It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low ferritin the cause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Low ferritin the cause?

Give it some time. I know it sucks but you will get there. I take slower release and it just makes more sense to me. Instead of getting hit with a ton of iron at once and getting rid of the rest it goes out slower and the body gets more instead of getting rid of it. At least this is the theory I have, it's mine, lol. I am hoping it works. I have been taking the slow release for a while now with no labs done since on it. I got my blood drawn today should have the results tomorrow, can't wait. It was more of an absorption thing for me, and making sure I was getting all the iron I was taking and needed. I think all the symptoms just blended into one for me and I was so depressed I didn't care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

Man, I am so nervous about constipation. I am taking SO MUCH iron that I know it's going to cause a problem as I already have to make sure I eat a lot of fiber. So I bought some magnesium citrate (liquid stuff that tastes like sprite) -- I will drink some every day I guess. I also take magnesium though too- high potency. I just take it because of leg cramps in the evenings and at night.
    So we'll see....

Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
    Give it some time. I know it sucks but you will get there. I take slower release and it just makes more sense to me. Instead of getting hit with a ton of iron at once and getting rid of the rest it goes out slower and the body gets more instead of getting rid of it. At least this is the theory I have, it's mine, lol. I am hoping it works. I have been taking the slow release for a while now with no labs done since on it. I got my blood drawn today should have the results tomorrow, can't wait. It was more of an absorption thing for me, and making sure I was getting all the iron I was taking and needed. I think all the symptoms just blended into one for me and I was so depressed I didn't care.
    Do you get any side effects with the slow release Iron ? Could you please share if your results went up when you get the reports ? My doctor said that a ferritin of 8 is slightly low and not of much concern. However, I have read online that 8 is really low.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I will let you know tomorrow, haven't had labs since slow release but I went and got my blood drawn today and will post results tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

snowbell- mine was 9 and my doc prescribed me 325 mg three times a day! i only took two pills today... it's hard on my stomach. i'm not liking it

Last edited by Mandolyn; 03-27-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #21
    Swoozle
    (female)

Swoozle HB User

Quote:
    There is a cause. I started with a ferritin of a 2 last year. I have had heavy monthlies every month for as long as I can remember, I got an ablation and need to get my labs checked again to see if they are getting any better now that I'm not bleeding anymore. Do you have heavy periods? Ulcers? Gluten intolerance (Celiac's Disease) a lot of the times a simple change in diet or something to slow/stop bleeding etc is a life saver, but if you keep struggling with this I can't stress enough that you have your Dr. start investigating why you are continuously becoming anemic.

The first thing that goes with anemia is your ferritin which is your iron stores, the iron serum, the saturation, then your hemoglobin and hematocrit will start slipping.

My Dr. is very good to me. My last check my ferritin had reached a 33, my hematocrit and hemoglobin were finally up but I can not stress to you enough that just because you have a normal hemoglobin and hematocrit doesn't mean a thing, many people can still be anemic and these number can still be normal. I still feel bad and I still have bad days. Having a low ferritin can cause so many unpleasant side effects.

I just did a ton of research because I wanted to know what was wrong with me. I taught myself what I had and what was going on with my body, I also taught myself how to read labs. I got every side effect possible and then some I'm sure including anxiety, panic, and depression. My Dr. wanted to treat me for depression and OCD at first then ended up calling me back and telling me to come trade anti-depressants for iron. :/ Going on a year now. Longest year of my life.
    Thanks so much for your reply Heather. You've given me a lot more information than the doctor gave me. I have tons of the symptoms of anemia and over the last 6 months I feel like I'm a burden to my family as I'm constantly not well and don't even like telling them any more (though they have been very supportive). My doctor seems to think there is not really an issue and isn't concerned about the cause or getting the levels up but I will persevere now that I know it likely is the cause. I have quite heavy periods and also have difficulty digesting wheat (though I'm not coeliac). I have suffered from anxiety in the past so doc may be blaming this for the palpitations rather than the low ferritin. I also had full anemia with low RBC then so wondering if that was the cause and no-one ever really connected the two things?!

I'm glad you are making progress and hope that your bad days become less and less frequent.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #22
    Swoozle
    (female)

Swoozle HB User

What's an ablation? You can tell I'm new here LOL

Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swoozle View Post
    Hi. I went to my docs in November due to losing hair, feeling run down, daily palpitations etc. All of my bloods have come back normal except low ferritin of 7. After a few month of iron pills it has gone up to 11. The iron is killing my stomach and my doc suggested that getting the levels back to normal may not make any difference to my symptoms!. I was hoping to get them up to at least eliminate this as the cause of my feeling ill and tired all the time. Does anyone have similar issues or have any ideas or suggestions?
    Swoozle - Can I ask how much Iron are you taking and what kind ? My ferritin is 8 but my hgb is 12.3. My doctor has asked me to take one pill of Iron or a multivitamin with Iron. I am taking Iron Bisglycinate 18mg but it makes my acid reflux worst. I am thinking of giving slow Fe is a try.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    I will let you know tomorrow, haven't had labs since slow release but I went and got my blood drawn today and will post results tomorrow.
    Will wait to hear about your lab results before starting the slow release

