It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Middle Age ADD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2003, 04:27 AM   #16
    Kista

Kista HB User

I am 43 yrs old. I've spent many nights trying to figure out "what's wrong with me? what's wrong with me?"
    I was in a bookstore, making my way to the back wall when I saw a picture on the cover of a book. I stopped because THAT'S ME!! It was a head that portrayed a mind filled with scribbles, lightening bolts, colors etc. I started reading about ADD and I was so overcome by emotions that I started crying.

I think my life could have been much different had i learned about this sooner. I'm hoping to catch up now.
    I want to be like everyone else for once, instead of looking like a cartoon character.

I've also been diagnosed with severe post traumatic stress syn. as well as depression. I'm not sure how it will pan out, but at least I know what has caused so many problems in my life.

wish me luck. it's good to know i'm not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 01:40 PM   #17
    strattercaster

strattercaster HB User
    Thumbs up

Kista - I sure do wish you luck! More importantly, let me assure you that things can get better. I was diagnosed at 48, following my wife's observation that I was showing some "classic" symptoms. (She's an elementary school teacher - she should know!) I read "Driven To Distraction", and found myself described to a "T". (Do you happen to know the title of the book with the cover picture you described?) I too, can realte to that cover. My thoughts were like the numbers lighting up in the movie "A Beautiful Mind" - someimes this resulted in wonderfully creative work and interpretations of things. Other times it simply resulted in disorganization. I also suffered from low-level depression, secondaryto the ADD. I have been on Strattera (80 mg/day) for the past year, and it has helped tremendously - although the male side effects should be checked out on the alternate thread on these boards started by jack-o. Don't look back at the past to "what might have been". Make each future day a better one! Anyway - good luck!

Old 10-15-2003, 02:51 AM   #18
    LisaG890
    Veteran

LisaG890 HB User
    Hi everyone,

I just want to take a minute to tell you all how great it is that you are sharing your stories of growing up with AD/HD and going untreated.

There are many parents on the board who struggle with the issue to use meds or not, and how to handle the daily lives of their little one. You have validated the fact that they should get some type of help -

I am also glad - (well not glad, but relieved) that there are others who have shared my experiance with Epilepsy and ADD.

I have 2 children with Temprol Lobe Epilepsy. My daughter Jenny is also ADD and she's had some LDs to go with it... Jake is only 21 mth. His seizures are much worse then my daughters, so there was no question - when you have a grand mal you know its a seizure. In Jenny's case she went for years discribing what she calls "going away". I put this down to the daydreaming of a little girl with ADD not knowing that it was seizure activity until she had one generalize at school.

I've stated here before that from what I've seen and read there is a relationship between E and AD/HD. If you take the seizure part out when you speak to someone with E they will discribe a life very much like that of a person with ADD. I think its a dysfunction in the executive excution and memory areas. Just one is more sever then the other.

I would urge anyone who is diagnosed with ADD/HD to see a neurologist. I wouldn't let my family dr make that call there could be something deeper going on. Just my thoughts.

Love and light and thanks again.

Lisa and kids

Closed Thread