It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Allergic to ritlan?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2003, 07:10 AM   #1
    Dawn N

Dawn N HB User
    Unhappy Allergic to ritlan?

I'm 28 years old and was diagnosed with ADD about two years ago. (although i knew i had it way before a diagonisis) I was convinced that a stimulant wasnt the way to go. I was concered with the addictive prospects of it most of all. Recently i changed my mind and wanted to try something, i want to go back to school and theres so much more i want to do that im just not able to accomplish it on my own. I need help.

So my doctor started me on 5 mg of ritilan twice a day.
    I took one dose and the nightmare began. My eyes felt like they were going to explode from my head. I had not one but TWO peaks on it i went two days without sleep. 5mg is a small dose and should have only lasted 4 hours, i was still feeling teh effects of it more then 24 hours later!!! we are close to 48 hours after my first dose now and i still feel teh drug in me.

I had numbness in my right arm and leg off and on and many other unfriendly side affects. My "mind" felt good tho, i could concentrate, my "road rage" was gone I was completing some things I couldn't even get started before. But my "body" couldn't handle the ritilan. I wont even consider taking another one.
    At one point I even thought I was going to have a stroke or a heart attack..

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be that I had an allergic reaction and maybe another ADD medication would not leave me with the same results?
    Any advice is more then welcome at this point.

Saying "im disappointed" is an understatement. :[

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    That doesn't sound like an allergic reaction exactly. It sounds like you reacted to the ritalin like speed. Are you sure you have ADD? ADD is misdiagnosed a lot. There are tons of different things that mimic the symptoms.

------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:40 PM   #3
    Dawn N

Dawn N HB User
    Well, i'm pretty sure its ADD i have symptoms dating back to 1st grade. In fact, my only memory of that age is being punished in school for not completing work sheets. And ive had the same doctor for 3 years and she still says im clearly ADD. What else could it mimic? i would be interested in researching anything it could be. My doctor just advised me to try taking ONE ritilan every 3 days to see if that helps. But im terrified of it now. :[

Old 10-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Maybe you have learning differences that are causing the ADHD symptoms??

You reacted to the ritalin as if you had taken speed. Usually people who have ADD are calmed by stimulants while people who get the "speedy" effects are more likely not to be ADD.

Ever think about trying anything natural? Since you are so sensitive to the ritalin I would suggest against taking it. A natural stimulant is l-tyrosine. You might try that, start out with a low dose and work your way up if there are no side effects.

------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Old 10-12-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
    Blaana

Blaana HB User
    I am allergic to ritalin. I took it for 1 month before I made the connection. I had a rash on one arm that turned into hives and I had other symptoms too. It took 2 months for the rash to go away after I stopped taking it. I take adderall now and haven't had any problems at all. Why don't you see if your doctor will give you a weeks worth of samples for adderall to see if it works better for you?

Blaana

Old 10-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Doctors can't give out samples of controlled substances.

------------------

Old 10-13-2003, 07:10 AM   #7
    Dawn N

Dawn N HB User
    I was tested through-out school with zero results. There are no real disabilities, besides my inability to pay attention, focus,sit still ect ect. I Finished High School and some college. With no help. I have all the signs of ADD and i've two different doctors who diagnosed me. My neurologist and my Psychologist. I could go on and on and on about my symptoms and history. hehe

If theres any chance it could be something else i would be excited and eager to look into it, so offer up any opinions you guys might have. "!!"

Has anyone else here had an ADD diagnosis and been unable to take ritialn? Im afraid to try the Adderal and even more frightened of strattera since it takes a month to leave your system AFTER you stop taking it.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #8
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Well thats certainly a very wierd reaction that you had. Do you happen to know what subtype of ADD you are? That can make a big difference in treatments. My suggestion would be to try the all natural route. A common supplement thats sometimes helpful for ADD is L-Tyrosine. If you decide to try it or anything else start out with small doses and work your way up. Keep written records of any bad reactions you have.

------------------

Old 10-20-2003, 07:00 AM   #9
    Markie Mark

Markie Mark HB User
    Cool

If you are getting the racy heart from ritalin or any other ADD med try something else, even a different type of the same drug. Sometimes if you were given the generic try the name brand, my nephew had a reaction to generic but not the name brand of the same drug.I know that I was once tried on Dexidrine Spatials and got the racy heart. I now take Dexidrine tablets and have for 8 years with no problems. When I was on Ritalin I did have a strange allergy reaction. When ever I ate something with peanut oil I would get high blood pressure and heart rate. If I took Sudifed for allergies I would come back down quickly. That was hard on me I love Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:45 AM   #10
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
    Sounds like blood-pressure related effects or maybe just hypersensitivity to the medication (people with ADD and autism specturm disorders often show odd reactions to medication) and you're getting problems with the stimulants from that - as you said your mind was clear/calm etc. so it's not a "speedy" reaction! (From what I've heard speed makes your thoughts race while giving you a "happy feeling", although the few times I've dabbled in any illegal stimulants they never had that effect on me - on the contrary it felt like my brain worked properly for one - although I'm quite sensitive to the physical side effects)

You can have negative (or positive) physical reactions or side effects from the medication even if it's good for your brain so don't listen to anyone telling you you don't have ADD just because you get side effects from the medication!

But I agree you have to tell your doctor and try something else instead. Strattera is a non-stimulant medication although in combination with decongestants it can also lead to high blood pressure.

[This message has been edited by Redhead23 (edited 10-20-2003).]

Inhibited Perfectionist

Closed Thread