It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Lab result questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
    Morse2012
    (female)

Morse2012 HB User
    Exclamation Lab result questions

Hi all! I am new here and so happy to of found this site today.
    I need help with lab results. I am most concerned with my Ferritin and Iron levels.

I have been feeling really awful despite being in the best shape of my life with exercising and watching calories. I have had some blood work done and got the results today in the mail but have not heard from my NP yet.

The numbers seem low but I really do not know what will be done if anything. Any advice or input would really be appreciated! :-)

I have had a blood transfusion in the past because of low iron but I am not aware of what those numbers where.

Here are my numbers today. Again thank you so much for any help.

Ferritin @ 4.4
    Iron @ 22
    Hemoglobin @ 11
    MCV @ 74
    MCH @ 22.7
    MCHC @ 30.7
    RDW-SD @ 50.6 H
    RDW-CV @ 19.2 H

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Lab result questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morse2012 View Post
    Hi all! I am new here and so happy to of found this site today.
    I need help with lab results. I am most concerned with my Ferritin and Iron levels.

I have been feeling really awful despite being in the best shape of my life with exercising and watching calories. I have had some blood work done and got the results today in the mail but have not heard from my NP yet.

The numbers seem low but I really do not know what will be done if anything. Any advice or input would really be appreciated! :-)

I have had a blood transfusion in the past because of low iron but I am not aware of what those numbers where.

Here are my numbers today. Again thank you so much for any help.

Ferritin @ 4.4
    Iron @ 22
    Hemoglobin @ 11
    MCV @ 74
    MCH @ 22.7
    MCHC @ 30.7
    RDW-SD @ 50.6 H
    RDW-CV @ 19.2 H
    Your numbers are low. Normal for ferritin are between 10-204 and iron are 37-170 (this according to my lab) as others have pointed out here every lab can differ a bit with what their levels of normal are.

I am sure this is why you are feeling crappy at a ferritin of 2 I was barely able to walk up the stairs. As far as treatment goes that depends on your Dr. do you know of the underlying cause for the anemia? I can't say for sure what your Dr. will do but most Dr's will want to find the cause and put you on some iron or send you to a hematologist for iron infusions (depending on the severity) to get these numbers back up.

Your hemoglobin is still in the normal range which is a good thing, it should help you avoid a blood transfusion. What was your hemocrit?

While you are waiting to hear from your Dr. you might as well start eating some iron enriched foods!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
    Morse2012
    (female)

Morse2012 HB User

Thank you for writing!

My hemocrit is 35.8 which according to my lab is just in the low normal range.

I do not know the reason why they are low. I had gastric bypass surgery 12 years ago but I have dealth with low iron anemia as a child before the surgery. I'm at a loss but I so badly want energy back. :-(

Hoping this is fixed soon. lol

Last edited by Morse2012; 07-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I feel your pain. Well when I first got diagnosed I read these forums up and down and it doesn't seem uncommon for people that have gastric bypass to have anemia. Mine hasn't been diagnosed yet (no insurance) but my Dr. has a pretty good idea of why. I have heavy heavy cycles.

Your hemocrit isn't to bad either, seems you have caught it at a good time! I'm sure with iron supps/infusion or whatever route the Dr's decide to go you should be back up on your feet in no time.

The only thing that I worry about is the ferritin because like I said when mine was the low (it still is low I think 27 now), I couldn't do much and it seems like such a hard thing to get back up.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 07-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
    KierraC
    (female)

KierraC HB User

I have found I'm anemic and my vit d was also very low. While researching, I came across a number of pointed articles that indicate that the procedure used to effect gastric bypass surgery also causes anemia because the nutrients are not absorbed properly by the body since that process of going through the normal stomach digestive system is altered. You will likely feel better once they get your shortages corrected - you may always need to get them via other means rather than through eating supplements. Best wishes.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anemia, ferritin, iron