It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Calling all Moms of younger kids on Strattera......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2003, 08:43 AM   #76
    3BLESSINGS

3BLESSINGS HB User
    Lightbulb

THANKS FOR THE POSTS FIREBUG & BILL...
    BUT WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE ME ABOUT THE STOMACH ACHES?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 08:50 AM   #77
    3BLESSINGS

3BLESSINGS HB User
    Question

SINCE SCHOOL HAS STARTED I AM FACING A DILEMMA, SHOULD I TELL MY SONS TEACHER ABOUT HIM HAVING ADD?
    I'M AFRAID THAT THE SCHOOL WILL TRY TO LABEL HIM & PLACE HIM IN A SPECIAL CLASS...WHICH I KNOW THAT IS NOT WHAT HE NEEDS...
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOUND ADVICE,PLEASE!!!

Old 09-02-2003, 08:57 AM   #78
    Susi
    Inactive

Susi HB User
    How old is your son and what grade is he in? Did you just move to a new school and how was his ADD handled in his previous school and how was he doing with nobody knowing about it? It does not mean that he will be placed in a special ed class, instead they can accommodate him with things (i.e. reduced spelling words, untimed testing etc.). If he does not struggle at all, I would probably not say anything, but if he does, then I would get him all the help he can possibly have. It's in your son's best interest.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:04 AM   #79
    3BLESSINGS

3BLESSINGS HB User
    THANK-YOU SUSI FOR THE ADVICE...MY SON IS 10 AND HE'S IN THE 5TH GRADE..HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ADD THE END OF LAST SCHOOL YEAR AROUND 6/2003..HE HAS ALWAYS HAD PROBLEMS WITH SCHOOL AND AT HOME BUT IT WAS'NT UNTIL I HAD A SECOND DOCTOR'S OPPINION THAT I DECIDED TO GET HIM THE HELP THAT HE NEEDS AS FAR AS TUTORING,& SPENDING MORE TIME WITH HIM STUDYING,BUT HE WOULD NOT STAY FOCUSED..THE DR. SUGGESTED MEDS..IN THE VERY BEGINNING, BUT I FELT AT THE TIME I COULD HELP MY CHILD WITHOUT USING MEDS..BUT NO MATTER HOW PATIENT I WAS WITH HIM,I COULD NOT HOLD HIS ATTENTION FOR 5 MINUTES...HE HAS BEEN ON STRATERRA SINCE 8/21/2003 4OMG..TAKEN IN THE MORNING..I HAVE SEEN SOME CHANGE..HE'S A LITTLE MORE FOCSUED,ALTHOUGH HE STILL GETS FRUSTRATED VERY EASILY..BUT I GUESS HIS BODY IS STILL ADJUSTING..

Old 09-04-2003, 05:38 AM   #80
    meckman

meckman HB User
    Hi, everyone.

I've been reading the post on Strattera with great interest. I've ended up taking my 11 year old off Strattera after about 2-plus months. It seemed to control symptoms less and less well as time went on, and my son would have periods of being completely unreasonable--either crying or anger--in the mornings after taking the Strattera. They wouldn't occur every day, but frequently enough to be very disturbing. Also, he returned to having trouble sleeping and lost his appetite again; he's still only 60 pounds. His doctor said he's seeing several children with side effects to the Strattera, although he says it's still effective for about half of the kids who try it.

We've switched to Concerta. My son is currently on 18 mg and will be going up to 36 mg tomorrow. It seems better than the Strattera, and doesn't seem to be interfering with sleep and appetite as much as Adderall. Have others had experience with switching to Concerta?

Also, some of the social issues are still there. My son is getting better with other kids, but at lunch when he sat with kids--including one of his good friends--they moved away from him, most likely because there was one kid in the group who thinks my son is annoying, so he moved and the others followed him. It just kills me to think of him being abandoned like that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

meckman

Old 09-04-2003, 07:51 AM   #81
    lovemyboys

lovemyboys HB User
    Hi everyone! I am new to this board but not new to ADHD. So a little intro, I will be coming back here often...

I have a newborn boy (hopefully no issues will arise there!) and a wonderful, talented 7 y/o boy, 2nd grade. Was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago, tried everything before meds. Started meds Jan '03 with Adderal, 10 mg 1x day at 645am. Crashed about noon. However, while meds were in system, his symptoms were much improved. (Crashing resulted in Emotional, crying, tantrums). Three weeks ago (Mid August '03) switched to 10 mg adderall XR. I think the dosage is too low...he is having major issues at school, ATTITUDE IS AWFUL!!! Is downright MEAN to me, smarts off and yells and blames me for things like his socks being all balled up after he took them off and then tried to put them back on. Pardon my french, but he is like hell on wheels now.

