It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5-S1 vs Sacroiliac Joint Pain and other issues in a Runner

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #31
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: L5-S1 vs Sacroiliac Joint Pain and other issues in a Runner

Hi pO506! Long time no "see"! Bummer news, im sorry that you had to go through so much! In my case i waited 4 months before surgery & it took 6-12 months before all the nerve numbness healed. You are still early post op & the nerves send very different sensations while coming back to life & your leg nerve pain was so very very severe, it could take awhile before you feel it return to normal & if the gabapentin helps in the meanwhile thats good. My back had a deep ache too, oh i can still remember. My NS gave me a piece of good advice, Imagine your recovery like you are stacking blocks. Slow & steady & it builds up, go too fast & you knock all the blocks down & now you have to start all over again. I did this sooo many times! PT really helped me gain stamina & strength back after being down for so long & helped the pain slowly but surely. My therapist wasnt one that made me hurt the next day but maybe because i was a terrible PT patient! I was really scared, had many pre conceived notions & made them call my dr for every little thing i thought was too much! Because you are an athelete im sure you will like it. What does your dr say about the burning in your foot, is it your left foot? The ESI's were uneventful as far as severe pain or numbness afterwards? What kind of timetable did the surgeon give you for a full recovery? It just takes time for the nerves to heal & patience while recovering but you will get there! Thanks for the update & let us know how you are doing & hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #32
    p0506img
    (male)

p0506img HB User
    Re: L5-S1 vs Sacroiliac Joint Pain and other issues in a Runner

[QUOTE=gmak;5229695]Hi pO506! Long time no "see"! Bummer news, im sorry that you had to go through so much! In my case i waited 4 months before surgery & it took 6-12 months before all the nerve numbness healed. You are still early post op & the nerves send very different sensations while coming back to life & your leg nerve pain was so very very severe, it could take awhile before you feel it return to normal & if the gabapentin helps in the meanwhile thats good. My back had a deep ache too, oh i can still remember. My NS gave me a piece of good advice, Imagine your recovery like you are stacking blocks. Slow & steady & it builds up, go too fast & you knock all the blocks down & now you have to start all over again. I did this sooo many times! PT really helped me gain stamina & strength back after being down for so long & helped the pain slowly but surely. My therapist wasnt one that made me hurt the next day but maybe because i was a terrible PT patient! I was really scared, had many pre conceived notions & made them call my dr for every little thing i thought was too much! Because you are an athelete im sure you will like it. What does your dr say about the burning in your foot, is it your left foot? The ESI's were uneventful as far as severe pain or numbness afterwards? What kind of timetable did the surgeon give you for a full recovery? It just takes time for the nerves to heal & patience while recovering but you will get there! Thanks for the update & let us know how you are doing & hang in there![/QUOTE]

GMAK, thanks so much for your response. Even though 6-12 months is an awful long time (especially for someone like me who's used to being real active) it's encouraging to hear that there may be a time when I'll feel better. Yes the burning is in my left foot and since I've restarted and increased the gabapentin it seems to be better...mostly just pins and needles. My doctor really said nothing specific except that it's in the dermatome of L5 nerve root which is the one he cleared the impinging herniation and that the feet often take the longest time to improve. A possible confounding factor is that I have a central disc protrusion mildly pressing on S1 but he knew that and didn't think it was causing my symptoms. I also have other "stuff" related to degenerative disease and he says the surgery may have aggravated that and might take longer to settle down. He really didn't give me a timetable and I'm scheduled to see him in 3 months unless I get worse again. Thanks again GMAC>

Closed Thread