It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Good days AND bad days?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
    Smargie
    (female)

Smargie HB User
    Good days AND bad days?!

Like most of you around here, I'm anemic! Ferritin currently at 5, down from 8.3 from March 2012. (RBC, hemoglobin, and hematocrit out of range low as well). Finally got referral to a hematologist, who is taking this seriously.

I'm also suffering from some sort of intestinal problem, which is currently being investigated as well. It's hard to know which symptoms are coming from what.

My question is, do any of you have days when you feel almost normal (except for being weak and fatigued, which now feels like my new normal)? I have days when I cannot function at all--way too dizzy and light-headed to drive. And then every once-in-a-while I can make it to the grocery store and have normal interactions w/my family, not need several naps, etc.

Anyone else have some good days amongst the bad? It just makes me wonder if most of my symptoms are coming from my as yet undiagnosed cause of anemia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User
    Re: Good days AND bad days?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smargie View Post
    Like most of you around here, I'm anemic! Ferritin currently at 5, down from 8.3 from March 2012. (RBC, hemoglobin, and hematocrit out of range low as well). Finally got referral to a hematologist, who is taking this seriously.

I'm also suffering from some sort of intestinal problem, which is currently being investigated as well. It's hard to know which symptoms are coming from what.

My question is, do any of you have days when you feel almost normal (except for being weak and fatigued, which now feels like my new normal)? I have days when I cannot function at all--way too dizzy and light-headed to drive. And then every once-in-a-while I can make it to the grocery store and have normal interactions w/my family, not need several naps, etc.

Anyone else have some good days amongst the bad? It just makes me wonder if most of my symptoms are coming from my as yet undiagnosed cause of anemia.
    I have those even though my ferritin has gone up from 9 to 15. The worst one to deal with is the lightheadedness. My hemoglin is good with a value of 14.7 though.

The Following User Says Thank You to snowbell60 For This Useful Post:
    Smargie (06-07-2013)
    Old 06-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
    Smargie
    (female)

Smargie HB User

Thanks, Snowbell....Are you saying that you DO sometimes have a good day between the bad ones? I'm glad to hear your levels are going up, though it sounds like you don't feel great yet. The light-headedness is hard to deal with, isn't it?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smargie View Post
    Thanks, Snowbell....Are you saying that you DO sometimes have a good day between the bad ones? I'm glad to hear your levels are going up, though it sounds like you don't feel great yet. The light-headedness is hard to deal with, isn't it?
    Yes. Some days I feel great and some days I don't. My iron is quite up though (almost going overboard) but ferritin is going up slow. I was hesitant in taking more iron because of high iron but my doctor still wants me to keep taking it until ferritin goes up further. Lightheadedness is the worst. I have no idea what triggers it. It starts in the morning and pretty much stays all day long.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The weakness and lightheadedness are probably from the anemia. Once the cause is identified, probably related to GI symptoms, both should get treated and get better. Be sure you get checked for celiac disease along with your other GI tests, as that causes poor iron absorption and anemia. It is caused by gluten allergy. You may want to keep a food intake/GI symptom diary for a while until GI trouble gets figured out. It may help get to diagnosis quicker.

Closed Thread