I spoke with his psychologist,...he reccommends we talk to the MD about Strattera. (not an uppoer, lower reported crash effects, no insomnia and greater appetite.) I have appt. with MD today. Wish me luck. I am going to share what the pscholo. recommended. Oh, and also my son also misses the social cues....loud, bossy, does not know how to make and keep friends, although we are constantly working on those skills with him....must be common in ADHD kiddos, and perhaps adults too, sometimes.

SO, my question.... did anyone experience any trouble switching? (Or maybe do we need to up the dosage a tad instead of switching?) I just want to be prepared emotionally MYSELF so I can help him handle the change. I guess I'm going to have to write off his behavior for about the 1st week or so until he gets used to it too? Poor kid. I hate it for him but I hope we can find something that helps him find success! So, any advice on what to expect with the switch? (Sorry for the short story but long....)

Carolyn

Old 09-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #82
    firebug31

firebug31 HB User
    3blessings
    Our situations are so much alike. My son was diagnosed same time at end school year. I asked the psychologist the same question you pose becuase I was afraid that if we advised his new teacher of ADHD she would then sterotype him. The psych concurred, he said give it about 4 to 6 weeks this way the teacher has an opportunity to get to know all of the personalities and we will get a better eval from her. He said hopefully it will go 4 to 6 weeks and she does not come to us! with problems. I do plan on setting up a conference mid to late SEptember since school started August 14th. I feel strongly with having the teacher a part of the theraphy because lets face it the teacher is our best tool to monitor meds and behavior because they spend more structured time with our kids than we do!

hope that helps

Old 09-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #83
    beckstar

beckstar HB User
    meckman,
    We are in your situation with the straterra/concerta switch. I am sure that the Straterra works for some, I don't doubt it, but the ones that it doesn't work for seems to be extreme with the side effects and behavior issues and physically dangerous in my opinion. My son had a total loss of appetite, extreme weight loss and constipation. It only affected the ADHD by sedating him and the moods were unpredictable.I kept him on it for a month because most people were saying "don't give up the first week, you have to give it time". We have switched to 36 mg of Concerta, and so far it seems to be minimal on the physical side effects and I can see some slight positive changes already.
    I can see from the message boards that Straterra is unpredictable on the physical aspects. Some even reported an increase in appetite. It is always helpful to keep up with each child and parent's progress.
    Thanks everyone........

Old 09-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #84
    firebug31

firebug31 HB User
    Meckman,

My son was on concerta and switched to Strattera, It takes several weeks for the body to adjust to strattera in his case. He has finally gotten over the sleepyness. If your son is experiencing his friends moving away from him you should be cognasant of tics that he may have started. My son started tics horribally bad with concerta. Many postings support that the concerta seems to bring them out. If he has any verbal tics this can be very irritating and would explain the friends moving away from him. If he has developed tics it's also important to know that no matter how hard he tries or how hard you try to stop them he can't do it other than stopping the med.

Lovemyboys

We did not have any problems switching meds from concerta to Strattera and made the switch virtually over night. I would cunsult with your doc on that though. The other thing to check with your child I am taking ADderal XR and it has been giving me dizzy sensation especially lying down and getting up. This sounds like a postural condition but upon stopping the med it went away. I am going to start it again only at 5 mg to see if I get the same side effect. I would be careful uping the dose and again bring these concerns to your doc.

Old 09-05-2003, 10:25 AM   #85
    3BLESSINGS

3BLESSINGS HB User
    Wink

Thank-you for your post firebug...It has been helpful,
    I'm going to set a conference with his teacher to see how things will go..I did stop in his class at the end of the day and ask the teacher hoe he was doing,and she made my day..she said "I wish I had more students like your son he's so polite and helpful in the class...I'm thinking what she has the wrong child, but she called him out by name,and my son just loves her..maybe the teacher's personality plays a big part on our kids and how they maintain throughout the day...
    although my son still complains about stomach aches..Is there anything special I did to give him?or will they go away after being on the meds for so long?
    I want to thank everyone on this page for all the infomation that you all share,I'ts made this somewhat easier..THANK_YOU!!!

