It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Ranitidine Cold Turkey - Ongoing Gastritis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
    karen561
    (female)

karen561 HB User
    Re: Ranitidine Cold Turkey - Ongoing Gastritis

Hi Savannah, glad to hear your still going strong. Don't give up if possible. I do believe you will be able to eat more the longer you go, stomach has to get back to "normal" or as normal as possible. I understand about cooking two separate meals. I make my supper and then something more yummy for my husband. I went a little wild yesterday and suffered last night, I know now I can't do that! Even though I'm not on every day you still have my support and prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #17
    Savannah1992
    (female)

Savannah1992 HB User
    Angry Re: Ranitidine Cold Turkey - Ongoing Gastritis

DAY 14 UPDATE (2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!)

Hello everybody.

it has been 14days and 14nights since I have 'quit' ranitidine. I have not take any anta-acids since then (not even gaviscon etc). But now I feel the pain in my stomach from drinking freaking water WATER!?!

I'm starting to worry a bit, shall I 'fight this off' or am I just doing more harm than good while my stomach slowly erodes itself? Am I going to regret this?

I am waiting on a couple more home kit helicobactor tests which should arrive today (although no sign yet & 3pm...) I have been trying to call my GPs to get a repeat stool test for helicobactor too but I've tried several times throughout the day (bearing in mind I am at work) and no answer/engaged. Getting frustrated and losing hope - I quit ranitidine so I could be tested for helicobactor and now I can't get hold of a test.

I'll let you know if anything happens, but I'm starting to worry I'm doing more harm than good here.............

Savannah x

Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi Savannah, this takes TIME! I know how easy it is to get dispondent but you will get back to normal, in time. You must be patient, knowing that in the long run you will be better off.

If you are really worried about erosion, you could request an endoscopy to look in your stomach - have you had one?

I also understand how difficult it is to maintain normal relationships. I didn't have a partner, but I lost several friends through them not understanding the pain I was in and them judging me on my irrational behaviour.

Please partners, please know what this does to you. The pain, the effects of the drugs, the lack of not being free to eat what you want, the lack of energy.

PS, water hurt me too. I only drink boiled water. I drink it warm/ hottish as this also helps you to burp and get rid of some of the gas!

Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #19
    Savannah1992
    (female)

Savannah1992 HB User

Hi Kacy, thanks again for your words of encouragement, it's easy to get frustrated and impatient as you know. In regards to erosion, I was worried that being off ranitidine was maybe doing more harm than good? & that my stomach acid was eating away at my stomach & I'm not really healing at all?Am I healing or am I damaging myself even more.

DAY 15 UPDATE:

15 days (the longest time in 5 years) without ranitidine and without any alcohol or anything really except fruit and veg (and even that is seriously monitored). I am feeling okayish, developing a fear of eating anything that isn't 100% alkaline which is worrying me a bit.

A couple of thoughts on my mind right now:-

1) Am I healing or am I damaging myself even more?
    2) When can I start introducing 'normal' foods back into my diet?
    (by normal I mean healthy foods, not MacDonald's and steak - quit all that years ago)

Good (?) news is that I managed to get hold of a stool test sample pot and get hold of my GP surgery. I handed in the sample this morning (cringy - I put it in an envelope, but receptionist insisted on taking it out and erm, well, staring at it in disgust for a while and then quizzed me and the finally agreed to send it for testing)- what's done is done! hoping my doctor is aware that I quit ranitidine 2 weeks prior to this sample - I told the receptionist but doubt she's passed message on - hoping it still gets tested and doesn't get lost. Also hope it comes back negative (again!) so we can finally, after 5 negative results, rule out helicobacter. Results take about a week.

-Hope everyone else is 'coping' and I hope I'm not putting too many people off quitting H2 blockers! I just need someone (anyone) to tell me that I'm going to get better and wont have to take ranitidine for the rest of my life, or live in fear of gastritis coming back over and over again forever. no doubt these things take time, but how much time, it's been going on 5 years...

Much Love Savannah x

Old 03-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #20
    Savannah1992
    (female)

Savannah1992 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by karen561 View Post
    Hi Savannah, glad to hear your still going strong. Don't give up if possible. I do believe you will be able to eat more the longer you go, stomach has to get back to "normal" or as normal as possible. I understand about cooking two separate meals. I make my supper and then something more yummy for my husband. I went a little wild yesterday and suffered last night, I know now I can't do that! Even though I'm not on every day you still have my support and prayers.
    Hi Karen,

Many thanks for your kind words & prayers, I really appreciate it.
    Sorry to hear about your suffering last night, what did you eat?
    Kindest regards, Savannah x

Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #21
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Savannah1992 View Post

A couple of thoughts on my mind right now:-

1) Am I healing or am I damaging myself even more?
    2) When can I start introducing 'normal' foods back into my diet?
    (by normal I mean healthy foods, not MacDonald's and steak - quit all that years ago)
    The answer to the first question is difficult to answer because the hyperacidity when stopping ranitidine can cause inflammation (gastritis), but at the same time you are trying to heal. I would say hang in there, unless you feel you are getting worse. As I have said you need to give it time. Don't worry about food phobias or anything like that at all for now. Just accept you can't eat normal food for now and then you don't have to think about it.

