It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera - Others w. Adult Male Side Effects?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2003, 03:42 PM   #16
    AaronV
    (male)

AaronV HB User
    Something else I'll mention is that there seems to be a peak period when the semen discharge thing seems more likely to happen. It is usually about 3-4 hours after I take my 60 mg dose at 7:00am. I haven't read anything yet indicating that this will go away with time. I had some headaches and sleeping difficulty early on but those went away.
    I guess it's still early to know the long term effects with this new med. It's nice to have this message board to hear what other people have to share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #17
    johnny2678

johnny2678 HB User
    Thanks for replying Aaron. Yeah, the board is nice. It would be great to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Other than the above mentioned side effects, the first few days were great but lately i've been more subdued and less outgoing. I did completely organize my room last night which was nice for a change but I hope that I don't always feel this way... or maybe this is what it is to not be ADD.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:23 PM   #18
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    I have stopped taking strattera (after using it for about 2 months) for prostate related pain as well as burning sensation.
    I was the one who cross posted the quote about strattera that is posted again by criterioncollection.
    My prostrate problems continues even after stopping strattera. My URO started me on "Flomax" which gave me throat infection as a side effect. My Primary physician gave antibiotic(Zithromax) for the infection which incidentally relieved my prostate problems temporarily. But I got it again after stopping zithromax. Now I still have it and as far as I researched the internet it looks like there is no conclusive treatment plan for prostatitis as such.
    Iam thinking in terms of requesting powerful anti biotic as the next step.
    I have been taking wellbutrin for a long time and recently started adderall xr after stopping strattera.
    Adderall is helping my ADHD but not as effective as strattera was(I mean for ADHD)
    My Advise would be to stop treatment and consult URO immediately if you find any Urinary problems
    since Prostate infections are really really pain in the butt! (Litterally too)
    My question for HYPERV is :
    did the antibiotics help you ? How are u doing now?
    thanks

Old 05-11-2003, 11:58 AM   #19
    AlmostOK

AlmostOK HB User
    WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

I just found this thread from searching on Google. It's a relief to see that this is a med side effect and not a venereal disease!

I've been having sexual side effects like others describe here, after taking Strattera for about 3 weeks.

1. Copious leakage of pre-ejaculate fluid. (Normally there would be almost none.)
    2. At orgasm, ejaculation volume is around 20% of normal. Sometimes nothing at all! There is also an uncomfortable burning sensation.
    3. Afterwards, I feel a strong need to urinate, but cannot do so for several minutes.

Speculation:
    It seems to me that something is happening to the "valve" that normally prevents a man from urinating while he has an erection. (I do not know the anatomical name for this, but I know that it exists.) I believe that Strattera interferes with this valve, so that it constricts (or perhaps redirects) the flow of semen during ejaculation and also interferes with the flow of urine at other times. Perhaps simple inflammation and swelling could have this effect. Other posters on this board have reported releasing semen at the end of urination. This, plus the sensations I have experienced, leads me to believe that during these "impaired" ejaculations, semen is actually being "re-routed" into the bladder. I never knew that was possible, but it seems to be happening.

I believe I will have to go back to taking Adderall instead of Strattera. The "speedy" side effects of the Adderall are a bit annoying, but nowhere near as weird and disturbing as this!

Old 05-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #20
    AlmostOK

AlmostOK HB User
    Follow-up:

I stopped taking the Strattera a week ago, and the odd side effects are now gone.

Old 05-19-2003, 08:25 PM   #21
    jeffsui

jeffsui HB User
    I'm having the same side effects as described on this board. I've been on stratera for 3 days. I'm not sure I'm going to stay on it. Has anybody had these side effects go away after a while?

Old 05-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #22
    hyperev

hyperev HB User
    Replying to Jay22, the antibiotics worked for the strange urinary problem. Since my posting, I have dropped the Strattera all together. I have NEVER had any impodence problems in my life until this crappy med. Not to be graphic, but I was with a woman, and had to constantly be manipulated to keep an erection. Friggin' ADD is better than that in my mind. The catch 22 is while on the med, I was a better listener and had better luck with the ladies. The thing is now, as with most "mind altering" drugs, once you have been on them, you never look at things the same. I now see when I'm doing my ADD [email protected] I still get ****** at myself when I make an ADD related mistake, but I am much more aware of them....

