It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• post lasik uneven undercorrection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
    bbobs1000zx
    (male)

bbobs1000zx HB User
    post lasik uneven undercorrection

First of all I want to say that overall I'm very happy with my decision to have lasik, and I believe the one issue I'm on here to ask about will at worst clear up with an enhancement.

Tomorrow is my one week post-op appt after having custom (wavefront) lasik. The basics about me, prior to the procedure my prescription was -5.5 right -5.75 left, both approx 20/400, I am 30, in excellent health, and my vision was stable. After the procedure, and for the week since, my vision has been 20/20 in my right eye and 20/60 in my left (at best, as the dr stopped on the 20/50 line even though I stated I could not clearly see it at the 1 day post op).

I see halos, but they do not significantly detract from my vision, and overall my night vision is better than before the procedure, and no worse than my vision in daylight. I have no other significant side effects (my eyes have always been dry, and they are no worse after lasik than before.)

In the one day follow up I was told (by a dr) that it is possible to "heal" to 20/20, but I have personally talked to several friends and family who have had lasik, as well as searching the internet before and after the surgery, and have not found anyone who was that far off in only one eye post surgery. In case you're wondering, the problem is I have two different sight pictures with that much of a split in VA, and my left eye is constantly straining trying to focus on what my right can see clearly. I already have excellent clarity considering the visual acuity in each eye.

A wavefront scan was taken during the consult along with 2 projected eyechart visual acuity (VA) tests (taken by 2 different surgeons). Pre surgery a wafefront scan and another visual acuity test was taken by regular staff. In each of the acuity checks I was somewhat rushed on the left eye rather than allowing me to test until I had perfect clarity, but I was assured that only the wavefront scan is used for the surgical correction, and the VA tests are only for showing a baseline. So question #1 is: is that true, or is it possible that incorrect VA test information was used in my surgery?

Question #2 From firsthand experience, or by directing me to someone with firsthand experience, how many people here have had a split in visual acuity similar to mine (20/20 or better in one 20/40 or worse in the other) and how long did it take to clear up (if it did at all, with or without an enhancement). I realize this will be a limited number on this one forum, but please no general statistics or secondhand information, unless it is a link to a legit informational website with good sources.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of that. I will probably have more questions based on responses. I want to stress again that I can see the possibilities of lasik based on my good eye, and I would definitely not discourage anyone based on the single negative aspect of my surgery (which is correctable one way or another).

The Following User Says Thank You to bbobs1000zx For This Useful Post:
    mgl11 (07-16-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
    bbobs1000zx
    (male)

bbobs1000zx HB User
    Re: post lasik uneven undercorrection

I was definitely hoping for more activity on this forum, as I haven't found a more active Eye Surgery message board yet, but although I haven't received any responses yet, I'm still looking for information. In the meantime, here is an update.

I have had 3 follow up appt.'s since my initial post. To summarize, in appt. #1 the same Dr. who did my 1 day post op repeated that my eyes would heal to 20/20 and aggressively stated that my left eye went from 20/50 to 20/30 already, that the data prior to surgery was correct, and that I should only ask the surgeon questions because the techs aren't qualified... she must have been having a bad day lol. I tested 20/50 with 2 different optometrists offices after the appt. on that same day.

Appt. #2 had a different dr. at my request who did retest at 20/50 and wanted to have the surgeon look at some minor debris under the flap of my left eye.

Appt. #3 was with the surgeon who concluded the debris (natural oils under the flap) should clear up and shouldn't be the factor affecting my visual acuity. He seemed very interested in helping me and making sure I am happy, and I feel sure that he is feeling pressure based on what happened in the 1st appt. That being said, he told me that my left eye still has astigmatism which is the cause of the 20/50 vision, but that the astigmatism has seemed to decrease (even though I have no noticeable difference in vision? I'm still doubtful about that). He also assured me that my eyes are definitely healthy enough for a second surgery to correct my left eye.

At this point I believe it is very likely that I will need that second surgery. The difference in vision is still noticeable all the time, but I feel less eye strain because of it. That is a positive and a negative, as it helps me now, but when the brain has to adjust so much to create a proper image for so long, it will likely take time to adjust to even vision again after the second surgery. The surgeon reinforced that fact. My eyes tend to be from very dry to severely dry first thing after waking up from a full night sleep, but no more dry than before the surgery the rest of the day and night.

I hope this helps others out there, and I hope to find a way to make real and unbiased information on eye surgery easier for everyone to locate in the future.

Closed Thread