It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Is 6 a low ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
    Agenda
    Inactive
    (female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User
    Is 6 a low ferritin

Hi, posted earlier this week about hgb levels being 10. Just got ferritin results back they are 6. How low is this waiting for doc to ring me.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Is 6 a low ferritin

Yes, it's low. Most people don't report feeling optimal till ferritin reaches the 50's. Everyone is different though. I have been battling this for 4 months my ferritin goes up and down up and down. I started at a 2! With your hemoglobin being a 10 and your ferritin a 6 you are more then likely having an iron deficiency. Low ferritin symptoms aches, easy fatigue, weakness, increased pulse or palpitations, loss of energy, increased irritability and confusion, cold chills, and picas. That is just some of them.

The thing with ferritin is that it's a number that can be all the way in the 200's and we are in single digits. Ferritin is something that takes a while, you are definitely in this for the long haul.

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
    Agenda (09-07-2012)
    Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
    Agenda
    Inactive
    (female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

My doctor I'd talking about starting me on iron injections next week. Why injections rather than infusion?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

First I have never had experience with either. My Dr. just made me to oral. I think if I would have went to a different Dr. or even a hematologist they would have done infusions as to how low I was.

Having said that I think that the iv/injections are for people who are really low. It gives more iron at once right then instead of slowly trying to get the iron to go back up. Seems he is going the faster route. Which is good for you.

Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
    Alesis
    (female)

Alesis HB User

My doctor said in her notes that "goal ferritin is over 50". Reference range in my case is 4.6 - 204; my ferritin level is a 3.4. From what I read online, intravenous and intramuscular (injectable) iron is, like the poster above me said, the faster route. I am talking to a hematologist about getting iron infusions or injections (whatever he suggests) on the 19th. The pills are taking too long.

Best of luck to you, and hugs!

A.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alesis For This Useful Post:
    Agenda (09-08-2012)
    Closed Thread