It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Repeat MRI results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
    Calamity77
    (female)

Calamity77 HB User
    Repeat MRI results

Hi,
    Thanks everyone who has answered some of my previous posts re my previously diagnosed radiculopathy from disc herniations. I have had a second MRI as the neurosurgeon suspected something else was also going on because my symptoms had spread to the left leg as well. The second MRI has not shown any nerve impingement on the left, however there have been some changes which seem a bit unusual to me, but then again, perhaps not.

MRI May 2013, L3/4 showed herniation impingeing on L3 nerve root. MRI Aug 2013 shows L3/4 herniation impingeing on L4 nerve root.

MRI May 2013, L4/5 showed herniation impingeing on L4 nerve root. MRI Aug 2013 shows L4/5 herniation impingeing on L5 nerve root.

MRI May 2013 showed bulging disc T11/12 Thoracic Spine. MRI Aug 2013 shows herniate disc T11/12 compressing right anterior theca but no impingement on nerve root.

Is it common to see the impingeing nerves altering over 3 month period? I agree that L5 must be impinged because of the nerve symptoms I am having in my foot. The weakness in my legs is increasingly getting worse. I really can't walk more than 100 metres within them giving way or me becoming very shaky. I think I have muscle wastage and I am concerned that things are not progressing as quickly as should be in regard to rectifying this problem. My neurosurgeon has me waiting weeks for follow up appointments because he is so booked out.

My left sided symptoms are a mystery to my neurosurgeon. has anyone else experienced radiculopathy pain on the opposite side to that which has been identified as being the problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
    twohands
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
    Re: Repeat MRI results

It's actually quite common to get different reports from different times or even from the same MRI. There are several reasons for this including:

1. Different radiologists/surgeons will interpret MRI's differently. I remember a cervical MRI I had done where I got a report from both the radiologist and my spine surgeon doing a report on it. The radiologist said I had a massive annular tear in one of the discs while the spine surgeon didn't even mention a tear. So give the MRI to 5 doctors to interpret it, and you'll get some variations in their reports.

2. It's possible that the way you were laying was slightly different and spine MRI's mainly look at the soft tissue issues. This means the soft tissues may be laying slightly differently than the previous MRI you had done, or you may have new issues that have arisen.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

+I think another possibility is that the bulges may have moved slightly...

Are you aware that two nerves cross each disc level and only one exits the spine (through the foramen) at that level. This is called the exiting nerve root. The nerve root that exits the spine at a particular level is referred to as the “exiting” nerve root.

Another nerve root goes across the disc and exits the spine at the next level below. It is called the “traversing” nerve root.

In the lumbar area, for example, The L5 nerve root is the traversing nerve root at the L4-L5 level, and is the exiting nerve root at the L5-S1 level.

So depending on who read the MRI, perhaps there was some difference in terminology or something...I'm just guessing here.

If you have any instability, your pain can move from one side to the other. Mine was usually on the right, but occasionally it would switch to the left and stay there for several months at a time. But sometimes I could get pain going from one side to the other in just a few hours.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
    Calamity77
    (female)

Calamity77 HB User

[QUOTE=teteri66;5213409]
    If you have any instability, your pain can move from one side to the other. Mine was usually on the right, but occasionally it would switch to the left and stay there for several months at a time. But sometimes I could get pain going from one side to the other in just a few hours.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Regardless of which nerves have been affected, I suppose the result is the same. I still have trapped nerves and there has been no improvement in symptoms for over 3 months. I also have been tending to think that it must be possible for symptoms to be felt on the other side. My neurosurgeon seemed confused and very definite that this should not happen but given the switch from one nerve to another then I think it must be possible for the pain to go to the other side. I can only report to him what I feel, which is pain on both sides. It is alternating all the time, but there would be more on the right. probably a 65/35 split. Both my feet have numbness which worsens on walking. I think the plan is to have microdiscectomy.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I should have mentioned this earlier. If the location of the disc bulge is in the paracentral area, it is common for it to be felt on one side or the other, or both, or switching.

Closed Thread