It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low Ferritin - Multivitamin with Iron ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User
    Low Ferritin - Multivitamin with Iron ?

I got my recent test results with Ferritin and Iron profile.

FERRITIN 19 (Was 15 in May and 8 in Feb)

IRON 128 37 - 170 mcg/dl
    TIBC 418 240 - 430 mcg/dl
    % SATURATION 31 15 - 50 %

It seems like my ferritin is going up slowly and my hemoglobin and the Iron profile is looking good. I have been taking a slow release Iron 45 mg every other day since it upsets my stomach. My doctor said that at this time I am ok to take just a women's multivitamin with 18mg of Iron in it.

Just wanted to get an opinion if the Iron in Multivitamins even works ? I have read that it won't be absorbed well since multivitamin also has calcium in it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good multivitamin with Iron ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
    vegator
    (male)

vegator HB Uservegator HB Uservegator HB Uservegator HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin - Multivitamin with Iron ?

I agree that your iron profile seems to look OK. Ferritin can vary a lot between people, for example with inflammation (e.g. someone suffering from active RA) a ferritin of 50 can still mean iron deficiency, a ferritin level of about 20 isnīt that bad if you have no inflammation.

When I had iron deficiency, I took a multivitamin with 10mg iron with orange juice (which helps iron absorption) which was sufficient to fix the deficiency. However, since Iīm male my iron requirement is lower, so your mileage may vary.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vegator View Post
    I agree that your iron profile seems to look OK. Ferritin can vary a lot between people, for example with inflammation (e.g. someone suffering from active RA) a ferritin of 50 can still mean iron deficiency, a ferritin level of about 20 isnīt that bad if you have no inflammation.

When I had iron deficiency, I took a multivitamin with 10mg iron with orange juice (which helps iron absorption) which was sufficient to fix the deficiency. However, since Iīm male my iron requirement is lower, so your mileage may vary.
    So, a multivitamin did increase your iron levels ? Can I ask what multivitamin did you take ? I have read on the forums that people don't actually start feeling better until they reach a ferritin level of 40 or so. While I do feel better than before, I still have fatigue and occasional light headedness.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
    vegator
    (male)

vegator HB Uservegator HB Uservegator HB Uservegator HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowbell60 View Post
    So, a multivitamin did increase your iron levels ? Can I ask what multivitamin did you take ? I have read on the forums that people don't actually start feeling better until they reach a ferritin level of 40 or so. While I do feel better than before, I still have fatigue and occasional light headedness.
    It was a generic store-brand multi-vitamin with about 100% RDA amounts of most vitamins. The level of ferritin that is sufficient depends on the person though.

I just glanced through some of your other posts and noticed you have had some GI issues and other symptoms and eat vegetarian. In that case it is important to look closely at your vitamin B12 level as a possible cause of some of your symptoms because thereīs not much B12 in vegetarian food. GI issues can make you prone to a deficiency of B12 and anti-acid medication can also reduce absorption of vitamin B12. Fatigue and light-headednesses can be a symptom of it.

The amount of vitamin B12 in standard multivitamins and most B-complex is too small to make a difference. If you are deficient, you need B12 injections or high-dose B12 supplements. Vitamin B12 deficiency can be hard to diagnose though since some people with blood levels in the normal range can still be deficient.

By the way, I would not take both a multivitamin and a B-complex, since the multivitamin already contains B vitamins. Lots of foods and grains are already fortified with B vitamins so most people already get enough of them (except for B12). Too much folic acid can make symptoms worse if you are deficient in vitamin B12.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
    Smargie
    (female)

Smargie HB User

Hi snowbelle60...

Your numbers do look good!

Last June my ferritin was at a 5. Six weeks later it went up to a 5.7, and then a few weeks ago it was up to 26, with all other levels back in the normal range.

The only treatment my hematologist ever prescribed was Flintstone vitamins with iron. One pill has 18 mg of iron. I take 2, as the doc would like to see my ferritin get up to 100.

So...there's a doctor approved recommendation for you.

Closed Thread