It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Help! Ferriting dropping rapidly despite high iron diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
    KSV
    (female)

KSV HB User
    Help! Ferriting dropping rapidly despite high iron diet

Hi All,
    I went to see a derm because of hair loss. She tested my Ferritin and it was at 19, which she believed was most likely the culprit. She prescribed iron pills, but I was hesitatnt about the side effects and so she agreed to let me try changing my diet first. I had been almost vegitarian for the last year or two so I figured that was the main cause of my low ferretin and I figured that if I drastically changed my diet, I should be able to bring it up at least a little. Anyway, for the past 5 weeks I have been getting TONS of iron in my diet (several servings of red meat and clams per day, eaten with vitamin C) I also cut out caffeine, alcohol, dairy and anything else that might inhibit absorption. After being on the mega iron diet for 5 weeks, my ferrtin has DROPPED from 19 to 6! I'm really confused. I should also mention that the birth control pill I am on makes my periods very light to almost non-existant, so I'm not losing blood every month like many women.

My doc says I just need to take the iron pills, and that I just am not getting enough from my diet. And I am willing to start the pills, but I'm worried that there may be something else going on here. I mentioned possible GI bleed, Celiacs, etc but she really doesn't think I have any of these conditions. She just said take the pills and if they don't help, she'll refer me to a hemotologist.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? I'm not opposed to taking the pills, but I just feel like such a rapid drop in ferritin for no reason has to mean that something else is going on. My doc disagrees and says I'm just not getting enough iron. Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
    Jenjo5454
    (female)

Jenjo5454 HB User
    Re: Help! Ferriting dropping rapidly despite high iron diet

I would suggest taking the pills. I started losing hair in July & went to my doctor & then finally a dermatologist. My ferritin was at 13. I'm not vegetarian, but eat little red meat. I thought I was getting enough iron from other things in my diet (grains, cereal, etc), but it wasn't enough. I had been taking over the counter iron pills for months because my doctor said I had low iron, but those weren't enough to keep my levels up. She had me increase to 2 pills and over 3 months my level went up to 23. The last time she gave me a prescription for iron pills. I go back tomorrow to have my level tested again (and I'm hoping it went up by more than 10 points).

There could be something that is making your levels go down or stopping you from absorbing iron (I've read about excess yeast in your system using up all the iron), but I think you need to try the pills first to see if that helps. I had no side effects from the ones I got over the counter. The prescription pills gave me major stomach aches/heartburn on & off for the first few weeks, but that went away eventually. For all I know I may have some other problem that isn't allowing me to absorb iron, but I'm going to keep on the pills for a while to try to get the level up/ stop hair loss.

Closed Thread