It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• MRI before or after neuro appt?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
    mindi111
    (female)

mindi111 HB Usermindi111 HB Usermindi111 HB User
    MRI before or after neuro appt?

I have my appt with my neurologist in June, but I don't have an MRI scheduled for before that. I am thinking I would like another MRI to see what's going on with my lesions, but wouldn't it be silly to see my dr, then have an MRI, then have to go back to see him again to discuss the results? Should I call the office and ask for a MRI for beforehand? Not even sure I could get in for one this close to the appt, things take months up here in Canada.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: MRI before or after neuro appt?

Thats one of those things that we usually have to roll the dice on. In the US, insurance companies sometimes balk at having to do a MRI without reason- therefore, we are sometimes forced to see our doctors, before we can get the test done....other insurance companies are more lenient, and if they allow once a year (or twice a year MRIs) our doctors will coordinate them with our visits to get the test done first.
    Im not sure how it works in Canada, or how long you will have to wait....that being said, if you dont get the test done before this visit- how long will it take to get in to see your doctor afterwards? If its going to take months- by all means, push for the MRI first....then again, how are you feeling over all and how long ago was your last MRI?
    If your doctor suspects that you need an MRI to check on things, if that is being mentioned already, push to get the test done asap and push back the appointment. If your doctor isnt giving you reason to hurry up and get the MRI, dont worry about it. Once he gets the test results, if there is anything horribly important to discuss with you, youll get a phone call to get in quickly to see the doctor. Remember, the MRI is a diagnostic tool, its more important to base how you are feeling, what symptoms you are experiencing and how you are functioning- than what the MRI says. If I went by my MRI, Id be bed bound and curled up in a ball for the past 8 years. They get worse everytime I go....but I feel fine, function fine- and complain never....therefore, I try NOT to get a test. It only depresses me and confuses my doctor! (wink)

Does that help?
    NIkki

Last edited by Administrator; 12-04-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: MRI before or after neuro appt?

Not having to work through the Canadian Health System, I would only advise you to speak to the neurologist to see if they have a preference or if they can fit you into the queue. Your doctor or patient advocate can best assist you.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by Administrator; 12-04-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Closed Thread