It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Tightness/dizziness/loss of appetite...anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
    Twloha
    (female)

Twloha HB User
    Tightness/dizziness/loss of appetite...anxiety?

Let me start by saying that I've always been a worrier but I've never really had any health issues because of it. Until recently I'd only had one severe panic episode and that was about 5 years ago.

Last week my left ear got clogged. For some reason, this made me extremely nervous and I was stressed to the max. After a few days it got better and I was feeling good, for a few hours at least. Later that evening I began to feel pressure in my right ear as well and that brought back the anxiety. I flushed it out and I was feeling better but on the back burner I was worried that the feeling would return. I was in bed trying to sleep when suddenly I got this odd pain near my sternum. It was a burning sensation. I calmly breathed my way through it and it pushed its way into my stomach and I got chills. Afterward, I thought I felt ok. I tried to doze off but every time I'd get on the verge of sleep I'd get very dizzy and snap awake. I also began feeling slight numbness in my left cheek. This happened several times but I took half a Xanax and was able to sleep through the night.

About the appetite loss, I haven't eaten much since the whole thing began. It started because the pressure in my ear was worse when I chewed but now I just don't have much appetite. That might be normal.

I went to the doctor the next day. By then I was feeling tightness in my face, head and neck. He gave me a shot, turned off the lights, and made me lay there for 20 minutes. I felt almost normal. He also gave me meds for the dizziness and an anti-depressant that would help me sleep.

That was Monday and it's currently Thursday. My symptoms havent subsided though at times I feel kind of ok and sometimes the pressure is bad. The pressure is mostly on my left side and my ears still feel pressure like they're slightly clogged. I get lots of pressure between my eyes and around my nose. I'm doing my best not to worry but I've never felt this before. Is this a common problem with anxiety? Does it eventually go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
    Re: Tightness/dizziness/loss of appetite...anxiety?

Hi Welcome to the health boards!
    I hope the wanted support is found.

Perhaps I would want my eye, ear, nose throat doctor to take a look in my ear to see if anything like a ball of wax can be seen.
    I would drink lots of water and then wait one half hour and lay the head on one side opposite the side of the pressure for a half hour to an hour and if both sides were involved do the other side the same way.

If problems continue I might want a good MRI to see if there is anything impinging on important structures, or disease changes going on.

Also I would avoid sugar like the plague. Sugar has been known to cause dizziness, anxiety, panic and to feed the candida that puts out the toxin that sometimes causes a problem in the first place. Sometimes ear disorders cause dizziness. I think personally I would also want to use more, lemons, grapefruit, kiwis, garlic, onions and bay leaf tea and plenty of walking and water drinking just in case there was an inner ear infection.

Sometimes a charcoal poultice can help remove toxins. It should not be used at the same time antibiotics are used because it will adsorb any medicines put in the body. Poultices can be used before an antibiotic course is started or after the 10 day to 2 weeks are over. I would put 2 Tablespoons of charcoal with 2 Tablespoons flax seed and simmer it with water. When it is cooled to about 100 degrees it is placed as a paste onto a paper towel to within one inch of the border of the paper towel, folded over an placed on top of the affected ear (not inside).
    I would not get any of this on the linens or clothes as it will not come out.

Some people use antibiotics from the doctor for these, others are senstive to the antibiotics and can't use them for one reason or another and antibiotics have been known to give people more trouble with Candida yeast infection.

Did the doctor look in the ear?

sjb

Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Twloha,
    It sounds to me like you might have an infection in your Sinuses. Ears/Nose Throat/ are all connected.
    I had similar many years ago and with the pressure sensation in my ears I felt really unwell and my nose and throat became affected as well.
    Try an Antihistamine from your Chemist or a Decongestant Nasal Spray for a few days to see if that might help.
    Obviously your symptoms are worrying you so you should continue with the Anxiety medication for the time being, but it really sounds to me like a E.N.T problem. If no improvement you should go back to your Dr. Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
    Twloha
    (female)

Twloha HB User

My doctor checked my ears and said they looked good. I've had many sinus infections and this feels completely different. He did check for it anyway and determined that there's no infection. Like I said, after the shot I felt almost completely normal. So far today, I haven't had any severe tightness. I've just been trying to keep my mind off of it. Im just worried that this is going to be a lasting condition.

The following user gives a hug of support to Twloha:
    sjb (06-07-2012)
    Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
    Twloha
    (female)

Twloha HB User

Well, it's been a few weeks since my symptoms started. It started on a Sunday night and by the following Friday, I was feeling almost normal. I went an entire week without any symptoms. My doctor had given me Visteral (25 mg) to take as needed and most days I didn't need them. Saturday night I woke up suddenly in a panic but I had a clear mind. I took 2 pills and after about an hour I was able to sleep. I slept almost all day on Sunday but when I did get up the anxiety was there. I also started my period that day. The next day wasn't as tough. Tuesday, Wednesday, and today I've been able to go all day without meds. I have fairly severe pain in my neck and shoulders but I do have bulging disks and bone spurs on my left side which is where it's most painful. My doctor thinks that that pain is caused by my tense muscles putting pressure on those injuries.

I have this new habit of tensing my jaw. Yesterday it caused throat numbness and tightness that subsided but now I'm feeling pressure in my chest, similar to gas. It feels like I need to burp but can't. The pharmacist recommended Gas-X. I took that a few hours ago but the pressure is still there. It's mildly painful but I haven't had any sharp pains at this point.

I'm wondering if my tense neck and back could be causing this? Could the rush of hormones have caused my panic? I'm normally a little irritable during but nothing like this before.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
    Twloha
    (female)

Twloha HB User

Aaaaand now it's beginning to hurt a little, almost like the pain you have the day after you've thrown up a lot. It hurts a little to take a deep breath but I'm not having breathing difficulty.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, dizziness, tightness in neck