It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #196
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
    Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlily View Post
    Hi Kacyc, I have now been on the 15mgs for 1 week and I so far only felt any bad symtoms was day 1 and 2. I have had some heartburn but it wasn't too bad. You asked how many particles were in one capsule of omeprazole. The one I counted there were 146 particles. Now just looking at this I think I haven't been taking out enough particles for 15mgs so I am going to rethink it and take out more for the next few days. Oh well, slowly does it for sure.
    Hi Lily, that is really good news that you are so far managing with your 15mg reduction. Hopefully you are over the worst now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #197
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Kacyc, In actual fact I have been taking around 17 1/2mgs for the last week because I calculated it wrong (I'm such a dope). However on the positive side it is way less than I was taking back in February. The doctors office called today and said all was well with the biopsies that were taken when I did the endoscopy and colonoscopy thank goodness for that at least. I am going to go in and see the doctor next week as I have a bundle of questions for him and I want some answers so that I can really move forward. I am so thankful I found this board and you were there to give me such great support through those dark days and the panic days.
    I hope you are just about off the PPI now. Have you taken the plunge yet? It is a bit scary though isn't it after relying on the medicine for a long time and then......nothing...... I think you will do fine. Just remember to stay eating the right things until you can introduce different things slowly to see how you do.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #198
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi lily, very good news about your biopsy results, at least it puts your mind at rest and you can focus on getting off the PPIs. Its probably for the best you only took 2.5 mg out and not the 5mg you thought you had reduced by, although it means you are on more than you thought, it also means less pain, and will mean you can hopefully continue to move forward without the rebound you initially had. Its odd isn't it, I had rebound every single half an milligram I reduced by, right up to the end (which is nearly there). Maybe you won't have rebound to the smaller reductions and only had it when you reduced by 20mg. I am interested in what you find out from your doctor, but I doubt you will get many answers, at least I didn't when it came to PPIs, and how to get off them!

I am starting to feel really weird about coming off PPIs. Of course, it is my dream and I won't ever take it again, but it has controlled every aspect of my life for so long now it feels a bit like coming out of prison... I want it desperately, I want to be free, but I also feel I don't quite fit into normal life as it was pre PPIs. I need to readjust to normal life. It feels a bit overwhelming. Does that make sense?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #199
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Kacyc, I can certainly understand your apprehension to discarding your PPi for ever. I know you have been on them a long time as I was too. I am also very nervous as to how I am going to handle it with food etc. For me, I feel back when I started on them it should only have been for a very short time to clear up the inflammation that I was told I had. they didn't say where the inflammation was but I suspect it was in my stomach as it is now. I also had a lot of stress in my life plus I popped aleve like it was candy, which I think started the inflammation up. So that I had nausea almost every day. I started on Aciphex but it seemed to take forever to help, if it ever did. Or the inflammation could have cleared up itself again it took around 3 months before I started to feel better. I want to find out from the doctor if the inflammation in my stomach was the cause of my distress for so long this time. I think when I cut the PPI by 20mgs that was another issue that made things worse. I don't know if by endoscopy they can tell if you have gerd/acid reflux so I need to find out and if he saw anything. so far there has been no mention of it. Today I have only taken the 15mgs and I am feeling that 'throat thing' again so I am sure the acid is rising again. I hope eventually when my body balances out I can get back to pre PPI without the inflammation in the stomach.
    I feel sure you are careful with your diet and you can only find out how you will do without the PPI by trying it. I would start on a week-end when you don't have to work and then see what happens. Keep some tums or an otc handy for the early days to maybe help balance things. Let us know if and when you try it and I wish you lots of good luck and hope it all works and you feel wonderful without the PPI. then maybe gradually you can introduce some different food little by little.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 AM   #200
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Sorry you're feeling overwhelmed Kacyc
    I feel a bit like that
    Am starting to realise I can't go back to my old life if I want to come off PPI'S...as in gone are the days when I could eat what I like
    I do think some of my digestion problems are due to having no gallbladder, and I think my reflux is half acid half bile. If it was all bile the PPI wouldn't help

But on the whole I believe PPI'S have a place for healing, short term, and maybe long term in those at risk of Barratts O. But in most people the side effects mean short term use is best

Old 06-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #201
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I didn't quite mean adjusting to not being able to take PPIs, I meant getting used to a normal full life again as so much has not been possible during the rebound months.

I am not expecting any major reaction to going from 1 granule to zero granules, I'm sure it will feel the same as going from 10 granules to 9, or 4 to 3. I have been on less than 2mg for about 3 months, and I doubt coming off the last ball will set me back any further than other ball has done. I have not used any OTC meds, apart from the very occasional spoon of gavi' and I don't expect any massive reaction to occur when I come off the final ball. That is the benefit of having done it so slowly, you are slowly adjusting all the time.

I have gradually been introducing more foods as time goes by and I hope that one day I will be able to eat as normal, but just to be pain free will be good enough.

