It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board

• weird jumpy vision??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User
    Question weird jumpy vision??

Can anyone please help me with this?

In 2006 I got dizzy and was left with feeling off balance. It eventually went away, but I was left with vision issues which has since gotten worse.

I started getting static in my vision and afterimages, which I learned was visual snow. I also was diagnosed with basilar migraines.

I started getting off balance late last year and was sent for vestibular rehab as they said I had bilateral disfunction. After doing the treatment for several months I got better however my vision got worse.

When I walk I notice in my peripheral vision that things are jerking and shaking. Worse of all is when I am driving or sitting at a light and watching cars pass they either look like they are going 100 mph and my eyes can't keep up, or it looks like they are jerking, or shaking, struggling to move in fluid motion. I am so scared about this getting worse and I don't know what to do. None of the Dr's know what to do either. I do not have a nystagmus as I have recorded my vision and do not see one... I do have one if I look to the far left or far right, however.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
    vincenzo1986
    (male)

vincenzo1986 HB User
    Re: weird jumpy vision??

Well, I can some what relate because I have shaky vision, but mine sweeps left to right and I have no visible nystagmus as well. Again doctor's don't know why but if there isn't evidence of nystagmus, more than likely, in my opinion which I'm not a physician, is that it's something wrong with the brain. MAV, or migraine associated vertigo, is something you may want to look into. If it makes you feel any better I started dealing with visual snow, after images, and floaters all together in 2003. They have gotten worse slightly over the years so I'm not sure what that means. I have had tons of testing with blood work, MRIs, evoked potentials, a lot. More than likely I've seen almost every kind of physician possible without any answers at this point. I saw something a long time ago about Ambient Visual Disorder or something along those lines. Don't give up, just hang in there.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Hi, thanks for writing me! When you look at moving objects does it sweep back and fourth really fast? That is how mine is but very subtly. I have thought about MAV since this started with dizziness and got worse with vestibular rehab.

How do you cope? I have stopped driving and hate going on long trips

Thanks!!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Oh and I forgot to ask you how did your vs start for you? I started getting trails in 2009 after stopping an antidepressant but had blue entropic stuff and floaters before that so I think it just slowly got worse for me and continues. I was part of a Visual snow study in California so I am hoping they figure out the vs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vincenzo1986 View Post
    Well, I can some what relate because I have shaky vision, but mine sweeps left to right and I have no visible nystagmus as well. Again doctor's don't know why but if there isn't evidence of nystagmus, more than likely, in my opinion which I'm not a physician, is that it's something wrong with the brain. MAV, or migraine associated vertigo, is something you may want to look into. If it makes you feel any better I started dealing with visual snow, after images, and floaters all together in 2003. They have gotten worse slightly over the years so I'm not sure what that means. I have had tons of testing with blood work, MRIs, evoked potentials, a lot. More than likely I've seen almost every kind of physician possible without any answers at this point. I saw something a long time ago about Ambient Visual Disorder or something along those lines. Don't give up, just hang in there.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
    vincenzo1986
    (male)

vincenzo1986 HB User

I'm so sorry for the delay, I have't received much feedback on healthboards so I'm more active else where. I first noticed after images in 2004, then shortly after I started seeing the blue entophic stars. They have gotten more pronounces through the years. It makes me wonder if this is visual snow. My issue is whatever I am looking at will subtly distort and sweep, usually left to right. Sometimes fast, and sometimes slower. When I look at words, they seem to wave about , not necessarily together. Like they are floating in soup. Sometimes pieces of the words look like they are moving at me, sort of like partial 3D. My eyes actually shake very slightly when I open them very wide, it's weird.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

So you see static? Or afterimages? If not I wouldn't say visual snow but def. some perception issue. Have you heard or Irlen syndrome? I have most of the symptoms you have, but I had those long before the static. I think they came along with depersonalization. I don't have the sweeping vision but something similar when I move my head and try to watch a moving object.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vincenzo1986 View Post
    I'm so sorry for the delay, I have't received much feedback on healthboards so I'm more active else where. I first noticed after images in 2004, then shortly after I started seeing the blue entophic stars. They have gotten more pronounces through the years. It makes me wonder if this is visual snow. My issue is whatever I am looking at will subtly distort and sweep, usually left to right. Sometimes fast, and sometimes slower. When I look at words, they seem to wave about , not necessarily together. Like they are floating in soup. Sometimes pieces of the words look like they are moving at me, sort of like partial 3D. My eyes actually shake very slightly when I open them very wide, it's weird.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
    vincenzo1986
    (male)

vincenzo1986 HB User

I see. I see after images, I have for a long time now. I also see the little moving sparkles when I look at the sky or at this white computer screen. They are everywhere! I also have floaters as well.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
    goingeast
    (male)

goingeast HB User

My vision issues have not been the same as you describe, but I just wanted to write to tell you I think vision issues are par for the course with vestibular disorders, because all of these different systems of the body are related in a way I never understood until I got vn. Vision, proprioceptors in the muscles, ear, brain - I never knew how many things work together to give us a sense of correct balance, and when one of those systems gets out of whack it seems to cause problems with the others too.
    I couldn't see normally until about 3 months after my original vertigo attack. During that time I was very scared I'd never see normally again. I had very severe oscillopsia. Now I sometimes get blurry vision and have the feeling I can't focus, especially at night or when I am tired.
    Have you seen another therapist for rehabilitation and explained your vision problems and asked if there is some kind of therapy/exercises that can help with them?
    The Cawthorne Cooksey exercises which are easy to find on the web include eye movements and there are other balance exercises for focus and so on. But I think a personalized program from a balance therapist who can tailor exercises to your symptoms would help the most in the long run.
    Maybe there are therapists who work more specifically with visual problems that would be better for you than a balance therapist and you could probably get referred if so. I'd probably start by explaining your visual problems to a balance therapist though since your problems seem to have originated with a vestibular issue.

p.s.
    google "vision challenges vestibular.org" There is a link to a pdf file that contains very good information about vision problems as they relate to vestibular disorders.
    good luck.

Last edited by goingeast; 01-17-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
    Candi1006
    Inactive
    (female)

Candi1006 HB User

Hi, going east!

Thanks for the reply!

I am seeing a vision therapist now. She thinks I could do for getting some special lenses out into my glasses before starting the therapy process. She also suspects the vestibular rehab I was doing worsened my vision, since I didn't have the vision issues until I had just completed the vestibular therapy.

All of this is so strange. I can't find anyone who has my exact symptoms lol... Makes me wonder what exactly is going on in his head of mine haha.

My next step is to go to a local university to get vision testing, balance testing and whatever else I may need again just to see if something has changed. I wish some would would just say "here is a magic pill that restore your balance and your vision immediately"...

I will update on this thread at any cost if something changes.

Thanks again for your reply.

Closed Thread