It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Hashimotos and Lyme Connection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
    dazedndconfuzed
    (female)

dazedndconfuzed HB User
    Hashimotos and Lyme Connection

Hey everyone,

I have been on antibiotics for going on a year now. Back at square one with pain, fatigue, lyme brain, joints inflamed and hurting, etc... Saw a rheumatologist (again) as my ANA has been 1:320 for 20 plus years, and this joint yuck and fatigue seem to be getting worse. Getting another opinion couldn't hurt, I thought. My thyroid quit about 15 years ago, and I've been on Levothyroxin (fake thyroid) for that time, with the first couple of years trying to adjust the dose. Another auto-immune disorder, as I have been a Type 1 diabetic since 1986. The rheumatologist did some labs, and my Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPO) are 470 (making it Hashimoto's Disease). (Normal range is 1-20.) The rheum doc said she thought this test would be high, as she thought THIS was the real culprit, not the LYME disease. She said that the Lyme test can have a cross reaction, and come up positive when it is the (TPO) that is actually causing the positive on the Lyme test (Western Blot) not borreliosis - Lyme disease. Does this make sense? I don't know what to think anymore, and would very much appreciate anyone's input on this.

Getting my pic line put back in soon, and going for the IV antibiotics again. I had only taken oral antibiotics for the past year (about 6 different ones). I'm trying to remain hopeful, but feel very down and frustrated.

Thanks in advance for your input and insight,

DazedndConfuzed

First diagnosed two years ago, treated with 28 days of IV Rocephin and told everything would be "cured". I did feel better for a few months, but the symptoms returned with a vengeance. A year after initial diagnosis, and that treatment, I asked for a second Lyme Western Blot. Again, positive IGM with 23, 39, and 41 positive, and still NO bands positive in the IGG category. No one locally would put me back on antibiotics, saying that that just couldn't be the case, since I was on IV antibiotics for a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
    lala52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
    Re: Hashimotos and Lyme Connection

Dazed:
    I think it is the other way around. Lyme causes hashi. I have hashi also. My antibodies were 3000. Way way over the top. After a few months of being on abx, we tested my antibodies again and they went way down. Very unbelievable. I think they were about 140. I stopped the abx now for a while because I developed an infection in my foot from cortisone injections for a neuroma. I have to treat that now. I am going to test my thyroid again in a month or two and see what happens. I also switched to armour thryoid. That might have something to do with it. I was on synthroid for 20yrs until recently. So we shall see. Lets see if other people respond to this post and get other opinions. But my current dr who I love feels my hashi is from lyme. Take care. laLa

Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
    Seekingpeace12
    (male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
    Re: Hashimotos and Lyme Connection

I too have been diagnosed with Hasimoto's while infected with Lyme disease. I also have low testosterone. Both have been known to rebound after the Lyme disease is abated.

I read somewhere that Profound dysfunction of the hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal, thyroid glands and gonads is very common in mycoplasmal, fungal, and anerobic bacterial infections such as Lyme disease. This would explain why both the testosterone and thyroid rebound after the infection is killed.

Closed Thread

Tags
    auto-immune, hashimoto's disease, thyroid, type 1 diabetes