It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Very low ferritin, need advice.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
    AprilHead
    (male)

AprilHead HB User
    Very low ferritin, need advice.

For starters, I want to apologise for my broken english. I'm 19 years old and I had one problem for years. I could never restore myself fully, I was always tired both physically and mentally, couldn't concentrate in school and that really bugged me, because I'm a good student and I wanted to do good in my lessons and exams. Also, my hair started receding slowly in a male pattern shape and I blamed my fathers genes thinking thats the case. However, my father hadn't had his hair starting to fall out before age of 30 I guess and I'm 19 years old and my hair looks like his at age of 40.

So recently, I've heard that all these symptoms could be a case of hidden anemia so I've made a blood test. The results showed that iron in the blood is ok and everything else seems to be good, however I have very low ferritin.. Can anyone enlighten me about my situation, whats my condition, can i restore my hair and lessen fatigue and how do I do it?

Results of blood test:

Iron umol/l 18,00(11 - 28 is the normal value)
    Ferritin ug/l 14,56(30 - 400 is the normal value)

I also have the other things like leukocytes and erythrocytes, but everything else seems to be in the normal range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Very low ferritin, need advice.

Your low ferritin suggests you are iron deficient (your body's stores of iron are low) even though your blood count and serum iron level is in normal range. Supplementing your iron should help get your stores of iron replenished and help you feel better. It may or may not affect your hair. Actually your Mother's genes determine male pattern baldness. It will take a few months of regular iron supplementation to replenish your iron stores, so a ferritin should be checked again in 3 months or so to make sure it is at least coming up. Vit C helps iron be absorbed, so taking 500mg Vit C along with the iron will help.

Closed Thread