I would say you need to wait at least 6 months and then if you feel 100% better you can eat your normal diet. In the mean time you can introduce more foods carefully selecting what you eat all the time.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #22
    Savannah1992
    (female)

Savannah1992 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
    The answer to the first question is difficult to answer because the hyperacidity when stopping ranitidine can cause inflammation (gastritis), but at the same time you are trying to heal. I would say hang in there, unless you feel you are getting worse. As I have said you need to give it time. Don't worry about food phobias or anything like that at all for now. Just accept you can't eat normal food for now and then you don't have to think about it.

I would say you need to wait at least 6 months and then if you feel 100% better you can eat your normal diet. In the mean time you can introduce more foods carefully selecting what you eat all the time.
    -Hi again Kacy, thanks for your advice, you're right in just having to accept things rather than fighting this all the time. I guess if things get really bad I'll have to make a decision whether I need to go back onto ranitidine, although I hope it'll never come to that. Although, I hope I'm kind of over the worst now (maybe wishful thinking) - It's been 17 days & I can start really healing x

Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #23
    Savannah1992
    (female)

Savannah1992 HB User
    Question Re: Ranitidine Cold Turkey - Ongoing Gastritis

DAY SIXTEEN UPDATE:

Hello Everyone,

sixteen days since my last ranitidine & feeling okay-ish although have had some under-the-rib pain and indigestion on/off for the past couple of days.
    A bit concerned about the weekend coming up & THREE of my friends birthday's! My friend's (& partner) are all heavy drinkers and tomorrow, Friday & Saturday I have been invited out for, what I can only assume, will be very heavy nights (for them!!) . Therefore, it is going to be extremely difficult to not drink, especially with people buying me drinks/offering/noticing I haven't got one. I don't want people to think I'm pregnant lol! & will I still have fun, be able to relax? hmmmmm......

Thinking of...and nobody is going to like this....maybe... trying...a bit of alcohol. it'll probably be awful but at least then I've proved to myself that I cannot drink at the moment. I've done some research (over the years) about less-acidic alcohol for people with gastritis/GERD etc & there's sooooo many conflicting views. Some people say red wine is okay, some say wine is very acidic, some people say spirits are better/some say spirits should be avoided. Some people even saying that alcohol 'helps' their symptoms (!!??! if only!).

So I've been taking DGL & slippery elm the past couple of weeks, as you know, & had quite a good appetite the past couple of days, (better than the past couple of weeks anyways) - but now I've just eaten lunch and the upper back pain and burning are back ! wahhhhhh!

Much Love Savannah x

Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #24
    Savannah1992
    (female)

Savannah1992 HB User

Hello everyone.

Day seventeen update:

I’m sorry to announce, last night, I did the deed & took a 300mg ranitidine. I have been so miserable and living in constant fear an anxiety I just thought I’d put myself out my misery and take one. I’ve been reading too many horror stories about people developing stomach ulcers and then the ulcers exploding and people dying from septicaemia etc etc (extreme, I know).
    -
    The initial idea was to quit ranitidine so I could take a stool sample (have to be clear of ranitidine for 2 weeks prior to taking one, which I have done). Now I’d like to really concentrate on healing, with the aid of ranitidine. Please bear on mind Ranitidine (zantac) is a H2 blocker and not a PPI.

Can I please explain that I will still be fighting chronic gastritis and despite taking ranitidine, I will still be abiding by a strict diet and hopefully over-come chronic gastritis forever. As mentioned, taking ranitidine for 5 years has in no-way ‘healed’ my gastritis. I will still update you and I do hope, once I have finished this course of ranitidine to gradually cut down and hopefully be rid of it soon enough. The ‘ranitidine cold turkey’ was extreme but necessary at the time.

I will still be taking slippery elm, vital greens, DGL & aloe vera daily.

I hope people are still interested in my recovery. I don’t feel that I am ‘cheating’ as I’m taking ranitidine. I do not think ‘oh well I’m on ranitidine now I can go on a bender’ (which may have crossed my mind over the years). Now I respect my body even more and plan on eating ‘clean’ for the rest of my life.
    Much love, Savannah

Last edited by Administrator; 03-27-2014 at 09:37 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Savannah1992
    kacyc (03-27-2014),karen561 (03-31-2014)
    Closed Thread