It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• post LASIK haze and progressive vision worsening

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
    auroradawn
    (female)

auroradawn HB User
    post LASIK haze and progressive vision worsening

I had traditional LASIK on Jan 9 2014 on my right eye, which was +3.75 diopter, no astigmatism. At my day after visit, my diopter was read at +0.75 and was told my blurriness was from some inflammation and was normal. Over the weekend, my vision stayed about the same.

On my 1 week return visit, my vision was read on the eye chart at 20/60, and was told I had some dry spots on my eye. A plug was inserted. Then, on Friday Jan 17th, my eye began to sting and tear. I went in to be checked, and the doctor who looked at my eye (my surgeon was on vacation) read my vision at 20/100 and said I had a lot of fluid, and 2 folds. She told me that they are painful, but will resolve on their own. Over the next 3 hours, my vision began to worsen and I had pain, stinging and irritation, so I called my doctor's cell. He spoke with the doctor who had looked at my eye, and said that this was a normal fluctuation, and to stay the course with my drops. (Besivance 4x day, Durazol 4x day and Bromday 2x day).

Friday and Saturday night were awful, I would have to close my eyes for almost a half hour at a time, during which water would pour out of my eye from the pain and irritation. Today, I feel better, back to the regular dry eye irritation (which is bad enough), but my vision is getting worse and worse, and now I have a haze over everything. I can only make out shapes. It is far, far worse than immediately after surgery, and makes the 20/100 seem clear in comparison. I am very concerned. I have another follow up on Wednesday the 22nd. Should I seek a 2nd opinion at this point? I'm wondering if I am having a reaction to the steroid drops maybe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
    sdeyes
    (female)

sdeyes HB User
    Re: post LASIK haze and progressive vision worsening

I am so sorry you're going thru all of this. How are your eyes doing nowadays?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
    auroradawn
    (female)

auroradawn HB User

Thanks for the note! Turns out it was a severe case of dry eye. So dry that my eyelid was acting like an ice scraper and every time I blinked my corneal cells were eroding.

I am on Restasis now. I'm pretty disappointed as this costs me $75 for a month's supply on my insurance, because there is no generic alternative I have no other option.

I had improvement with the restasis. Now, I have stinging and blurriness when I am in a dry environment, but aside from that, good general improvement with my vision.

I would not recommend going through this based off my experience, but it is hard to argue with waking up and not reaching for glasses, even despite all this!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
    deerhuntingal
    (female)

deerhuntingal HB User

Dryness can cause a lot of issues! Get temp plugs put in as well. Restasis takes 3 months to fully start working so the plugs help in the mean time. Bust of luck in your recovery.

Last edited by deerhuntingal; 04-23-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Wrong reply

Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
    lux7
    (male)

lux7 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auroradawn View Post
    Thanks for the note! Turns out it was a severe case of dry eye. So dry that my eyelid was acting like an ice scraper and every time I blinked my corneal cells were eroding.

I am on Restasis now. I'm pretty disappointed as this costs me $75 for a month's supply on my insurance, because there is no generic alternative I have no other option.

I had improvement with the restasis. Now, I have stinging and blurriness when I am in a dry environment, but aside from that, good general improvement with my vision.

I would not recommend going through this based off my experience, but it is hard to argue with waking up and not reaching for glasses, even despite all this!
    How is it going now?
    Did you have dry eye before the surgery?

Closed Thread

Tags
    blurry after lasik, dry eye, hazy, lasik surgery side effects