It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Please help! Low ferritin and %saturation... weak?? solgar gentle iron?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
    Aem08
    (female)

Aem08 HB User
    Question Please help! Low ferritin and %saturation... weak?? solgar gentle iron?

Hi everyone. I have been so so sick. My dr even admitted me to the hospital for a week thinking I had MS. But everything came out ok. I do have hashimotos which I'm on meds for. My iron % saturation and ferritin were both low. My rbc goes from barely low to normal but my dr said it's just due to menstruating.

I am dizzy, low resting heart rate but shoots up high (120-150) even just walking around the house. Full cardiac workup..heart is ok.

Exhausted...can. Barely stay awake or function.

Headaches, severe sensitivity to light and sound as well as head pressure.

Always cold, thought it was thyroid.

Muscle twitches. Toes, legs, eyelids, temple.

Anxiety, seems to worsen as I'm tired

Can low ferritin and % saturation cause this?

I bought some solgar gentlemiron. It's 25 mg I think. My friend says she takes 5 a day for anemia but that seems high. any advice on how much to take?

My ferritin was 11 and % saturation was 13 and iron was 49.

Thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
    Aem08
    (female)

Aem08 HB User
    Re: Please help! Low ferritin and %saturation..weak??solgar gentle iron?

Anyone?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
    Cyneva27xoxo
    (female)

Cyneva27xoxo HB User

Definitly anemia... I am anemic and I have these symptoms. My iron is low so I need to take iron supplement... It takes at least 6 weeks for my case to make it return back to normal. You should talk to your doctor about it and so your anxiety.. Trust me, it will help you a lot if you let it all out : emotions, fears, etc... Your anxiety will not help! So take a little break and take some times to breath, very important ! I have anxiety problems, but I need to learn how to control them. You were admitted, so if you feel like something is wrong, go talk to a doctor fast. The faster, the better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cyneva27xoxo For This Useful Post:
    Aem08 (03-31-2014)
    Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cyneva27xoxo View Post
    Definitly anemia... I am anemic and I have these symptoms. My iron is low so I need to take iron supplement... It takes at least 6 weeks for my case to make it return back to normal. You should talk to your doctor about it and so your anxiety.. Trust me, it will help you a lot if you let it all out : emotions, fears, etc... Your anxiety will not help! So take a little break and take some times to breath, very important ! I have anxiety problems, but I need to learn how to control them. You were admitted, so if you feel like something is wrong, go talk to a doctor fast. The faster, the better.
    My ferritin is a 4 and I feel awful!!!! Anemia for sure.

The following user gives a hug of support to worrywort:
    Cyneva27xoxo (06-19-2014)
    Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
    Aem08
    (female)

Aem08 HB User
    Re: Please help! Low ferritin and %saturation... weak?? solgar gentle iron?

Thanks so much for the replies!! I am feeling a little better now since I've been on iron. I also started methyl folate. Between the two of them I'm much more functional!!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
    k742
    (female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User
    As the others mentioned, it's very likely those symptoms are a result of your low levels. I had rather low levels myself and had to have 3 rounds of intravenous iron infusions (years of continual bleeding throughout my cycle...) you should start to feel better one the iron supplements start kicking in!

The Following User Says Thank You to k742 For This Useful Post:
    Aem08 (04-14-2014)
    Old 04-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
    sweetpeaz
    (female)

sweetpeaz HB User

I was diagnosed with anemia on Feb. 17, 2014. I have been faithfully taking Solgar Gentle Iron 25mg since. I've had crazy symptoms. The only way I deal with them is to read about other people with low iron who have the same symptoms. I'm feeling much better, but I still have a ways to go before I'm 100%. I've just started taking two iron pills a day to see if that makes a difference. I can't get levels checked again until May. Hopefully, my ectopic heartbeats subside or quit when I'm back to normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeaz For This Useful Post:
    Aem08 (04-14-2014)
    Old 04-18-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
    k742
    (female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User
    One of the strangest symptoms I've had from the anemia is the strong desire to chew on things - pica is the official term. Most people I've heard eat ice like crazy; mine went beyond that a bit - I was constantly eating broccoli and chewing on my drinking straws. Quite odd, I'll admit!

I just had a follow up almost a year after those infusions and my levels are still low...they want me to increase my iron supplement to three 325mg a day (I'm never going to poo again!) and also get another round of infusions. I'm just frustrated because no one seems willing to address the root cause of why my hematocrit and hemoglobin are so low! I don't west to spend a small fortune on the infusions again if my body can't absorb it all. No one will tell me if it's an absorption issue, if I've depleted so much blood that my body is in constant catch-up mode, or if I'm losing that much blood because of my cyst...very frustrating! I feel like a furry little hamster just spinning in my wheel!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
    free2bme143
    (female)

free2bme143 HB User

A ferritin level below 40 will cause all of these problems...including...hair loss. Once your body hits 40 or below your body goes into survival mode and starts robbing protein from your hair follicles to make your vital organs work....

By this point your "inner machine" is so taxed that you (we) become exhausted so easily, have heart palpitations, high blood pressure, dizziness and depression.

