It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Me, myself and anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
    Keegsthekid
    (male)

Keegsthekid HB User
    Me, myself and anxiety

Hi I'm Keegan. I'm a 20 year old male college student and I just started getting anxiety attacks last december. I have never had anxiety attacks before but I've always been a worry wart. The first one was when I was driving to the store with a friend of mine. It was midnight and I had just gotten off work. Half way to the store I started to feel weird. Like something wasn't right. Then I got a feeling of impending doom and like I was going to pass out and die. My heart started racing and I told my friend that I felt sick and I needed to pull over. I had him call paramedics cause I thought I was having a heart attack or a stroke and had never experienced anything like it before. Luckily he is a med student so he was very calm with me. The paramedics came and took my blood pressure and said it was normal. They asked if I was on drugs and just made me feel crazy. I had called my mom and said that I loved her and thought that I might die. I told her the situation and she said I was probably just having an anxiety attack. That was actually kind of comforting cause I never took anxiety into consideration. I didn't even really know what an anxiety attack was. That night and the next few days I had constant anxiety attacks until I was able to finally control it a little. Now I still have anxiety and the have been diagnosed with general anxiety cause the past few months I have been kind of in denial that its anxiety I'm having. I had been thinking that I had a brain tumor or something but everyone has been convincing me that it is just anxiety. I can't afford an mri. I don't have insurance. I have only had a couple anxiety attacks since the first ones but in the time that I haven't had attacks, I have still been having general anxiety. I have been thinking about it constantly. I have good days and bad days. usually I will have a couple weeks where I'm fine and then a few days where I'm not. I'll have days where I feel light headed and dizzy all day and am thinking, "am I going to have an anxiety attack today?" or "what's wrong with me? Is this really anxiety?" But I know that it is anxiety. I was proscribed lexapro from my doctor. I haven't been wanting to take pills cause I've heard bad things about them but my aunt who has anxiety/depression convinced me that It would be ok. She has been taking pills for years and has only had minimal problems. So I started 2 days ago. The first day I was fine. I feel like I felt them though but I'm not sure if thats just me thinking about it. I had work that day and was fine. Yesterday though, I had work as well and 10 minutes into working I started to have a bad anxiety attack. I work at buffalo wild wings. Its a big sports bar with lots of people and tv's and very lout music. All of this is very stressful for me. I hate working there but can't afford not to. My attack started with me feeling lightheaded/dizzy and then I got a weird burning sensation that started in my head and went down my body and even into my throat and tongue. I told my boss that I had to leave because I was having a bad anxiety attack. I don't think he knows what that is so he seemed confused but he let me go anyways. I hadn't eaten much that day either. I went home and relaxed and I was ok but I was embarrassed and still lightheaded. I also felt very exhausted. I'm on day three of the pills today and hoping that I will be ok today. I just want my anxiety to go away. Sometimes I don't even know why I have the attacks. It sucks :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
    Robocat
    (female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User
    Re: Me, myself and anxiety

Have you looked into yoga? My therapist suggested looking up hatha yoga technique videos online or at the library. Once you get the hang of it, you can control your anxiety. Just a suggestion!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
    Piko
    (female)

Piko HB User

When you experienced your first panic attack I felt like it was me talking about mine. I too thought I was dying and called the paramedics myself as I was driving home. I was also ready to call my parents and say good bye to them because I thought I was dying. It's been 8 years now since that day. I have good days and bad days but in time I was able to realize that it's just anxiety. I am also in therapy which helps me alot as well. Do you have a counselor you can talk to? Hang in there it will get better.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
    Jsnow
    (male)

Jsnow HB User

Hey Keegan,

Sorry to hear about your attacks. I went through the exact same thing you did about 4 years ago. I was at the gym and left early because I did not feel right. I felt dizzy, short of breath and light headed. As I was driving home, I got stuck behind a bus. The bus was not moving as it was letting people on and off and sat through an entire traffic light. For some reason, I became very irritated and the thing I knew, I was having a full blown attack (my first one). I felt like I was having a heart attack. My heart rate was sky high. My legs and arms went numb. I felt the life draining from me and I honestly thought I was going to die in my car, stuck behind a bus. Long story short, I called 911. I went to the hospital where everything checked out fine.

Ever since that attack, I have been on anti-anxiety meds. I'm still trying to find the right one that works best for me as I still suffer daily. I would encourage you to continue with Lexapro. It can actually make your anxiety worse before it gets better but don't quit. Give it time to work. It may take several weeks if not several months for you to feel the effects.

Take comfort in knowing that your symptoms are very common of anxiety. Almost everyone on this board would probably agree. While it does suck, there is a good chance you will get better and learn to live with having anxiety in your life.

I wish you well.....

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, anxiety attack, burning sensation