------------------
    FAITH IS WHAT TAKES A CHAMPION TO THE FINISH LINE!

Old 09-05-2003, 02:10 PM   #86
    McButter3

McButter3 HB User
    3Blessings,

My doctor told me that Strattera taken with peanut butter seems to help with the stomach aches. My daughter eats a spoon of it with her pill. I know grose but it works. I told her also to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm actually glad she is eating the peanut butter, it's fatting! She is so skinny-all the other meds.

Also I was told to take the pill at night after a big meal. If it makes them tired, another side effect they will be in bed sooner! I thought I would pass along what my doctor suggested. So far so good for us. None of the big afternoon crash from all the other meds. She seems happy and finally acting close to her age.

Good Luck

Old 09-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #87
    BREITWOMAN

BREITWOMAN HB User
    My son is 10, he weighs 60 lbs and has been on Strattera for three months. We tried giving it to him in the morning but he'd fall asleep in school. Then we gave it to him at night and he wakes up at 3 am and can't go back to sleep. He started on the 40mg and his doctor backed it off to 18mg twice a day. I don't think he is concentrating any better than he did when he was taking Adderal.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:53 PM   #88
    pennyscreations

pennyscreations HB User
    My 7 yr old son started Straterra 6 weeks ago. At first everything was great and he talked to me like a would assume a normal child would. But for the last 4 weeks he cries every morning going to school and continues to cry on and off throughout the day. He has also developed some symptoms of what I would call OCD. He was on 40 mg and I thought the dose might be too much. His doctor put him back on 25mg. He is still crying, not as bad. Last week I got real upset and told him we were not taking it anymore. He did not take it the next day. When he got home he told me he wanted to take that medicine it made him feel like other kids and it had nothing to do with his crying, he just did not like school.

We are now on 25 mg and he still crys some but he is doing great on his work. The school and his teacher are working great with me. He is not hyper just attention problems so I do not have to deal with the behavior problems.

Does anyone else have these symptoms.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:25 AM   #89
    meckman

meckman HB User
    Firebug and beckstar, thanks for your thoughts. I'll keep an eyeout for tics. I have noticed my son picking at his lip a lot, but otherwise the Concerta is working a lot better for him than the Strattera, and he's sleeping and eating pretty well.

Beckstar, my son is only on 18 mg of Concerta. We tried for a day to do 36 mg (which was supposed to be the target dose), but he seemed drugged all day--*no* energy--and had trouble sleeping that night, so we dropped back to 18. The doctor was surprised such a low dose was effective, but said to stick with the lower dose.

Thanks,

meckman

Old 09-18-2003, 09:15 AM   #90
    Austin's Mommy

Austin's Mommy HB User
    Hello All,

I have been reading the posts here for about an hour, and I am scared to death. My seven year old was diagnosed ADD - Inattentive Type in May, and he also tested gifted. Since he was four, he has been unfocused, forgetful, slow-paced, and socially inept. His teachers say he doesn't pay attention, yet he always gets excellent academic marks. They say these behaviors will turn into habits which will catch up to him as courses get harder and lectures enter the picture. Though they don't suggest medication, I know they think something needs to be done to keep him from falling through the cracks.

I've already been called in to a conference this year, and I heard more of the same. I see the same behaviors at home, and I can't deny them any longer, yet I detest the ADD label. I'd like to know how much of these behaviors has to do with giftedness. Austin is not hyperactive or impulsive. His mind does go a mile a minute and he seems to be much more comfortable around adults than kids. We've had social problems almost identical to what meckman describes. We've tried rewards, incentives, punishments, charts, stickers, all kinds of things for two years now. None of them help to change his behavior permanantly and they barely work in the moment.

It's gotten to the point where it's hard to get him functioning at school and at home. I find that I have to either nag him constantly or do more things for him than I should. I can count on my four year old to get himself ready in the morning more than I can count on Austin. I have to think that the nagging and negative attention he receives has to be affecting his esteem level.

After talking to his teacher, I picked up a starter pack of Strattera from our pediatrician, and I've been staring at it for three days. The potential side effects scare me to death, and I hate the idea of drugging him so that he'll conform more easily into society. Yet I know he will continue to be isolated and even ostracized by society if he continues down this path.

Our pediatrician has told me that Strattera works best in kids who are only inattentive, not hyperactive or impulsive. Has this been any of your experiences? I want to do what is best for Austin, but I don't know what that is right!!! HELP!!

Closed Thread