It was more the aspect of emerging out of a dark hole I meant was feeling weird. I have no feelings about needing PPIs. Its like being locked away for 2 years watching the world move on around you and not being able to take part, and suddenly you realise you are free to be part of that world. But hey, its something I will willingly get used to!

Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #202
    Deeor
    (female)

Deeor HB User

Hello Kacyc, I have been reading the conversation and it is very interesting... I am not sure of what I am suffering from yet as I have been to different A/E trying to get answers, did x-rays, ECG, and Blood test all came back normal.... What I have notice is that when I eat and swallow my food does not go down easily and kinda losing weight also at night when I bring mucus/spit out of my mouth I bring out a bit of blood, I do experience from my chest, Breast, side of breast, back, left shoulder sometimes or right shoulder.. I am soo worried, alway looking for answers since this only stared about less than a month ago, I am very confused.

It only started as stuff feel stuck in my throat and with chest pain, went to A/E did the test said all was normal and they gave me omeprazole to use 40mg but realise since I have been on omeprazole 40mg, I have been experiencing all sort of pain... I stop it for awhile but felt the intensity of the thing stuck in my throat wen I eat, (a friend told me to take it vearly before I eat, an hour or soo later eat, that I would feel a bit ok) I tried it this morning n had to go back on omeprazole which I started back today on 20mg which kind of help but feeling lighter pain.... I am sooo tired

I am worried cos I am loosing weight and being only a size10 if I would anymore

Last edited by Deeor; 06-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #203
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Deeor, Sorry you are having such issues. It sounds just about similar to what everyone else here is working with. You said you went to the A/E and they did 'the test' what test were you referring to? Have you seen a gastro doctor? Digestive issues are so variable and different for every person. I hope you have found some support on this forum as it helped me a whole lot. I was in a very dark place in February when I found this forum and the support has been great. Lily

Old 06-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #204
    Deeor
    (female)

Deeor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlily View Post
    Hi Deeor, Sorry you are having such issues. It sounds just about similar to what everyone else here is working with. You said you went to the A/E and they did 'the test' what test were you referring to? Have you seen a gastro doctor? Digestive issues are so variable and different for every person. I hope you have found some support on this forum as it helped me a whole lot. I was in a very dark place in February when I found this forum and the support has been great. Lily
    Hi Lily, thanks for ur reply... The A/E (accident and emergence) took my blood to run various test to be honest I was scared n worried to know exactly what they where looking for, I guess they where testing to see if there was anything alarming they should be worried about, but thank God that came back ok... They also did chest x-Ray to see whether if there was lump or anything worrying but it came out clear.... wen I felt sharp pain in my chest area did not know what to do I had to go to the hospital, I am waiting for my Gp referral for an endoscopy.. It takes very long here before you can get an appt... I was hoping to get an endoscopy (I guess that wen they put a camera down the to look down the lungs) don't immediately wen I went to the A/E but was told my Gp would have to get it done.... Pls do know what I can do not to lose anymore weight or food I can eat for now before I get to see someone

Old 06-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #205
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Deeor, Yes anything to do with digestion is very confusing. How long have you been taking the Omeprazole? Do you take it first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast. Are you taking 20mgs once a day. As far as food is concerned I would go to very bland foods and be very careful with carbs and sweets. In fact sugar (which I am addicted to) is your enemy at the moment. Coffee is a no no and citrus fruits too. tomatoes that are cooked as in sauces soups etc are too acidic. A little raw tomato appears to be OK. it is best not to eat at least 3 hours before bedtime as well and prop up your bed so that you are not lying flat.
    I am also on Omeprazole but I am trying to wean myself of it at the moment. I have taken a PPI for many years and this February I started to get sick. I lost 22lbs in under 3 months.
    I hope it won't be too long before you get some answers as I know it is a miserable situation to have to deal with on your own. The endoscopy will be able to tell the doctor what is going on with your gall bladder esophagus and stomach. I hope I have given you a little bit of help but until you sort of know the whys and what it going on it is somewhat difficult. Has you doctor given you any kind of instructions?

The following user gives a hug of support to imlily:
    Deeor (06-08-2014)
    Old 06-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #206
    Mompa1
    (female)

Mompa1 HB User

Hi Everyone, I quit taking Prilosec cold turkey two months ago for other health reasons. I have been on PPI's for over 15 years. The rebound just started to get bad a week ago and not immediately. Now my throat is on fire and is so red with acid burns. My last EGD was 6 months ago and showed mild reflux. I can only imagine what they would find now. I just started Zantac 75 two days ago for some relief. I won't go back on a PPI. My question is can you continuously burn in your throat and stomach and not have any damage? Also, it seems as if carbs irritate my stomach and sugar burns.

Jennifer

Old 06-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #207
    Administrator
    Senior Veteran

Administrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB User

Please do not start or participate in long general subject threads. Rather, start your own New Thread to discuss your own specific symptoms, and only answer the person that started the thread.

This is so that each person can get the attention you each deserve.

Closed Thread