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #25
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandolyn View Post
    snowbell- mine was 9 and my doc prescribed me 325 mg three times a day! i only took two pills today... it's hard on my stomach. i'm not liking it
    Mandolyn - My ferritin is 8 but my hgb is 12.3, kind of on the border. However, my doctor doesn't seem too concerned. She didn't ask me to take any extra iron. Just a multivitamin with iron. So, that's what I have been doing or an Iron pill of 18mg the days I don't take the multivitamin. It's been about 5 weeks and they won't do another lab until 6 weeks are done. I have acid reflux issues and the Iron just makes it worse

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

My Red blood cell count is 3.61
    My hemoglobin is 11.1
    My Hematocrit is 33.3

And my ferritin is 9

So.. I don't know if that qualifies for 325 mg of ferrous sulfate 3x a day. But... I have only been taking 2 of the pills, as I deal with constipation as it is. I did call my doctor and he said that is how much he wants me to take so...
    I will try to take 3 pills spread out today, it's hard to remember sometimes as you have to take it an hour before a meal or 2 hours after a meal. Plus I take wellbutrin 2x a day as well. And other supplements in the morning. And a high potency magnesium at night, that has helped with leg cramps as well as Xanax and hylands leg cramps. I'm afraid to NOT take them now... but I'm sure when my iron levels get up I can start subtracting some of those. I also drink tonic water mixed with OJ every evening... that is how afraid I am of leg/shin cramps!! They are painful because the nerves are involved, especially in my ankles. And I have low back problems as it is so ... I'm just a mess. Lol.

Snowbell-- are you taking prilosec or anything for the reflux?

Last edited by Mandolyn; 03-28-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Swoozle, my Dr. won't touch my anxiety or depression till we treat the anemia because the 2 can be directly related to each other. I get stuff to manage and quite honestly since taking iron and fighting this back, I haven't had many anxiety attacks. I wonder if maybe you can think how long this has been going on and maybe can tie the 2 together somehow and see how your doing when taking iron and getting your numbers better? Is your depression getting better and how about your anxiety? Basically with anemia, in short, your body is starving for oxygen. The iron gives the blood cells, organs, tissues etc.

This is why I tell everyone to be proactive for themselves, because some Dr's just brush this off. Well easy to do when they don't feel the way that we do everyday. Living is a constant struggle. The thing that got me the most was the ferritin. I joined so many boards, talked to so many Dr's, people that suffered low ferritin etc. How fast it can deplete and how long it takes to raise, especially the oral route and the side effects!

Is there anyways you can get a 2nd opinion? Call around and ask before you make your appointment that you are seeking a Dr. that has knowledge as far as anemia goes and will treat it? I don't give my Dr. a chance to tell me, I tell him, as long as I have low ferritin I will continue taking iron and he agrees.

I am waiting for my labs today, hate waiting.

I too had heavy periods. I couldn't leave my house. By day 3 & 4 I was (to much info I know) clotting so big that it would fill a pad. I had enough and went to the OB and got an ablation. So far it's been amazing I haven't had a cycle since December. 4 months w/o one should definitely being doing some good for my body and at least giving it all time to catch up!

Hurry up labs!!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

I think the anxiety/depression message was meant for me? Not sure... LOL.
    I took wellbutrin 4 years ago and my family said it helped. I used to have my iron checked ALL the time because when I was pregnant I was anemic and always needed to take extra iron with my prenatal vitamins. But after my last pregnancy my lab results always came back normal (that was with Kaiser) now that I have blue shield maybe the docs are more aware and even if it's close they treat it. But I tend to have racing thoughts-- impatient and snappy with my kids and husband. I can't seem to slow my mind down and I have always been like this, that is why years back I was taking something for it. But then I realized I just needed to continue praying and seeking God and I weaned myself off Wellbutrin. Well I'm back on because I feel the same way again and I can't control it. And the Xanax is for night only, I will NOT take that in the daytime. It's for my teeth clenching. I have TMJD which flares up often and I'm sure my mouth guard is poor but... better than nothing.

I don't think a 9 is that low and I don't have heavy periods at all. The first two days are heavy I guess- but normal, I don't have to wear a pad or anything with my tampon. Then after two days it goes lighter and then it stops completely for one whole day (always since my last labor, it has done this) then I start spotting again for about 3-4 days and it gets lighter and lighter as the days go on and then I'm done. So I don't think it's blood loss causing my low iron unless I am bleeding internally somewhere and don't know? But I would be in constant pain I'm sure...
    I probably just don't ingest enough and I wasn't taking a multivitamin for a long time because my husband and others said taking vitamins aren't good for you over a period of time. ?? Whatever. I disagree now. If you can't eat a perfect days worht of healthy food then you need supplements. I mean, who eats literally the PERFECT amount of veggies- fruits and whole grains every day?? Maybe some do...

Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #29
    Swoozle
    (female)

Swoozle HB User

Quote:
    Good luck. Hope they are up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Swoozle For This Useful Post:
    Heatherx5 (03-29-2013)
    Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Are you saying you don't think a ferritin of 9 is low? I'm not going to try and convince you if it's low or not, I can just give you my own opinion. It's low. Ferritin is your iron stores, it's a number that can go all the way up to 200 it's also the hardest number to raise. It takes months and sometimes even years of taking iron to get that number to move. I started with a ferritin of a 2 and have been taking iron for a year now and it's barely in the 60's. My OB tells me I can plan on taking iron for another year to get my stores back up. Once ferritin starts depleting it's really hard to get back up. Some people feel the effects some don't. A period of any kind while anemic is not good, your bleeding and your losing iron and if your not taking iron to get it back your just going to fall more.

Closed Thread