It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Hemoglobin/Gastric Bypass

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
    dsnowell
    (female)

dsnowell HB User
    Low Hemoglobin/Gastric Bypass

I have read several post concerning low hemoglobin count due to gastric bypass. Many of these were posted in 2008. I am curious to know if any new information has surfaced since that time? Any new information......looking for natural alternatives! Please, please, please help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Low Hemoglobin/Gastric Bypass

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you looking for natural alternatives to gastric bypass? Or do you now have anemia as a result of gastric bypass, and you're looking for natural treatments there?

The only natural treatment for anemia is to eat food that is high in nutrients. Other treatments include iron supplements, and, in severe cases, infusion. Lightly cooked green veggies and lean meats are god sources of iron.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
    dsnowell
    (female)

dsnowell HB User

I am sorry that I didn't make myself very clear! I had the gastric bypass in 1998. As I have studied and reviewed the information, several people who had the RNY Gastric Bypass are experiencing the same symptoms of extreme anemia. The nature of the operation eliminates the bodies ability to absorb iron when taken orally. There in lies the problem. I have an extremely "clean" diet. I do not eat any dairy, meat, processed foods, and nor any refined sugars. I eat completely plant based nutrition. I just recently have been experiencing severe bouts of Restless Leg Syndrome.....I have had this for YEARS, but in the last couple months, it has become unbearable. I am searching this Message board to find others that have experienced the same side effects from the surgery and have found safe solutions. As I have researched the iron infusion treatments, I want to run for the hills! I have an extremely sensitive system and worry that the infusion treatments would be too harsh. Please feel free to share anything you are aware of. I have been using a sub-lingual iron supplement for years and it seemed to do the trick until I donated blood about 6 months ago. Since then, everything has gone down hill.
    Thanks,
    Dixie

Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
    Dunedin
    (female)

Dunedin HB User

Gastric Bypass & Iron - I suffer too, just had my 1st iron infusion, soo bloated but my bowles are pretty normal. I had the surgery in 2002.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
    dsnowell
    (female)

dsnowell HB User

Did your doctor ever put you on Trinsicon? I used that for quite a few years and for one reason or another quit using it......big mistake. Same with the B12 shots. I just started those again yesterday. Waiting for the results of my bloodwork before I decide where I go next to rebuild my iron.

Closed Thread