtec. How long do you think I should give each med before I try the next one? A day, a week?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Give it at least a week, unless it causes side effects you really can't bear.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    kenanali (05-15-2012)
    Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
    MeezerWheezer
    (female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Welcome to the asthma club! I feel your pain. I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with adult onset asthma this past September. I was an anxious mess desperate for answers. I had a bad case of bronchitis and starting having asthma attacks. Getting a respiratory infection like that is a big asthma trigger for me. I also have allergies to animals, dust and mold.

After being diagnosed with asthma I was put on Flovent. I also take Allegra and Singulair. To be honest, it took a few months for things to settle down for me. My lungs were so irritated from the bronchitis and then I got it again in December. Finally in January I was under control. It's a journey. My advice would be to take it day by day. I was getting so down every time I had an attack. If you're not already seeing a Pulmonologist, get one and develop a good relationship with them. Also develop a good relationship with an Allergist.

I have starting getting allergy shots, treating my occasional acid reflux and I take my asthma meds religiously. I am down to a couple attacks a month, usually if I am around a lot of animals or cigarette smoke.

As far as anxiety vs. asthma, I found a peak flow meter to be helpful. I was so anxious about my asthma that I was getting tight from my anxiety. I started taking my peak flow every day to get my normal range so I could help determine the difference. Now I don't need to, because that helped me be able to tell the difference on my own.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
    sue430
    (female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

Just a thought since you said you just moved to NY. Do you live in the city? I'm just thinking that since you very recently tested negative to pollen, maybe you are reacting to irritants in the outdoor air instead? Like pollution or something like that? Also I'm sure that you know that you need to not smoke & to avoid smoke as much as you can. Also the weather an be an irritant. Many people react badly to certain weather conditions. For me, dry air bothers me, as does cool humid air. Many asthmatics are bothered by hot humid air (not me though). Whatever it is will bother you less once you get your asthma under control though. Also re: Gerd: you can still have it even when you are not feeling heartburn & a large number of asthmatics have both for whatever reason. Worth getting checked out, or buy some otc prilosec & take it for a couple of weeks to see if your symptoms get better. It can definitely make your asthma symptoms worse.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
    kenanali
    (male)

kenanali HB User

I'm rushing to see my Pulmo tomorrow. Getting wheezy and chest tightness even while on 30mg of Prednisone... Don't know whats going on with me...

I did a 10mg / 4 day taper as suggested by my pulmo but I think I may have come off the 60 mg prematurely...

Old 05-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #25
    kenanali
    (male)

kenanali HB User

Anyone taking Symbicort, Spiriva and Singulair + anti-histamine?

My doc had me on Prednisone because I had a bad Asthma patch, but it's calming down now. She wants me off the Prednisone and wants to replace it with other drugs if possible.

I know that Spiriva is for COPD mainly, but it works the same way by preventing smooth muscle spasms in your lungs...

Has anyone with Asthma been on Spiriva? Has it helped?

I don't want to start it, because I don't want to become dependent on it, the way I have become dependent on my Symbicort...

Old 05-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Kenanali: You need to understand something. There is no cure for asthma. You are always, always going to be dependent on some form of medication. So please, if you are thinking that you will eventually wean off everything, you are mistaken. I would add in the spiriva and see what happens. If ti helps, then great. If not, drop it. I know you are very nervous about all this but you will get it all sorted out and all will be fine. Just hang in.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou is right. Don't be afraid of the medicine. With some conditions, such as chronic pain, it may be best to control it with as little medicine as possible for as long as possible.

With asthma, it's better to hit hard, with everything it takes to get the disease under control. Most of the medicines don't cause dependency, instead, the more you take them, the better they work. Certainly, pursue lifestyle measures, good nutrition, and avoid triggers, but use the drugs, because they do work.

I'm now on fewer medicines than I was when first diagnosed, but I still take Flovent twice a day and I probably always will, unless something better is invented in the future. During flares, I switch to Symbicort.

With my medications, I'm very close to normal. Since the start of this year, there has been one day where asthma limited my activity and about five days where it bothered me noticeably. That's all.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #28
    Kaji
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

If the med doesn't help, you can always try something else... you're not dependant on the symbicort just because you started taking it - your lungs are being badly affected by something and it helps you to breathe. If things go well for you you may be able to cut back on meds and come off some altogether, but asthma is forever - all that varies is how bad/obvious it is at this particular time. If I'm lucky I'll never have another flare-up like the one I've had now, but my lungs are always going to be vulnerable...

Closed Thread