It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L3,L4,L5,S1 with nerve compression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
    alida1234
    (female)

alida1234 HB User
    Re: L3,L4,L5,S1 with nerve compression

[QUOTE=teteri66;5219101]It is the spine surgeon's version of the plumber's "roto-rooter." They just go into the foramina and grind out all the gunk that is filling in the sides of the opening -- but this is only for those who have foraminal stenosis, and that is the reason for their nerve compression.

It is routinely done in most fusion procedures as part of the surgery...but it can be done by itself.

How are you doing??[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
    alida1234
    (female)

alida1234 HB User

[QUOTE=alida1234;5219246][/QUOTE]

Something wacky is going on with my computer....I am ok...still nerve pain. I am going to accupuncture on Thursday and going for a second opinion soon. Not sure what can be done but I want to make sure nothing was missed. Now my neck is hurting!!! Any thoughts on the use of a Kendall while laying on my bed???? I try to keep my neck level!!! Ugh!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Luckily I don't have much cervical experience, so can't offer any good tips. You want to be sure that the back's curves are supported, and it is important that you do not carry your head forward...this goes for pushing it forward too when sitting. I think my recliner is pushing mine a little bit forward.

Do you use that traction position I must have told you about -- the lying on the floor on back, feet flat on floor, knees bent, arms close to sides with palms facing up to the ceiling...and then breathing deeply from the belly? It is one of the best things you can do to help draw your spine back into alignment.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
    jessica332
    (female)

jessica332 HB User

Thanks everyone for all the input, I had my pre-op appt yesterday with my neurosurgeon. He gave me like 5 scripts for after the surgery, he said he didn't wanna give me any distorted expectations and that I will be in a lot of pain for 2-3 weeks post surgery. I'M REALLY SCARED!!!!! I am currently taking 7.5/500 oxycodone 3 times a day for pain, 6mg of Zanaflex 2 times a day, neurontin 600mg 3 times a day. AND that's just the medication for my injury. He gave me scripts for 2 mg dilaudid every 8 hours, oxycodone 10/625 3 times a day and he upped my Zanaflex to 6mg 4 times a day, and 30mg of restoril to help me sleep and then plenty of steroids. I thought I would feel relief after surgery???? I am happy he is going to do whatever he feels to control my pain. But do you all think that's a lot?

I am feeling extremely nervous and anxious about surgery, I am going to be intibated during surgery and then have a drain put in my back for about a week after surgery. My surgeon is 2.5 hours away and its going to be car rides every week back and forth for a month. And he told me not to have any unrealistic expectations etc. I am so trying to stay Positive, but I feel like I am falling apart!!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to jessica332:
    Beedy Bo (09-10-2013)
    Closed Thread