My ferritin was 14, my mom, who is 20 years older than me is 70... so that shows you right there that anything under is too low. I have read that a level of 70 is healthy but 80 -100 is OPTIMAL! Mine is 92 now, after 11 months of hard work of eating iron rich foods, taking 300 mg iron per day, black strap molasses, exercising and drinking lots of water (also you have to take a vitamin c and L - lysine tab with your iron tab for optimal absorption and cut out tea and coffee.

All of my symptoms are gone now except that my hair shedding is still rampant! I have lost 70% of my hair..... hope that stops one day too.

The Following User Says Thank You to free2bme143 For This Useful Post:
    worrywort (04-24-2014)
    Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetpeaz View Post
    I was diagnosed with anemia on Feb. 17, 2014. I have been faithfully taking Solgar Gentle Iron 25mg since. I've had crazy symptoms. The only way I deal with them is to read about other people with low iron who have the same symptoms. I'm feeling much better, but I still have a ways to go before I'm 100%. I've just started taking two iron pills a day to see if that makes a difference. I can't get levels checked again until May. Hopefully, my ectopic heartbeats subside or quit when I'm back to normal.
    How is that iron working for you? I take nature made. It had 65 mg and I get tummy aches and diarrhea I think I would rather be constipated. My ferritin is a 7 I feel HORRIBLE!!!!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
    sweetpeaz
    (female)

sweetpeaz HB User

Its comforting to know that these symptoms will go away. Did you have the heart palpitations that make you take a deep breath every time it occurred? Do you know of another way to get rid of those while iron is being built up?

Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
    sweetpeaz
    (female)

sweetpeaz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort View Post
    How is that iron working for you? I take nature made. It had 65 mg and I get tummy aches and diarrhea I think I would rather be constipated. My ferritin is a 7 I feel HORRIBLE!!!!
    This is a non-constipating gentle iron which has helped me greatly. No stomach pains or troubles with this formula at all. I haven't missed a pill since I started taking them in Feb. According to another test done on April 16, my iron panels have increased. So the doc insisted that I keep taking this safe dosage provided I get other iron from foods.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
    sweetpeaz
    (female)

sweetpeaz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by free2bme143 View Post
    A ferritin level below 40 will cause all of these problems...including...hair loss. Once your body hits 40 or below your body goes into survival mode and starts robbing protein from your hair follicles to make your vital organs work....

By this point your "inner machine" is so taxed that you (we) become exhausted so easily, have heart palpitations, high blood pressure, dizziness and depression.

My ferritin was 14, my mom, who is 20 years older than me is 70... so that shows you right there that anything under is too low. I have read that a level of 70 is healthy but 80 -100 is OPTIMAL! Mine is 92 now, after 11 months of hard work of eating iron rich foods, taking 300 mg iron per day, black strap molasses, exercising and drinking lots of water (also you have to take a vitamin c and L - lysine tab with your iron tab for optimal absorption and cut out tea and coffee.

All of my symptoms are gone now except that my hair shedding is still rampant! I have lost 70% of my hair..... hope that stops one day too.

Did you have the heart palpitations that make you have to catch your breath? Do you know how to get rid of those while iron is built up? I can live with every other symptom but that one is scary!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
    free2bme143
    (female)

free2bme143 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetpeaz View Post
    Did you have the heart palpitations that make you have to catch your breath? Do you know how to get rid of those while iron is built up? I can live with every other symptom but that one is scary!
    Yes.. and high blood pressure...chest pain...dizziness. I once had my husband rush me to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack! unfortunately they will not go away until you get your ferritin up to about 40.

Drink a lot of oj. Take 300 mg iron per day. Two spoonfuls of blackstrap mollasses and vit c and lysine with your iron pills.

The Following User Says Thank You to free2bme143 For This Useful Post:
    sweetpeaz (05-13-2014)
    Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
    donnadb040
    (female)

donnadb040 HB Userdonnadb040 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aem08 View Post
    Hi everyone. I have been so so sick. My dr even admitted me to the hospital for a week thinking I had MS. But everything came out ok. I do have hashimotos which I'm on meds for. My iron % saturation and ferritin were both low. My rbc goes from barely low to normal but my dr said it's just due to menstruating.

I am dizzy, low resting heart rate but shoots up high (120-150) even just walking around the house. Full cardiac workup..heart is ok.

Exhausted...can. Barely stay awake or function.

Headaches, severe sensitivity to light and sound as well as head pressure.

Always cold, thought it was thyroid.

Muscle twitches. Toes, legs, eyelids, temple.

Anxiety, seems to worsen as I'm tired

Can low ferritin and % saturation cause this?

I bought some solgar gentlemiron. It's 25 mg I think. My friend says she takes 5 a day for anemia but that seems high. any advice on how much to take?

My ferritin was 11 and % saturation was 13 and iron was 49.

Thanks so much!!
    I take the Solgar Gentle Iron and I take 4 a day. You cannot compare the elemental iron in the Solgar Gentle to the Rx Iron from your dr because its a different kind of iron.

Closed Thread