It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• vitamin b12 deficient?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
    ella2013
    (female)

ella2013 HB User
    vitamin b12 deficient?

Hi,
    I wondered if people who are b12 deficient might be able to give me some insight and peace of mind that im not going crazy!

Ive been really unwell the last few months, tired to my bones, achey burning muscles and a complete lack of energy. I was really fit and healthy and loved to go to the gym and run but I havent been able to do this for 3 months. The worst symptoms are my numb and tingly hands. If I put my hand in the air for a few seconds I cant feel them. My heels burn constantly too, I thought it was achilles tendonitis but now my toes hurt too. Im also getting dizzy spells and ringing in my ears when I have them. I can only describe the constant muscle twitches I get as feeling like im going to have a grand mal seizure.

At first I didnt link these together but I now feel so bad im sure they must be. My doctor did some blood tests as he thought I was anemic but they all came back as within normal range. The only borderline result I got was for B12, It was at 180. He told me to take a supplement and sent me away.

Is 180 low and does anyone else experience my symptoms with a b12 level like this? I have literally not been able to get off the sofa today and its not like me at all!! Can you be deficient without anemia?

Please help! Thanks, Ella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: vitamin b12 deficient?

You can definitely be B12 deficient without it causing anemia (yet). 180 is definitely low and could be responsible for many of your symptoms. Some people do not absorb B12 well, so the sublingual tablets that dissolve and absorb under your tongue are the best to try. It will likely take a few weeks to get your levels up and you should see some gradual improvement in symptoms, if they are related to the B12 deficiency. I would also follow-up with your Dr. to make sure that it is coming up in 1-2 months, in case you need B12 injections instead of tablets.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Agree with lady. I was 340 and my Dr. put me on b12. I took sublinguals for a month and my b12 went back up to 800 ish, in just a month. Wasn't to hard to raise, the iron I take now has b12 in it and I'm also using a super complex.

Do you happen to have your numbers for your other labs?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
    msnova74
    (female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

Unless you have a horrible diet, B12 deficiency is typically linked to some level of Pernicious Anemia. If it is PN oral B12 will not help.

You need either the injectable or the sublingual. PN is caused by the body's inability to absorb enough B12 from their diet. People either have none of the enzyme, or not enough.

I would try the sublingual type first, as it is cheap and easily available at most drug stores. Although the injectables are becoming more and more common.

You are not crazy low with the "normal" being 200-350, but I have seen that in many people that level can cause severe symptoms. My theory is that lower than your norm is where it comes into play. for me 180 would me amazingly good and I would not have symptoms, my brother on the other hand is nearly bedridden with a level of 180. (Mine is from birth, his has just come on in the last 2 years)

The other thing to know about PN is that you may have plenty of red cells, but not very many mature ones. Your RDW is a good indicator of disease process. A High RDW indicates that you have many cells of different maturity.

Pernicious Anemia can cause ALL of the symptoms you describe as B12 is essential for proper nerve function. Most people who develop it rather than are born with it, initially go to the Dr. for paraestheias.

It is water soluable so as long as your kidneys are decent, you will pee out any overage.

I am not a DR, but just someone who has lived with this disease from birth.

I hope this helps. PLease feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T

Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
    michellegrl
    (female)

michellegrl HB User

you can buy b12 and inject it yourself

no need for prescription and you use insulin needles 30g
    b 12 is called b12 cyanabolin

Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

The normal for US standards. A lot of other countries have way higher standards then we do. 180 is low and needs to be treated. I got my smashed out so fast and back up there but was suffering symptoms of anemia as well and it just seemed like everything was meshed in and honestly couldn't tell you what I was feeling besides very bad and knocking on deaths door.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
    Cymrygirl
    (female)

Cymrygirl HB User

I go by the doctor's office once a month for B-12 injections (don't think I'm quite ready to give shots to myself yet). The needles they use are so small that most of the time I don't even feel it. I also have had body aches with burning feeling, heels aching, total exhaustion, and sometimes my fingers tingle and go numb and I find myself flicking them in response. When I'm really tired and achy, my forearms ache the most, down into my fingers, and sometimes my legs as well. They feel like they are radiating heat, but they are cool to the touch. Sometimes they feel sensitive, like they're sunburned, but there's no sunburn. What feels best on them then is just for me to lie in a nice, cool room, with my arms propped up on a nice, cool pillow. If I'm tired enough that I'm having these symptoms, I usually go to bed anyway and hug a body pillow. Sometimes taking pain reliever helps with the aches, but it doesn't address the underlying cause, which is B-12/iron deficiency.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
    ella2013
    (female)

ella2013 HB User

Hi all

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up going back to the doctors and he is sending me for more blood tests to see if I have pernicious anemia. Im not sure what this test is but hopefully I will have a definitive answer soon. I cant carry on like this!

Hopefully an injection will make me feel better, I would never be able to inject myself!! Im not sure you can get proper b12 supplements in the uk without a prescription.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
    Ukangell
    (female)

Ukangell HB User

Hi

I'm new to this board! For almost half my life I've been on and off iron tablets. I'm so good at spotting when it drops that my docs just do the bloods when I ask and hand out the tablets. This time my B12 came back low too. I'm not sure if it has ever been tested before though! My iron wasn't crazy low like it has been, it was 12 but my B12 was 157. My docs have given me iron and B12 tablets this time round and have done other bloods for celiac and crohn's disease. All normal! They have just they have no reason for it being low and my iron dropping so often! I'm off back on the 24th to see my own doctor who is very good so hopefully ill get some answers! The 'fill in' in doc I went to see so I could view my results didn't seem to think that 157 was that low as the lowest 'normal' range was 180+. However, I've been on tablets for almost 3 weeks now and still feel shocking! My biggest problem is feeling very breathless and tired! Then at a certain time of day (2pm onwards) I get so cold I can't function. I end up curled up in bed or into a blanket which then makes me fall asleep!

I feel like I need some injections of B12 to boost me up as I hate feeling this tired especially when I have 2 kids (6 & 4)!

The tablet B12 I'm taking are 100mcg cyanocobalamin once a day!

Closed Thread