It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Leg swelling after Microdiscectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
    AK21
    (female)

AK21 HB User
    Unhappy Leg swelling after Microdiscectomy?

OK, So I am new here but I had a Microdiscectomy at L5-S1 and L3-L4 on 11/15 and returned to work (as a teacher) per my Doctor yesterday.

Pre-surgery, I only had sciatic pain, and that went away immediately, but post-surgery I have had pain in my L3 and L4 nerve pathways.

Returning to work yesterday was excruciating. My entire leg hurt so bad and it feels like my knee is really swollen. My doctor told me I could basically do anything that didn't hurt, so no real restrictions but I can't believe the amount of pain I am in. I went back on my narcotics because of the knee swelling and have been icing it. Maybe I overdid it?

Has anyone experienced knee/leg swelling after this surgery? I could feel and hear the water in my knee when ever I would bend it. Elevating it helped, but yesterday and today I am working 12 hour days and this sucks. Now that I have a return to work form from my Dr., I can't take anymore day's off.... thoughts?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
    georgie782
    (female)

georgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Leg swelling after Microdiscectomy?

After my surgery I had real bad swelling of my legs. I suggest going in you may have a blood clot somewhere . It wont hurt to have it checked. Good Luck to you

The Following User Says Thank You to georgie782 For This Useful Post:
    AK21 (12-04-2012)
    Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Leg swelling after Microdiscectomy?

You are really very early in your recovery. I can't imagine going back to work two weeks post surgery. Seems to me, that is really pushing it. I know teachers who had to be out a minimum of three months. I imagine the whole issue is that your body is just not ready for such long days on your feet or sitting.

Swelling in the ankles, feet and lower legs is common after spine surgery. With the L3-L4 surgery, I can see how it would cause problems in the knee.

I would call your surgeon and discuss it with him/her.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    AK21 (12-04-2012)
    Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
    AK21
    (female)

AK21 HB User
    Talking Re: Leg swelling after Microdiscectomy?

[QUOTE=teteri66;5099142]You are really very early in your recovery. I can't imagine going back to work two weeks post surgery. Seems to me, that is really pushing it. I know teachers who had to be out a minimum of three months. I imagine the whole issue is that your body is just not ready for such long days on your feet or sitting.

Swelling in the ankles, feet and lower legs is common after spine surgery. With the L3-L4 surgery, I can see how it would cause problems in the knee.

I would call your surgeon and discuss it with him/her.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the info, I was really worried about the swelling. My Surgeon was really adamant that I should be fine back at work during the two week mark, and I feel like I call them everyday with something new but I will ask about the swelling. I teach high school, so at least I am not chasing little kids around but I wasn't prepared for this kind of injury/pain. I think too it's sort of making me sit more and creating kind of a cycle of pain too because it's difficult to bend the knee, but My husband said he could wrap it tonight. Thanks again

Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Do you have any periods during the day where you could go lie down for a few minutes? it would be helpful if you could get off your feet, but sitting puts 30% more stress on the discs than lying down or standing...so it isn't a good idea to just sit down.

Your doctor gave you what I would consider the absolutely most optimistic time frame for someone who isn't working. Unfortunately, I know plenty of people who went back to work before the body was ready and ended up with more issues than they would have had otherwise. There is a danger of reherniating the disc.

I guess you can't alter the work schedule, but please go home after work and rest. Let everything else go so your back has a chance to recover. Otherwise, I'm afraid you will find yourself in pain come the New Year.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    AK21 (12-05-2012)
    Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
    AK21
    (female)

AK21 HB User
    Smile Re: Leg swelling after Microdiscectomy?

Thank you for the information, and the advice. I will do just that. I have an hour in the middle of the day when I can rest and now am cancelling my prior after school obligations, at least until after the holiday break. I came home and laid down after work today and feel so much better, I do think it was too much too soon.

My back feels pretty good, it was the knee pain that really was getting me but I'm sure it's all connected. I will try to get up and walk around on it a few times per hour.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
    georgie782
    (female)

georgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB Usergeorgie782 HB User

Oh that sounds great, so happy to read on here that some of you are doing good. That is just Grand!!!!!!!! Good luck to you and I wish you a very relaxing time before the zholidays ....... And drop us all a note telling us how you doing. God Bless You.

The Following User Says Thank You to georgie782 For This Useful Post:
    AK21 (12-05-2012)
    Closed Thread