Old 05-22-2003, 09:43 AM   #23
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    Thanks hyperv for the response. Also can you tell me which antibiotic was prescribed. I took zithromax .
    I still continue to have the burning sensation when I urinate (even after two months after stipping strattera) and looks like I see some tiny white spots which could be semen. I never had any urinary problem prior to taking Strattera.
    Iam planning on meeting URO for a powerful antibiotic.
    What is puzzling to me is Prostatitis which is an infection is the side effect of a medicine(it is mentioned as one of the possible side effects of strattera). Also flomax has listed Throat infection as one of its side effects which I got by taking the medicine (For Prostatitis). How could a medicine cause infection? Does it mean they have the bacteria in them or they kick start those bacteria. Very strange chemical effects!
    As an aside Adderall xr with Wellbutrin looks like a promising combo. The effects are getting better day by day
    thanks
    Jay22

Old 05-24-2003, 02:27 AM   #24
    IThinkICan

IThinkICan HB User
    I started strattera Doc has bumped me up from 40 to 80mg a couple days ago. still havent seen much improvement. how long does this stuff take to kick in and make me be able to concentrate? I can feel the side effects like tiredness still. I also have problems ejaculating...and urinating sometimes...then again it might be the 20mg of lexapro which i started recently also.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:03 PM   #25
    giupset

giupset HB User
    It could be affecting your ureter(s), urethra, and/or prostate. I've only read about 10-15 of the emails. You can contact Eli Lilly in Indianapolis, IN at 317-276-2000 and ask for Medical Information/Medical Informatics. Not much would really be known on this as it's pretty new. Not many people have taken this drug. You can also report this to the FDA in Rockville, Maryland regarding a MedWatch report or something similar to it. Or possibly contact Judy Putz in the investigational branch of the FDA located in Detroit, MI (not sure she could help, you may have to go straight to headquarters).

Have any of you guys seen a urologist to see if this has affected the above in anyway?

Old 05-29-2003, 10:31 AM   #26
    addrx?

addrx? HB User
    Hi Jacko, Sounds like it is time to consult a PDR and or your Physician. Does not sound good. You do not need the added anxiety.
    Joe

Old 05-29-2003, 10:56 AM   #27
    addrx?

addrx? HB User
    The symptoms of burning, out of sync ejaculation, pain in the pelvis etc. secondary to Strattera therapy may be dur to direct irratation of the gentiourinary system, neurogenic or muscle control or any or all of the above.

I have to believe that the Mfg of Strattera is aware of these symptoms. Do the patient no harm.
    Make sure your doctor is AWARE of your problems.

joe

[This message has been edited by addrx? (edited 06-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by addrx? (edited 06-12-2003).]

Old 05-29-2003, 09:42 PM   #28
    giupset

giupset HB User
    The manufacturer, Eli Lilly is aware that this adverse event has occurred in their clinical trials - you can review the PDR or the monograph/insert. They have less than 10 patients noted having these symptoms. I don't remember their patient population so can't give you a percentage but I believe it's under 10% which is incorrect. The FDA should be contacted regarding this before it gets so serious and causes other problems but not many physicians contact the FDA regarding issues on drugs that are already on the market. Again, you can contact Lilly and/or the FDA as well as your MD.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:05 PM   #29
    genX

genX HB User
    Thumbs down

Hi,

I'm a newbie here. I'm taking Wellbutrin SR once a day in the afternoon and Straterra in the morning. I'm on my 16th day and I have pain in my stomach, one day instead of urine, a whole glob of semen comes out. I'm 35 and I have a hard time to get an erection. I never had the problem with any of the above until I start taking Strats. I'm paging my doctor to tell him that I will have to get back to Wellbutrin 2X a day and stop taking Strats. I'm nauseated all day and I'm only taking the 25 mg. I took the 40 mg one day, because my doctor told me to try the different dosages to see what's going to help me, but when I took the 40, Extreme pain in my testicles, like I just got kicked in the groin area. Very sore feeling too. Extreme pressure in my bladder. I am getting out of this med, it worries me. 16 days is enough.

------------------
    "redeeming the time..."

Old 05-30-2003, 10:29 PM   #30
    mitchel7379

mitchel7379 HB User
    Cool

I was taking Strattera for almost 2 weeks. One day at work my balls starting hurting like they were full, and everytime I went to pee it felt like I never got it all out. Then the next day I went to pee and I strained to try and get it all out and a big ole glob of semen came out. Then on top of that, I was masturbating and my ejaculation came at least a minute before my orgasm and there was this white stuff in there that did not look like semen at all.. I freaked out until I read on this website that everyone else was having the same problem. Then, I immediately stopped the meds and within a day all the symptoms stopped and everything was back to normal. I had sex with my partner last night, and we tore the paint off the walls......All is good off of Strattera!

Mitchel

Closed Thread